1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Many thanks, guys. Leaves, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. If I go bespoke, my tuxedo will cost more than her dress. However, she picked the dress, not me :). And there are plenty of other details that are more important to her (see, e.g., centerpieces).

I appreciate the thoughts! I agree with your sentiments. Also, thank you for sharing your pictures recently. I especially like that C&M jacket.

Ha, I agree. I did not think about it from that perspective. I am very torn about the style, though.

As an initial matter, it is an evening wedding. Church wedding, following by a reception in a historic home. I would prefer to wear white tie. But I am not commissioning a white tie rig. And in any event, white tie was vetoed by the bride.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. S K M

S K M Well-Known Member

Just ended this bespoke project: a cardigan-jacket made from heavy, double-faced cashmere (LL), no canvas at all and self-lined in the front, half-lined with silk (from Keyte) in the back which has also been used for the piping. Admittedly, it is quite an oddity – and mainly intended for home and very casual wear – but I have already enjoyed it a lot. Being a strange beast it no doubt helped that my tailor, Francesco Guida, understood my idea, and I also noticed that he was very proud of this creation :)

Anyway, here are some photos from his sartoria as well of a (poor) fit pic. I will see if I can take some better photos myself, at least showing the inside of the jacket which is really a work of art.

[​IMG]

The jacket inside-out:
    [​IMG]

And the back of the jacket:
    [​IMG]

And fit (in an uneven pose)
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  3. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Well-Known Member

What a pity. Your own wedding would be the perfect occasion to emulate Adolphe Menjou in this picture. Wedding. Reception. Shoe cabinet tour. White tie of course.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Newcomer

From what I understand, the shoe tour has yet to be nixed.

1 person likes this.
  5. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like you need a ton of convincing, but a few thoughts.
    1. No Men's Wearhouse. You're already on the right path. As someone who's unfortunately been party to a MW friendly wedding, I can't emphasize how smart that refusal is.
    2. If you can legitimately get 10ish wears per year, I think it's an eminently justifiable splurge.
    3. As you said, it is your wedding. There's really no better reason than that.
    4. Except for, as you mention, a bespoke tux is, indeed, fuckin awesome [​IMG]

What are the specs you're looking at for the tux/waistcoat, assuming you're also getting the latter?

Fwiw, while I believe it's considered less formal, something about a shawl collar tux sings to my soul...and it sounds something like Whitney hitting a high note.

6. Newcomer

I do not need much convincing. However, I do enjoy the encouragement.

1. - yeah, MW weddings are atrocious. I have been a groomsman or usher in about 7 weddings this past year, all of which required us to get MW tuxes. Nothing like paying a few hundred dollars to rent legitimate trash.

2. - I can always pull an @Andy57 and wear it to dinner as well.

3. - :nodding:

4. - :nodding:

I will certainly be getting a waistcoat. That is really one of my main reasons for wanting a bespoke tux. Probably a traditional double-breasted waistcoat. As for the jacket, SBPL is what I am leaning towards (although I love a shawl lapel as well). Most likely satin facings. Pleated, high waisted trousers. Leaning towards black. Although I do love midnight blue.

Something like the far left:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. ericgereghty

Great choice, especially if the vest is similar to Vox's.

Also, LOVE that jacket on far right as well.

8. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

If the bride wants him to wear a tuxedo, then I say wear a tuxedo. I believe the OP is an American? It's a bit unconventional in Europe for sure, but it's becoming more and more common.

1 person likes this.
  9. Newcomer

Actually, born Canadian - but marrying a southern Louisiana girl in southern Louisiana.

1 person likes this.
  10. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It is a dinner jacket, after all. Why would you not?

[​IMG]

The picture was not intended for publication, just a selfie we took. Last Saturday night at Le Toque, Napa.

7 people like this.
  11. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

@Newcomer Just offering as an alternative: get a RTW Formosa or Eidos tux, have Chris make you a matching waistcoat, and put the "savings" of buying a RTW tux toward your next jacket commission from Chris.

13. Newcomer

That is my other option right now - although I would probably just wear a cummerbund. It is still very much in contention, and it is a very solid option. If I do Formosa, it will have to be MTM, but that is not a big deal. I would strongly consider Eidos. And The Armoury's tux is quite lovely as well.

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

^ Since there aren't great RTW waistcoat options, that seems like a good use of some bespoke funds to me. But a cummerbund would certainly work.

Is the Armoury tux Orazio?

15. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

Words I live by.

1 person likes this.
  16. ericgereghty

As much as I want to, literal adherence would require keeping a "spare" tux and all its bells & whistles at the office.

One day, though sadly not yet!

17. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the problem.

4 people like this.
  18. ericgereghty

You know what? I don't have anything resembling a good answer to that!
    [​IMG]

19. jolinlovesjunya

jolinlovesjunya Well-Known Member

A few ongoings with Sartoria Dalcuore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    4 people like this.
  20. jolinlovesjunya

jolinlovesjunya Well-Known Member