1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahouais

ahouais New Member

Has anyone tried the American Apparel 'peacoat'
    ? I need something pretty warm, and I'm not sure this will cut it. How's the fit?

This could just be me, but I tried it on, and it looked, for lack of a better word, girly. You can definitely tell it's a unisex item. Also, knowing AA, it's probably not going to be that warm.

Love your username, BTW. I've read some essays by him for class and I'm thinking about picking up the book he wrote on Magritte.

2. mfoucault

mfoucault Active Member

my favorite work by him is probably the transcipt of his debate with Noam Chomsky, as he uses much plainer language and is more concise than usual. Otherwise, I love his lecture series 'Abnormal' published as a book. I write a lot about him on my blog.

3. mttlee0

mttlee0 Well-Known Member

Here's the goal - I need a suit for a wedding.

Requirements:
    less than $1000 (I feel if I spend more I might as well go bespoke since Kuhlman's in Seattle offers it for $1800)
    slim-fitting and modern (I'm 5' 8" with 40" chest, 30" waist)
    solid quality & construction

I've browsed the MC forums and it sounds like Dior Homme, Dolce & Gabbana and Dries Van Noten would fit the slim-fitting and quality aspects. Not so sure about price.

What brands would you suggest? Should I consider other options? (fyi, I'm contacting TaT to see if I can get a suit by mid-Oct.)

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

Why do my jeans lose almost their entire original color/fit in 4 months?

every 4 months i go back to american eagle for a new 50$ pair....they look great at first but after 3 months use they suck. 4 months + holes (small) start to appear. and the original color is gone already.

I want a good pair that will last for at least 6 months plus+ in the price range of 50-100$ help?

GQ says:

H&M sliq - raw denim (does that make it good?) 40$
    or
    Levis 511 skinny 55$

There is a direct correlation between what you spend and what you receive with a pair of jeans, especially if you follow advice here, since you'll be directed towards jeans manufacturers that base their reputations more on quality of materials and constrution rather 'trendy' labels and fades.

I expect that, given care, I should get years out of a $200+ pair of raw jeans I beak in myself. The investment of time breaking them in and money spent has been worth it to me. The initial fit and the way a pair will break in will also reap enormous rewards in the long run.

If you really want to stay under $50 for jeans, and wear them daily without altrernating pairs, then yeah, expect much much less. But I know more people who are still hunting for the perfect under-$50 jeans, and will never find them. Ever. Period.

One recommendation I saw given to you is to venture into APC territory and try a pair of New Standards (slimmer fitting) or New Cures (closer to a traditional 501 cut). They're only $155, and at that price point, I'd say the ones I have are defintely worth it. This will give you a chance to experience a good cut, quality construction, amazing denim and the break-in process of raw jeans without venturing into the scary over $250 mark.

5. mlyngard

Self Edge:

Has anyone had a not-so-stellar experience with Self Edge? I'm not belittling the shop, but so far have had a lukewarm experience as compared to Blue in Green and Context. All three also have bricks-and-mortar stores, so I consider them all on level playing field when dealing with online orders.

I ordered Skulls from Self Edge because BiG was out of stock in my size. SE was not only ten bucks more expensive, but also they charge $15 hemming service. BiG does not charge for hemming, and hemmed and shipped a pair of Momtaros I ordered from them the next day. SE taken a week to hem and ship. It's another week via fedex ground to me.

I have been in awe of BiG and Context's customer service over the last year. SE just kinda left me 'meh...'

I know these are small issues, but really, it's a dealbreaker for me if I'm looking for a hard to find item. If Context or BiG has 'em too, it's no contest who gets the order.

6. mlyngard

Here's the goal - I need a suit for a wedding.

Requirements:
    less than $1000 (I feel if I spend more I might as well go bespoke since Kuhlman's in Seattle offers it for $1800)
    slim-fitting and modern (I'm 5' 8" with 40" chest, 30" waist)
    solid quality & construction

I've browsed the MC forums and it sounds like Dior Homme, Dolce & Gabbana and Dries Van Noten would fit the slim-fitting and quality aspects. Not so sure about price.

What brands would you suggest? Should I consider other options? (fyi, I'm contacting TaT to see if I can get a suit by mid-Oct.)

BIG question. It would determine what you spend, the cut, and where you shop for it.

How will you wear this suit after the wedding (i.e. - work? Formal events only? Family events?)

How many seasons of the year do you hope to be able to wear this suit?

Do you gain/lose weight frequently?

Based on 'slim-fitting', I'm assuming you prefer something with a more edgy, trend cut than classic and conservative?

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

are there any cheaper alternatives to the MFSC foul weather deck jacket?
    I have been cruising ebay, but it seems like all of the stuff that pops up is 42-44...

anyone have any ideas of where i might have some better luck?

8. landho

landho Well-Known Member

Where can I buy Obenauf's Leather Preservative in Manhattan? (Would prefer to buy it in person rather than through mail order.)

9. denning

denning Well-Known Member

For fall/winter I am looking to pick up a very thick sweater, preferably cardigan, somewhere along the lines of last years NdG marine cardigan. Looking for black, grey or navy and really really thick. If anyone has seen them, how are this year's NdG offerings?

Recommendations?

10. djs488

djs488 Well-Known Member

I'm a medium in BoO, small in R&B/Steven Alan and a 38 jacket size. Should I go with a small or medium in APC's sweater?

11. sccoopy

sccoopy Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the fit of the shirt? Is it too tight? Thanks
    [​IMG]

12. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Well-Known Member

I think it fits pretty well.

13. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

I'm a medium in BoO, small in R&B/Steven Alan and a 38 jacket size. Should I go with a small or medium in APC's sweater?

L in BoO for me = M in APC sweaters. I'd guess you're a S.

For fall/winter I am looking to pick up a very thick sweater, preferably cardigan, somewhere along the lines of last years NdG marine cardigan. Looking for black, grey or navy and really really thick. If anyone has seen them, how are this year's NdG offerings?

Recommendations?

Link to something on hyr about Inverallan's J.Crew cardigan (and a hint on their collab): here.

Also: a gorgeous NdG chunky cardigan.

Can anyone comment on the fit of the shirt? Is it too tight? Thanks

Looks okay, if a bit large in the arms. No complaints from me.

14. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Well-Known Member

15. chessman305

chessman305 Well-Known Member

Can someone please recommend me a designer for a nice, high quality oxford shirt?

16. itsjustadrian

itsjustadrian Well-Known Member

17. mlyngard

are there any cheaper alternatives to the MFSC foul weather deck jacket?
    I have been cruising ebay, but it seems like all of the stuff that pops up is 42-44...

anyone have any ideas of where i might have some better luck?

Can you elaborate on what MFSC is, and maybe provide a link or picture?

18. mlyngard

I can only speak to APC outerwear jacket sizing, but I'm also a true 38 and I wear Medium on both APC jackets I bought from their '09 collection.

APC in medium is still cut fairly fitted in the shoulders for me, but a perfect cut for a 38, really. I would think their sweaters would follow the same fit philosophy.

This is the jacket I have from Context.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=889

You could always call Sam or Ryan there and ask them their opinion...

19. mlyngard

Can someone please recommend me a designer for a nice, high quality oxford shirt?

Izod is top-notch. They wear forever. Alligator is nice and small now too. Good range of colors too.

20. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

I can only speak to APC outerwear jacket sizing, but I'm also a true 38 and I wear Medium on both APC jackets I bought from their '09 collection.

APS in medium is still cut fairly fitted in the shoulders for me, but a perfect cut for a 38, really. I would think their sweaters would follow the same fit philosophy.

This is the jacket I have from Context.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=889

You could always call Sam or Ryan there and ask them their opinion...

I bought a medium red canvas jacket in Medium and it seems to run a little large.. but that's just my experience with one piece [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.