1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

On the Street in NYC....Old Man Mory

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, May 12, 2006.

1. The Sartorialist

The Sartorialist Well-Known Member

2. darkoak

darkoak Well-Known Member

Very cool! How did he get that much waist suppression though? He's wearing a corset?

3. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

He was on the front page of the NYT Thursday Styles section, wearing that tie and a different shirt.

Looks much better here than in that photo. In the NYT one, seemed almost as if both tie and shirt were almost the same pattern[​IMG]

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

He's got style, that's for sure.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Mory always looks great! This outfit would fail on 99.999% of guys but he rocks it.....like a hurricane.

6. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Wow. There is no way I could pull that off but I must say - that is a bloke with panache. Nice.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

8. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

The waist suppression is breathtaking (pun only partially intended).

9. darck

darck Well-Known Member

The colorful tie and shirt combination probably wouldn't work on someone else, but he really radiates confidence and therefore is able to pull it off.

Btw, is that the same jacket we've seen on him before or does he have several suits cut that way?

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I dunno. Something about it I just don't like. Too much waist supression, perhaps, which is unusual for me to say. Too much hourglass perhaps?

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

The shirt and tie are a bit much. I mean, it works, but in a costumey way.

I have no problems with the suppression on the waist, but I'd prefer a bit more structure in the shoulders to make it more military and less feminine (not that he actually looks feminine by any means.) Plus, this would help keep his head from looking so large.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I think his multicolored bracelet is an interesting accessory...wonder if there's a story behind it or if he just thought it'd look cool with his carnival palette he's chosen for the day?

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Who is this Mory dude?

14. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

The tie is too short. He wears his suits a bit too close-fitting for my taste, but he seems to know how to "work it".

15. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

He looks mildly ridiculous.

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

I find that black people can really pull off color combinations most wouldn't even think about. Looks good on him. Couldn't say the same for myself. The coat looks too tight though. Too much of an hourglass shape.

17. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Hate the tie. Love the shirt. And jeepers, how does the man breathe? Way too much suppression!

18. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Awful.

[​IMG]

Well, I wouldn't go that far but the tie and shirt together are a bit much. That shirt looks like it might cause vertigo if he took the jacket off. Also, stripes on the shirt and the checkered pattern on the tie just seem to clash too much. The tie is also tied real short, which I don't think is helping. Although, if I had to choose between dressing like him and dressing like 90% of the guys I see on the street, I'd pick dresing like Mory.

19. gza

gza Well-Known Member

Waist suppression? It looks more like mid-torso suppression to me.

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well, I wouldn't go that far but the tie and shirt together are a bit much. That shirt looks like it might cause vertigo if he took the jacket off. Also, stripes on the shirt and the checkered pattern on the tie just seem to clash too much. The tie is also tied real short, which I don't think is helping. Although, if I had to choose between dressing like him and dressing like 90% of the guys I see on the street, I'd pick dresing like Mory.

I was being charitable. Remember, I am one of the guys who liked the Thom Browne stuff, so don't assume that I bash all of these pictures.

That said, this guy looks like a freaking clown. I would not go near that shirt or that tie. They are both abominations and fly in the face of any sense of taste. The jacket cut is really severe, but I can get past that. I look at the shirt and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the tie and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the two together and think that Ronald dropped a couple hits of acid.