• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

one meal in LA, less than 1 hour from LAX

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Bouchon, Beverley Hills.
Good rec, but probably at the outer bounds of the time limit in heavy traffic, since it's not very freeway-accessible. On the plus side, if you get drunk you can walk to my place and sleep it off.
Originally Posted by Manton
I have not been in ten years so maybe it sucks now.
Surprisingly, no
Originally Posted by globetrotter
cool, totally not what I was looking for, but I think that it'll work.

I think you'd like it. Food's great. But know that it's noisy and a bit cramped. Not prohibitively so, but worth noting, depending on the social situation

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Tito's Tacos.

Best restaurant in the history of humanity. Assuming you're not a fancy-pants beta ***** who can't handle cheap and amazing Mexican.

you may be an expert on self-pleasuring, but you know absolutely nothing about mexican food.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
you may be an expert on self-pleasuring, but you know absolutely nothing about mexican food.

laugh.gif
worship.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Chego on Overland near the 10 too far? It's California Korean fusion.

--Andre

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Tito's Tacos is ******* awesome. I'm not terribly concerned with how authentic it is or is not. Fast food Mexican has become its own subgenre of food, and Tito's is the ne plus ultra of that subgenre.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seriously? i thought you were joking. let's put it this way: if you like taco bell, you'll LOVE tito's tacos.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
seriously? i thought you were joking. let's put it this way: if you like taco bell, you'll LOVE tito's tacos.

Tito's Tacos is so far beyond the realm of Taco Bell that it's not even funny.

I get, by your username, that you're a food snob. And that's cool. That's cool. But all too often, foodies lose their appreciation for the common or the untrendy. If it's not This Season's Big Thing, it's worthless.

I have no doubt that your definition of great Mexican food in LA involves a trek down to some godforsaken hellhole in the bowels of East LA, which you love primarily for the coolness factor and only secondarily for the quality of the food.

Stop me if that's not you. But I know quite a few folks like that, and they drive me ******* nuts. You could cut the pretension with a steak knife.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not even going to get into a discussion of snobbery on a forum where people post pictures of their $300 tennis shoes. but there is a difference between crap and quality. it doesn't have anything to do with cost. if you're happy eating ground meat tacos, that's just great. there are plenty of people who are happy wearing dockers. let's just not mistake it for some kind of populism.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, foodguy isn't the prototypical "foodie" in any way, shape or form. He isn't about trends at all; he's about quality and value.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foodguy is a G. I've shared tacos with him in Ramona Gardens with a couple of hynas not too long ago.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
But all too often, foodies lose their appreciation for the common or the untrendy.

And all too often people write off the legitimate criticism of anyone who disagrees with them as 'snobbery'.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tito's Tacos - ugh. I have a buddy that raved to me about Tito's for years and I was legitimately excited to give it a try. I don't think I could have been more disappointed. That's not even the right word - I was more grossed out. I think it's one of those things that some people develop a taste for in childhood and it becomes a comfort food, like pop tarts or something. I grew up eating my grandmother's home made enchiladas, chile verde, albondigas and fideo, so Tito's isn't comforting to me. It reminds me of the Jack in the Box Supertaco.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Is Chego on Overland near the 10 too far? It's California Korean fusion. --Andre
More of a fast food rice bowl place with an upscale kick...its good stuff though...I love Chego....not open Sunday or Monday. I went to A-frame in Culver City the other night, not too bad....I think I like chego better though. They had a great beer can chicken...its a very interesting restaurant. Lots of food you eat with your hands (the theme is an upscale hipster picnic) in an A-framed restaurant.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hated Titos the first few times I went there. Didn't understand it. "What the hell kind of taco is this?"

"Totally plain burritos".

but then I started just craving it like a crack addict. something about that salsa is just pretty kickass, espeically with the overcrunchy taco shells. Dip a chip in the beef burrito insides, then pour some salsa and some "avocado sauce"...its a weird craving. You have to go there a lot to really appreciate it.

Down the street on Culver and Inglewood, I love me some El Abenejo...their carnitas taquitos are awesome. Tacomiendo across the street too and the other taco spot right there...all good stuff in that intersection.

You'll stick out like a sore thumb with a suit on at any of these places though.

Maricos Chente would be good though. They have this tequila lime shrimp with cream that is pretty awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads