1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pg600rr

pg600rr Well-Known Member

I got a Jcrew chambray shirt on ebay for pretty cheap, but I noticed it didn't have the " selvedge side gusset" thingy pictured on the Jcrew website.

Did I get some cheaper version of the shirt?

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/single_p...srcCode=FRGL06

u sure its not a factory store J crew shirt?

2. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

u sure its not a factory store J crew shirt?
    I guess it is. How much more shitty/inexpensive is it than the 98$ version? I was led to believe from the auction that I was getting the one from their website.

3. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

How much more shitty/inexpensive is it than the 98$ version?

Reality?

As shitty or as inexpensive as you perceive it to be. If you have to ask how shitty the shirt is, is the shirt shitty at all? The last three posts sum up what's wrong with label chasing.

I get the whole "shafted via Ebay" angle of it, I do, but lets be fair...

4. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

Reality?

As shitty or as inexpensive as you perceive it to be. If you have to ask how shitty the shirt is, is the shirt shitty at all? The last three posts sum up what's wrong with label chasing.

I get the whole "shafted via Ebay" angle of it, I do, but lets be fair...

Nah, I like my shirt and its not shitty by any means. Just curious what I'm missing out on, and if I got ripped off.

Thanks for the help though bro.

5. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

How does one pull off a pink sweater without looking very ghey? Pink shirts aren't tough to pull off, but the only guy I've seen wearing pink sweaters is my uncle from Louisville, who is apparently one of the most influential members of the Pink Dolphin Cult. I normally don't mind dressing ghey, but I've recently heard that some girls at school think I'm actually in to buttsecks.

Seriously though, what might I wear a pink sweater with, while avoiding overt flamboyance?

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

What kind of sweater and what kind of pink/pics?

7. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

You pull it off by not acting gay.

Outside of leather biker gear sans bike, daisy dukes or a shirt that says "sorry girls I suck dick", very little clothing is in and of itself 'gay'. It's in how you carry yourself. A pink sweater doesn't look any 'gayer' than a blue sweater except to people so dumb their opinion doesn't matter. If a girl thinks you are gay, it's got very little to do with your clothing.

But to answer your question, try pairing it back to a strong contrasted plaid or madras short in a red or a denim with a more casual feel. If it's a slimmer cut, prefereably sized up in the inseam and stacked as opposed to slim and fitted.

Clothing CAN however be inherently straight and make you instantly recognizable as straight. Anything from walmart or Kohls for instance.

8. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Well-Known Member

Hahaha at the Kohls-Walmart thing, Mazda has given some good advice. Just remember, most people see slobby looking dudes or people who can't dress themselves and say, "oh he's not gay" whereas people who dress well are already somehow questionable. But none of that should matter a whole lot anyway. A huge part of style is confidence and attitude but you've heard all this before...

9. mink31

mink31 Well-Known Member

What does it mean when a guy has a bandana sticking out of his back pocket? Did I just see a real-life Blood?

10. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

11. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

This probably varies from person to person but about how many inches bigger should a jacket be (pit-to-pit) than my actual chest measurement to comfortably fit a tshirt or buttondown shirt underneath? Assuming the jacket is relatively light, cotton or linen.

12. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

^ It depends on the cut, but in my experience, about 4" is a good rule of thumb, maybe a little less if you prefer a slimmer fit.

13. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

Yeah, that stuff is hard to do without trying the jacket on...

14. awxg

awxg Well-Known Member

What is the proper term for the 4 metal things above the shoe laces?

[​IMG]

15. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

16. stoneb

stoneb Well-Known Member

17. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

Eyelets are the holes that laces go through, the top four on those boots are just hooks (to aid in the speed of lacing/unlacing).

18. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

How does one pull off a pink sweater without looking very ghey? Pink shirts aren't tough to pull off, but the only guy I've seen wearing pink sweaters is my uncle from Louisville, who is apparently one of the most influential members of the Pink Dolphin Cult. I normally don't mind dressing ghey, but I've recently heard that some girls at school think I'm actually in to buttsecks.

Seriously though, what might I wear a pink sweater with, while avoiding overt flamboyance?

[​IMG]

Is this the pink sweater in question?

I see your concern, it's a more feminine shade of pink IMO. I'd say add more masculine pieces as I mentioned last page. try denim as opposed to a pair of slacks. maybe a rumpled dress shirt under and untucked. definitely do it casual to avoide the gay conotation you were worried about.

Also, I find your pink pantser impression dead on in this picture and your john cusack impression in the wayfarer pic you posted is pretty good too.

19. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Eyelets are the holes that laces go through, the top four on those boots are just hooks (to aid in the speed of lacing/unlacing).
    Correct... Also known as speed hooks.

20. stoneb

stoneb Well-Known Member

Can I get away with cuffing or stacking chinos, or do I need to get these hemmed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.