1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Opening up a bar....

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by MarkI, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Have fun filing Ch 13. Hope your investors are happy. That's probably the only people who would patronize your shitty establishment anyways.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Negro please. I don't need investors. Only the poors get investors. I'm ballin'.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

When I start to want to really get money together for a place....remind me being a patron is much better. kthanxbi

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

:fonz: Unless you are planning on making a fuckton of money, I'm not sure why you'd risk your own capital. If I want a way to waste a lot of money, or not make money from an investment, I'll start doing large amounts of cocaine. Would be much better than blowing it on my occupation, which uh after all is suppose to be a source of income.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

for sure

6. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

Right, but of the two I think I'd pick the low-margin high-volume place instead of hoping the rich come find me. I haven't worked in bars but I imagine it's easier to get clients if you cater to a broad audience and have a small unique twist instead of excluding groups of people and hoping the remainder come.

7. kwilkinson

FWIW, I actually agree. I don't understand why people want to run out so badly and open their own place. The risk is so huge and the reward so potentially small. Much better to play around with someone else's wallet. I just hope that, given the chance, the person has rather deep pockets and doesn't mind a little bit of "wastage" going down my gullet.

8. erdawe

erdawe Well-Known Member

Pio??.

9. kwilkinson

Hopefully!

10. babylon

babylon Active Member

not worth the hassle

11. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

that is some insane hours right there. can i ask how much were your parents paying themselves and how much profit was there per year?

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

I've never owned a bar, but I've been in more than a few and known some folks who did own bars, with varying degrees of success, and all of this seems dead on. I would add that you cannot drink while you are working. That's just the way it is if you want to succeed.

There are few other businesses that have as much government oversight as the bar business. You have the liquor control board. You have the cops. You have a bazillion rules about how far you must be from churches, schools, daycare centers, etc--kind of like being a sex offender, if you think about it. You can be sued if some drunk goes out and hits someone. You have alcoholic idiots, both behind and in front of the counter. If you don't pay attention, pretty soon you have drug dealers slipping lines to the bar maids for free drinks and head in the parking lot. There is a reason that they call it adult daycare.

The most successful bar owner I ever knew--and he was REALLY successful--treated beer like gold, and, really it was. He knew exactly how many glasses of beer were in a keg and exactly how much profit. Although he was a generous guy, he would no sooner give you a free beer than a krugerrand. And the tavern proved lucrative. He established friendships and business partnerships with clientele, bought some real estate that did well with them as partners, etc. The tavern was the engine. But he worked his ass off at it. I've been in other bars where the owner weighed the bottles before and after every shift--it was the only way to prevent over-pouring, and one over-pouring bartender can break you.

I think the reason that most bars fail is that they're started by bar flys/frat boys who don't understand it's a business just like any other business, except in this business, there's always drunks and alcohol around, and that can get weird. It gets weirder still if you drink in your own place, which should be another rule: Even when you're not working, drink elsewhere. Lawyers and doctors and accountants don't drink at the office, and this is really no different. In my experience, every bar run by someone who drank in their own place failed, and that's about a half-dozen bars.

So, yeah, you can make a lot of money, I think, but don't think it's easy or a party. And don't listen to anyone who looks at rules like these and says they're too strict or that you're a tightass for having them and enforcing them.