1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

On the Street in NYC....Duncan Quinn

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, Mar 29, 2006.

1. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

The velvet guy didn't look mean.

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Re Duncan Quinn, like others I hate the patch pockets, the tie knot, and think the jacket and pants are too tight. Also, I hope that is a RTW shirt and not his MTM, because the cuffs are too small for his watch, and the sleeves are too short.

3. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

The velvet guy didn't look mean.

He just looked goofy.

I think some people just look "mean" or "sad." A friend of mine is always told that he looks as if his dog was run over by a car, but he's actually a very chipper kind of guy.

As for this Wheelock, I've never noticed her in Details. Sounds useless.

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I think I actually first saw Duncan Quinn in an issue of Last way back when. Might have been the NYC shoestore issue. Didn't know who he was then, but thought his scowl attempt was funny then too. He had the rooster going then too.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Is it me or does everything about this guy scream "I am trying incredibly hard" in a bad way.

HACKING patch pockets have a tendency to do that. Of course I've never seen them before, so that could be why!

6. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

I usually like the Duncan Quinn aggressive look, as I secretly wish I was a bad-ass instead of an academic.

But...

WHY are there creases in his shirt cuffs? This irritates the hell out of me -- you see it all the time on muppet TV presenters who don't know better -- it's as if they were ironing the creases into the sleeves and thought "Screw it... I'm going to take this all the way into the cuffs!"

7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I usually like the Duncan Quinn aggressive look, as I secretly wish I was a bad-ass instead of an academic.

But...

WHY are there creases in his shirt cuffs? This irritates the hell out of me -- you see it all the time on muppet TV presenters who don't know better -- it's as if they were ironing the creases into the sleeves and thought "Screw it... I'm going to take this all the way into the cuffs!"

Many times those who look the most bad ass are the least and vice versa.

8. j

j Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

more at The Sartorialist http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

The most obvious problem I see here, and I am surprised no one has noted it, is the extremely high waist created by the cut of the jacket. The rest of the fit issues are pretty minimal - If he pulled his jacket sleeves down they would probably look okay, and the chest and shoulders could have more room, but otherwise it looks reasonably good. But look how high his waist appears to be because the hips fit and the chest is too small and tapers to well above his real waist.

9. Fabro

Fabro Well-Known Member

His head seems out of proportion, like a bad photoshop job where one person's head was stuck on another's body without scaling it first.

That said, I actually do like the colours here quite a bit. The fit is a little extreme for my taste, but I like the direction of a closer fit.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

To me, everything looks great on this picture - except for that tie knot

11. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

I like the patch pockets.

12. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

I would not trust the advice of a men's clothing salesman so attired.

13. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Looks a bit rough to be a proper dandy.

And not rough in the gentleman pervert sort of way.

15. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

He looks like a young Ed Sullivan.

16. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Fight Fight Fight---
    [​IMG]

I don't like Ugly ties and metro "garish" faux hawk.
    But I think he has the looks of a great character in
    Fight Club II: Drunken Irish Monkey Man In Monkey Suit Throwdown[​IMG]

17. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

He looks like he's trying to get a part in a Guy Ritchie movie. Which started being really naff after 1999... Now, of course, he'd be hoping for a role as a stand-in in The Transporter 3, where Jason Statham drives a container ship full of Legos.

Amazing. The man nicks a British look that was cutting-edge circa 1998-99 -- garishly loud ties, stripey colorful shirts -- and finds that with a British name and maybe a British accent he can sell his overly styled clothes to us Yanks.

LabelKinbote, don't be coy. You wouldn't kick him away from your ping-pong table.

18. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Well-Known Member

He looks like he is about to throw down.

He looks to me like he's about to throw up.

19. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

Amazing. The man nicks a British look that was cutting-edge circa 1998-99 -- garishly loud ties, stripey colorful shirts -- and finds that with a British name and maybe a British accent he can sell his overly styled clothes to us Yanks.

OK. Some of the mystery of the GFM is going to be dispelled here, for the sake of defending DQ. We worked at the same law firm (I recently left), where he is an associate in the corporate group. He is indeed English and graduated from Bristol Uni and Grays Inn. He took an LLM from Columbia. He's a cool and extremely smart guy.

The store/clothing is a side line. He's doing what I think many of us might like to do: pursue a practical career and a true love.

20. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

-To be honest, I do think the suit fits him fine other than the cuffs[​IMG] .

However, the hairtcut, ring, horid haircut, stance, and facial expression,haircut, and the tie from hell just about destroy any hope.