1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

On suicide

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MarkI, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

While I understand the sentiment and I suppose it's true in some technical sense, the idea that suicide is a selfish act is incredibly simplistic. It does not speak to the state of mind of a depressed person and discourages real understanding of their thought processes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Someone taking that decision ,especially if it is premeditated, is on an incredible degree of mental suffering..

We cannot just judge through a rational behavioural lens or simplepreconceived idea /mental stereotypes because we haven't walked their life paths.

It is always a tragedy..

3. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

A friend apparently shot himself in the head last month. Initial reports were that it was due to financial issues, then marital issues but everyone that knew him can't believe he actually did it. So a private investigation has been opened. I hope they find otherwise, even tho it wont bring him back. I miss my dude.

4. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Maybe his wife had marital problems and decided to act on it...

Sorry for your friend..

5. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, our past convos about his marriage and his will makes me believe otherwise...

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Neo will love you if you know famous people...

7. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Neo IS famous people.

8. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Neo is Justin Bieber?

9. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

No way..

Justin had a girlfriend..

10. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Found out a friend of my best friend committed suicide this past weekend. He saw his wife off in the morning. He stayed behind. Drank tons of liquor. Walked into the backyard. Pulled the trigger. My friend is taking it extremely hard. Feelings of guilt, that he thought he could have done something to prevent it.

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Wow, that sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Not much to be said that isn't useless platitudes, in my experience the best thing you can do is keep your buddy company. Rough times.

12. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Thank you Blackhood. And you are right, just keeping him company. Letting him talk. Letting him not talk.

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

So what did the investigation conclude?

14. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

It's still ongoing, sadly.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

3 of my friends have taken their lives.
    One (19 yrs old) was an alcoholic who drove his car into a telephone pole.
    The second one, (22 yrs old) had been diagnosed with HIV and drove his car into a concrete wall.
    The third (34 yrs old) hung himself in his parents garage for reasons still unknown, leaving a wife and small son.

A few other of my friends died very young: One (21) in a car accident was decapitated. Another went to his mothers home, layed on her sofa for a nap, and never woke up. He was only 36. And yet another (39) died of cancer, leaving a wife and 2 small daughters. All of these people were very dear to me and it is a terrible loss and the world is lonelier without them, may they all rest in peace.

I myself made 3 attempts at 19, 22 & 29. I won't give details. I am glad I failed. For all of lifes challenges, I am content to be alive.

I would tell anyone who is thinking of ending their life,
    to get help. Call a distress Centre. Get a Therapist. Talk to anyone who will isten. Never give up on yourself. There is nothing wrong with you other than you are a beautiful human being trapped in a world of clowns. There are many decent people you will yet meet in your life so just look forward to that.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  17. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Glad you're still with us MOL. Stay strong.

18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Thank you NORE, I appreciate your kind words. Glad you are on the planet too. :cheers:

19. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

I describe living with those feelings as sort of like the schizophrenia depicted in the movie a beautiful mind. He learned his companions weren't real and even though he saw them daily, he learned how to live semi-normally and function around it. And thus it is having suicide cross your mind every day of your life.

People who haven't felt it just can't understand it, especially when you're a high achieving person. But in the end, the collateral damage to loved ones outweighs whatever demons you're fighting.

20. austerlitz

austerlitz Well-Known Member

stumbled on this a tad late. "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." Its one of those cheesy lines they feed you in the army, but for some reason it sticks with me. I personally know three people who have committed suicide, one i was really close to, the other a soldier assigned to me and the a childhood family friend.

My very good friend who had just returned home from Iraq and apparently (so the story goes) shot himself in his bath tub after discovering that his child was fathered by someone else. His death hit close to home because we had been particularly close in school. Because of distance, we had lost touch and it surprised me that he would even kill himself. Its bizarre, the most happy-go lucky guys out themselves. His mother and I are friends on Facebook and once in a while she emails me to talk about her son, which bizarrely I dont want to do. She posts about him all the time, which is a constant reminder.

A guy who was assigned to me some years back also recently killed himself. I was not particularly close to him, but he was also an Iraq vet and apparently had some issues.

Third individual would be a family friend who killed himself after not receiving the desired grade which would have let him graduate from college.

I have had suicidal thoughts in the past, but after my son was born, I dont think it has ever ONCE crossed my mind. I have too much to live for (his future).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.