1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kitonbrioni, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick M

Nick M Well-Known Member

Duffel coat in australia now? In summer?

Melbourne weather's all over the place right now. Which is actually kinda okay. About 40-50F overnight.

2. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

This is probably a bit boring for you guys, but here's my attempted streetwear, fire away:

[​IMG]
    55f Clear Blue sky
    Schott Navy Peacoat
    Ballantyne Blue cashmere turtleneck
    Earnest sewn Fulton
    Zegna buckle boots

3. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

4. lance konami

lance konami Well-Known Member

Nice, soph. Looks great.

5. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

ouch. tough crowd [​IMG]

No shit, I'll have to be more upfront about what I think of some of SuperBobos fits. First I'll have to start posting some of mine own to keep it all ecumenical, but then....

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Well, it's usually about going for an achieving a look. Superbobo's may not be slimming or "flattering" by what most people generally go for, but the workwear aesthetic does not require that. If gdl was going for more of a casual street look with the sneakers (which i'm just not a fan of), then a classy jacket like that isn't really the right option. With krell's hoodie, i'd try to play with the warmer tones more but still keep it pretty casual. It was just a weird mixing of clothes with the casual/warm hoodie, bright chunky sneakers, and a sleak almost dressy overcoat. In the same way, i'm not going to wear my basketball shoes, my pbjs, a dress shirt with a hoodie.

No one is picking on gdl or anything. I think the outfit before was well done, but this one just looked like he randomly picked things out of his closet.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

chronoaug - I think you're mistaking the Steven Alan coat for a dressy coat (and that's probably my pictures' fault to be honest). It's not at all. It's a padded wool coat with a white cotton lining. The flaps are lined with white cotton. It's quite casual actually. I would never wear it with a dressy outfit.

Now one thing I seem to notice here (and it's OK with me, although my group-think radar is ringing pretty loud [​IMG]) is an epidermic reaction to "dunks", i.e. Nike sneakers. I am 30+ years old and Air Force 1s, Air Max and original Air Jordan are what I grew up with. They are part of my streetwear vocabulary just as much as Chucks are for the youngest of you guys. In the last 20 years, I've seen the waves of adoration then backlash against all things Nike. But in my closet are still the first pair of Air Jordan I bought 20 years ago with several months of savings. I know it may sound silly or sappy, but "dunks" have a special place in my heart. I like some of the new designs and colors too - I'm not just a nostalgic of past times. I'm OK with the fact that they're seen as passÃ[​IMG] by the young guys here [​IMG]

Now on today's outfit, you're right that I picked things fairly randomly. I don't think about my outfits that much to be honest. I wanted to wear the MJK today and the longer Alan coat was a nice contrast to the short cut of the hoodie (I thought). The Air Vandals looked like a cool play on the tones of the hoodie. Apparently for some people, it's a mistake... To each his own - I like coordinate a couple of things when I can.

To be clear, I'm totally OK with the criticism. Please feel free to go at it. That's what this forum is for. I guess.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

It's funny that some of the pieces that members of this forum would consider "classy" or formal are "regular" pieces on MC.

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

It's funny that some of the pieces that members of this forum would consider "classy" or formal are "regular" pieces on MC.
    Why? The context of the pieces are entirely different, as are (usually) the other pieces in the outfit. MC is more formal than Streetwear. Berlin, awesome as usual. Not to pile it on too much, but the hair!

10. chronoaug

Well, the jacket just seemed dressy/classy compared to the rest of the ultra casual outfit. I mean, it's not suprising there are different standards considering the different aims of the sub-forums.

It's not just hating on nikes because they're passe, it's that i think those specific nikes are ugly. Rye works his nikes and other sneakers into his outfits really well and there are some sufu guys who find a way to get their old sneakers into their new wardrobe. I do think there are some nikes that just don't really work in normal non-hypebeast looking outfits because they're too loud/ugly. Your shoes could probably work in some other context , but some of those new nikes i've seen are just absolutely hideous.

The problem with comparing chucks (which certainly isn't a new generation phenomenon that you make it to be) to nikes is that some of the nikes/sneakers are just loud and ugly while chucks at least are kinda plain and boring. I don't know, i think you normally do a fine job, but as you said, you didn't really try/care with that outfit and it showed. No hate.

11. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Well-Known Member

That jacket does not seem "classy". I do not think that Soph's outfit is "classy" It seems casual to me. There are different types of casuals but its still casual...

12. SoCal2NYC

Rye works his nikes and other sneakers into his outfits really well and there are some sufu guys who find a way to get their old sneakers into their new wardrobe.

Aka the guys you spank it to before bed?

13. SoCal2NYC

Why? The context of the pieces are entirely different, as are (usually) the other pieces in the outfit. MC is more formal than Streetwear.

Aren't there blazers in S&D?
    Blazers with jeans?

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

Aren't there blazers in S&D?
    Blazers with jeans?

Of course. And even there, they are almost always cut noticeably differently--and more casual--than the sportcoats you usually see in MC. They are almost always shorter, deconstructed jackets, and are often in entirely different fabrics. In other words... they're usually more casual. There's obviously overlap between the forums, but why is it strange that something common in MC would considered formal in a forum devoted largely to denim, hoodies, and sneakers?

15. ghulkhan

I dont think its a matter of this being the SWD forum. I think the people on this subforum are less familiar or interested in clothing of MC. So they have a different point of view. Some people who look at MC or post there would not have this view to the extent some people here do...

16. SoCal2NYC

I dont think its a matter of this being the SWD forum. I think the people on this subforum are less familiar or interested in clothing of MC. So they have a different point of view. Some people who look at MC or post there would not have this view to the extent some people here do...

True. I guess I forget that a lot of the other sub-25 year old peole here are not dressing as "grown up." [​IMG]

17. chronoaug

Aka the guys you spank it to before bed?
    I don't get it. GDL's outfit wasn't good. There is pretty much no defending it except the individual items fit well. The "classy/dressy" comment was more a way to emphasize that the jacket was out of place with the rest of the outfit and less an accurate description of the individual piece. Gulk- Why nitpick words? Would it have made you feel better if i awkwardly tried to describe how his jacket was casual, but more on the dressier part of the casual spectrum? Once again, obviously there are different points of view between members who favor one forum over the other. Hypebeast kids would probably have a different point of view than people here, if you wanted to point that out as well. I don't understand what's going on really? Is this some inter subforum drama that i'm not aware of? People are upset and i'm kinda confused. Can't we all wear velvet blazers and get along?

18. ghulkhan

^^ Sorry I didnt mean to offend. Its just so hard for me to see that as "classy". It just looks too Street for me. It just would not work for me in the dressing up realm...

19. ken

ken Well-Known Member

See... this is why there's a lack of criticism on the forum.

Everybody's outfits look great today!

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

GDL's outfit wasn't good. There is pretty much no defending it
    I think I do get your point by now chronoaug... Pretty loud and clear.

Can we move on to the next target please? [​IMG]

Now where's the door to the Men's Clothing forum again? ah there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.