1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jekyll, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

no to boots with those jeans, obviously

2. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Fuck these ladies, try the jean jacket with a plain white tee and enjoy. Another good look is a gingham check under a jean jacket. Oh, and Hell Blazer is a-ok wit me.

3. bluemagic

bluemagic Well-Known Member

Argh, quit using the word preppy like every other fucking tard that thinks abercrombie is preppy. Wearing a sweater over a dress shirt is not "preppy".
    Agreed. It's so annoying when that term is used to denigrate the simplest things that should be wardrobe staples.
    It's just annoying when people are unconstructively critical. Then again, this is the internet, so I shouldn't be surprised.
    It is your own fault if you cannot glean the constructive content out of the criticism. People really are trying to help. But you must stop covering your ears.

4. DrPat

DrPat Well-Known Member

W+H (Shoulda searched for XS, shoulders are off, sleeves are too long, whatever, clothing. Maybe it'll shrink if I wash it...)

My Tiger Fleece fits the exact same way. I think that is how it is supposed to fit since the sleeves are longer and the shoulders are wider than the French Terry hoodie of the same size.

I fold the cuff in half since I don't like sleeves that come past my wrist.

5. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm so bored, yawnnnnnn. W+H (Shoulda searched for XS, shoulders are off, sleeves are too long, whatever, clothing. Maybe it'll shrink if I wash it...) MJK Ande Whall db
    This is one of the few tiger fleece fits I've seen that actually looks good! You have accomplished what few others have managed to do with a piece that normally looks awkward and child-like. I would not attempt to size down or shrink it. For some pieces a slightly more relaxed look is better.

6. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ga-vroche

Ga-vroche Well-Known Member

8. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

9. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

10. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

Experimenting with the denim jacket. I think it tones down the preppiness of the sweater/shirt combo rather nicely, but that's me.

[​IMG]
    What do you guys think?

Alright bro, we're going to cut this shit up. I'm going to rant. Enjoy.

1) You made a post about how you think as a newb you should post "conservative experiments", so you figure chucks and this whole outfit was a good idea. Please, please, don't do this. The people who post in this thread do not want to see things that look like a confused high school student who has just read his second issue of GQ and really feels he knows where his style is going, or something that looks like a Gap ad. I cannot speak for everyone, and there will always be unknowledgeable/self-conscious/unstylish/stupid/ugly/fat/butthurt people who will tell you to go slow and buy clarks dbs and chucks and APC NS and wear your blue ocbd + v neck j crew sweater combo everyday or whatever else the fuck you idiots are on these days.

But really: first you figure out fit. From this photo, it looks as though you haven't quite got that yet, but it could be the photo. In the other pic which you edited to make a funny-ha-ha, the jeans looked better, if a tad tight. Figuring out how shit fits you doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy a whole bunch of lame shit that fits before you actually start figuring out what kind of clothes you want to wear and how you want to wear them. You can do both at the same time! It will save you money and heartache!

On the other hand, going down that route may allow you to be more comfortable in your skin so to speak, and when you finally get your grubby mittens on things that really tickle your fancy it may be ever so much more fulfilling. But in all likelihood, you will be fine just playing armchair stylist for a while and trying to understand what you want and where you want to go before you throw down the flow.

Back to your fit.

2) So the jeans here don't look very good. Some posters will say they're fine or they're passable, but whatever. You should be shooting for great, not passable. Just like how no one really wants to see bland unstylish shit, we also don't want to see mediocre fit pics. We want greatness, and people will probably not treat you nicely until you demonstrate a glimmer of it. These are the hard, brutal facts of StyleForvm. [​IMG]

3) Your button up-sweater-distressed denim jacket combo looks sloppy/disheveled, uninspired, and a bit awkward. If you're going to try and utilize the age old button up-v neck sweater move it best look pretty good, otherwise it's just going to annoy everyone because frankly, we see this shit all the fucking time and 9 times out of 10 people manage to make it look like ass. Make it crisp, clean and refreshing. You can start with loosing the jacket, because based on your posts, I think it's going to be a little while before you figure out how to use a piece like that effectively. It's basically an ugly jacket, it can work in the right context, this is not it though. Next, you need to get your collar to sit inside the v-neck and not flop around like a flaccid weiner. The sweater looks fine, potentially a little small/short but I can't see your chest/shoulder/arms, it could be fine. Lastly, the chucks: chucks as you're wearing them are more or less stylistically inert; they do little to help or hurt your fit. Perhaps from a birds-eye-view we might say they're hurting in this instance since they're not contributing toward any look or vibe, they're bland and predictable and we don't take too kindly to those things round these parts. For good use of chucks, see some of Fuuma's older fits where uses his beat-to-shit chucks in tandem with slim black jeans, a white uniqlo v and a nice black blazer in an ironic yet stylish way.

4) The larger underlying problem here is that your proportions look bad. In the hanes-APC fit pic you look pretty fit. Maybe you're a big dude, I don't know. Here, your fitness looks questionable because of the way those jeans fit you and the way the denim jacket fits.

A lot of this could be photography. Taking good fit pics is a learning process, a lot of mine have looked like shit, more often than not you receive praise for good photography vs a good outfit, so keep that in mind. Try to use natural lighting, go outside, swallow your embarrassment or whatever and find a good height to shoot from that works with your build. The user BraidKid looks like a runway model in all his fit pics and people basically fap to his shit, but if I do recall correctly the dude is like 5'2 or something. Everyone can look good as long as you're fit, you need the proper threads and photography though.

5) You're still in the phase of your noobhood where you try to respond to all the criticism you receive. Try to loose that, hopefully you will soon look back at your old fit pics and shudder in disgust.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

11. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

gavroche. consistently awesome.

@graphic novelty. your fit's ok. it's basic. you look like most people out there, only your clothes fit better. but shit ain't mindblowing, which is ok. not all of us plebes have to be mindblowing. soporific is the new cool

12. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

crucifixion

goddamn

also, i don't think i could pull off a denim jacket

13. Wupper

Wupper Well-Known Member

Ga-vroche again!

14. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Alright bro, we're going to cut this shit up. I'm going to rant. Enjoy.
    Wow- a rant that was both useful and completely non ad hominem. Rare. Read and learn how to do, boys.

15. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Hope that helps. [​IMG]
    That does help. Thanks. Not to sound like i'm responding to criticism, but I am fairly fit, but i'm short and so it's very hard to find sweaters the fit right. But then, I have very little innate sense of what right actually is; I'm the type of person who is very good at absorbing lots of little bits of information and applying that minutiae. On the flipside, I lack any sort of innate sense of what's good or not. Hence my reliance on internet forums in finding out how to dress. Anyway, here's the sweater/BD as it currently fits. Or doesn't, as the case may be. [​IMG] Also, will polish remove those white stains from the toes of those boots? Or should I buy some sort of spray?

16. db_ggmm

The user BraidKid looks like a runway model in all his fit pics and people basically fap to his shit, but if I do recall correctly the dude is like 5'2 or something. Everyone can look good as long as you're fit, you need the proper threads and photography though.

mind blown by the necessity to learn photography to learn to dress

17. db_ggmm

collar still looks like foreskin

18. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

omfg ga-vroche's fit! a fishtail parka and jeans. craziness. incredible.

19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Which collar? The sweater collar or the B/D collar?

20. garmis

garmis Well-Known Member

^^you look fine my friend. plus you have a very masculine jawline. props

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.