1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OneButton or 3-roll-2: What do you think (not that it matters)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 3, 2009.

1. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Too close.

+ 1

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's time for a fourth button.

Now you can post that Brooks ad, V.

By the immortal hand of Doohan, I will:

[​IMG]

...and someone wearing such a BB suit:

[​IMG]

- B

3. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Isn't there some rule about spacing that the top most lapel button hole near the collar should be spaced at an integer multiple (either 1 or 2) of the spacing between the buttons below? That is in Foo's case if there were a hypothetical button hole above the upper most rolled button hole on the 3/2, it would both cut the distance between the uppermost hole near the collar and the rolled button hole and this would make the spacing between all button holes the same?

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

By the immortal hand of Doohan, I will:

I am sorely pleased with my coat like this and would like to have another.

5. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult or rehash many topics (and I realize in saying that I'm simply going to be difficult and rehash topics), but isn't this more evidence of the flaw of the OneShoe. You bought a bunch of Marinella ties, talked about how great they were, and later determined they were unsuitable. You had a bunch of one-button coats made and now find them unsuitable. Tastes, desires, etc. change. You've proven that yourself. However, have you not insisted that the OneShoe works, because you couldn't possibly change your opinion on such a sartorial matter? It seems you have, in fact, several times found your tastes and desires changing. Why would that be the case for ties, coats, etc., but not for shoes? Isn't it possible that a year from now, you'll look at your shoes and think the same thing you did about your ties, one-button coats, etc.?

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult or rehash many topics (and I realize in saying that I'm simply going to be difficult and rehash topics), but isn't this more evidence of the flaw of the OneShoe. You bought a bunch of Marinella ties, talked about how great they were, and later determined they were unsuitable. You had a bunch of one-button coats made and now find them unsuitable. Tastes, desires, etc. change. You've proven that yourself. However, have you not insisted that the OneShoe works, because you couldn't possibly change your opinion on such a sartorial matter? It seems you have, in fact, several times found your tastes and desires changing. Why would that be the case for ties, coats, etc., but not for shoes? Isn't it possible that a year from now, you'll look at your shoes and think the same think you did about your ties, one-button coats, etc.?

[​IMG]

7. voxsartoria

I thought that I instructed everyone to leave [​IMG] alone.

I mean it.

- B

8. voxsartoria

I am sorely pleased with my coat like this and would like to have another.

You have one of those? A BB?

I'm jealous.

- B

9. DocHolliday

You have one of those? A BB?

I'm jealous.

No, not a BB, just in the excessively buttonholed period style.

10. voxsartoria

No, not a BB, just in the excessively buttonholed period style.

I encourage you to work this into a WAYWRN.

- B

11. DocHolliday

I encourage you to work this into a WAYWRN.

Been there already, I think. Painfully vintage.

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

I think it looks great on that jacket and probably would on all your tweedy stuff.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult or rehash many topics (and I realize in saying that I'm simply going to be difficult and rehash topics), but isn't this more evidence of the flaw of the OneShoe. You bought a bunch of Marinella ties, talked about how great they were, and later determined they were unsuitable. You had a bunch of one-button coats made and now find them unsuitable. Tastes, desires, etc. change. You've proven that yourself. However, have you not insisted that the OneShoe works, because you couldn't possibly change your opinion on such a sartorial matter? It seems you have, in fact, several times found your tastes and desires changing. Why would that be the case for ties, coats, etc., but not for shoes? Isn't it possible that a year from now, you'll look at your shoes and think the same thing you did about your ties, one-button coats, etc.?

I think this is a thoughtful and fair consideration. However, I was very plain about the OneShoe concept: the finality and consistency of a shoe wardrobe composed of only one, versatile classic shoe are uniquely valuable to me, and cannot be achieved otherwise. I never pretended that the OneShoe represents the perfect or ideal shoe. In fact, a key assumption underlying the OneShoe project was that, no matter what shoe I picked, it would never keep me from envying other shoes.

In the case of button holes, I have always viewed the one-button configuration as possibly tentative, since it could always be converted. Will I regret switching to 3-roll-2, if I switch? Maybe. But I am willing to wager that either configuration is classic and correct enough that my regret will be marginal, at best, and far outweighed by the satisfaction of having one consistent, final jacket format throughout my wardrobe. In other words: even if I preferred one configuration over the other, I'd rather have all my jackets of the less preferred configuration than some of each.

14. voxsartoria

I can wait for the day that you adopt the OneMeal.

I'm guessing something based on noodles.

- B

15. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I can wait for the day that you adopt the OneMeal.

I'm guessing something based on noodles.

My OneMeal would be Peking duck. I don't even have to think about it.

But, to answer you seriously, OneMeal and OneShoe are completely different matters. Beyond measures of physical utility and social decorum, shoes (like all clothing) are about personal style. Wearing one kind of something is a very bold stylistic statement, even if you don't like what's being said--so there's value in that. There is no value (to me, or that I can conceive of for anybody else) in eating only one meal.

16. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Well-Known Member

I think you should go for it. Although in your Fooed photo it looks like the button spacing is kind of close. It might be a proportional thing due to your stature though. I personally think 3/2 looks best and would surely complement your "natural shoulder/ivy league american" tinged styling.

17. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

In junior high, I ate tuna fish everyday at school for about six months. I miss those halcyon days prior to the threat of mercury poisoning.

18. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Well-Known Member

In junior high, I ate tuna fish everyday at school for about six months. I miss those halcyon days prior to the threat of mercury poisoning.
    Must've been real popular with the girls.

19. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I think you should order a new 3-roll-2 jacket first. See if you like it before altering this one. (I like the pre-Foof 1 button photo better FWIW, not that it matters [​IMG] What does Rubinacci think of altering it? I thought it was his idea to do the 1-button.

20. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Must've been real popular with the girls.

I'm sure the lesbians would have dug it.