1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedamnscott

thedamnscott Well-Known Member

While wearing a vneck sweater with jeans, would you wear a crewneck shirt underneath or a vneck for noshow?

Thanks!

I do both, I really don't think it matters too much. Do whatever you're comfortable with, I think a white crewneck under pretty much any color v-neck looks pretty good.

2. DocHunter

DocHunter Well-Known Member

I'm about to pick up a pair of Red Wing 875s. I'm a 9.5 in New Balances and a 9 in Chucks. What size would I be in Red Wings?

3. acw816

acw816 Well-Known Member

anyone know of a good tailor in chicago? maybe closer up north near wilmette or evanston

4. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Well-Known Member

What's the advantage of 501 STF vs. pre-shrunk 501s?

Is it just that the STF get a little better molded to the wearer's body during shrinking?

Do the STFs fade better? hold their color better? anything I'm missing?

Are they made of different denim aside from the sanforizing?

thanks

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

I'm about to pick up a pair of Red Wing 875s. I'm a 9.5 in New Balances and a 9 in Chucks. What size would I be in Red Wings?

9. Also, be aware that RW comes in different widths, which greatly effects how they fit.

6. DocHunter

DocHunter Well-Known Member

9. Also, be aware that RW comes in different widths, which greatly effects how they fit.

Is the sizing the same for the Gentleman Traveler? Size down a half size from your regular size?

7. welchey3

welchey3 Active Member

8. a salaam alaikum

a salaam alaikum Well-Known Member

so i have a question about tapering a pair of jeans.
    i have a pair of naked and famous slim guys that i ride my bike in and i want to get them tapered so the leg fits like my wierd guy n&f's so i dont have to roll them up when riding.

do tailors do this from the inseam or outseam? or a little of both.
    i have seen a pair of imperials that were tapered from the outseam and the selvage line was preserved but it was extremely wide (looked like about 3 times wider than normal.
    also i have read that doing it from the inseam will twist the jeans awkwardly.

any suggestions on which way is best and what i should ask the talior to do for me?

any help is appreciated.

9. welchey3

welchey3 Active Member

i had my boot cuts tapered at barneys and it looks good now. Its not twisted now or anything but they were not selvedge so Im not sure if they could do the same to yours.

10. Francis91

Francis91 Well-Known Member

anyone know of a good tailor in chicago? maybe closer up north near wilmette or evanston

Sorry the only recommendation I have is a tailor located downtown. The place is called Tailors Touch and it's in the gold coast on Oak St. between Michigan ave and Rush

11. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

quoddy boat shoes or ll bean blucher mocs (this will be for summer wear w/ shorts)

12. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

quoddy boat shoes or ll bean blucher mocs (this will be for summer wear w/ shorts)

Don't you have both?

Wear whichever you think look better with other articles and/or your mood prefers. It's just clothes, not rocket science. [​IMG]

13. fashunhor

fashunhor Well-Known Member

Red Wings are oversized by 1. I am a size 10.5 in Vans and New Balance. I bought my Red Wings in 9.5 and they fit perfectly!!!

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Don't you have both?

Wear whichever you think look better with other articles and/or your mood prefers. It's just clothes, not rocket science. [​IMG]

I have neither. I did just leather condition my Quoddy bluchers.. and... I think.. I just fell in love again. [​IMG]

15. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Well-Known Member

This is kind of an odd question but I was wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about how designers usually approach sizing. For example, do they usually have a specific Small, Medium, and Large model in mind and size the pieces in proportion to these models or are pieces usually sized relative to each other?

16. anonymouz

anonymouz Well-Known Member

What's the advantage of 501 STF vs. pre-shrunk 501s?

Is it just that the STF get a little better molded to the wearer's body during shrinking?

Do the STFs fade better? hold their color better? anything I'm missing?

Are they made of different denim aside from the sanforizing?

thanks

The STF fade better-they're unwashed (raw) and start with more indigo. The preshrunks are already washed.

17. Chinook

Chinook Well-Known Member

What do you guys put on your leather patches?

18. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

This is kind of an odd question but I was wondering if someone could tell me a little bit about how designers usually approach sizing. For example, do they usually have a specific Small, Medium, and Large model in mind and size the pieces in proportion to these models or are pieces usually sized relative to each other?
    Im not in the buisness, but I know there exists standard measurments for sizes,( say a Eu size 50 should be have a so and so chest, waist etc), and I expect guidlines exist for all sizes. Otherwise I guess they size from the basis of these ideal measurments. The "dolls" used for fashion fitting also are specific sizes. I know the women "dolls" are EU 36, that is a small, which also explains why runway models are so thin...

19. Z!NG

Z!NG Well-Known Member

I need a new phone. I want a smart phone. I want iphone. Should I get or should I wait for 3rd gen since its kinda late?

20. rapdancin

rapdancin Well-Known Member

I need a new phone. I want a smart phone. I want iphone. Should I get or should I wait for 3rd gen since its kinda late?
    iphones are decent but way overhyped imo. if you want a smartphone that'll be useful look into a blackberry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.