1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Empire, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onion

onion Well-Known Member

How do Sugarcane shirts run? (L/S BD) I'm normally a medium in everything and about a size 40, but I saw one site said the medium in SC only fits up to about a 39. I'm just wondering if it'll fit right or if I need to large (up to 41"). SC shirt sizing isn't Japanese is it?

2. jufros

jufros Well-Known Member

how do moma shoes run?

3. stuartSan

stuartSan Well-Known Member

Have been rotating these for quite a while and can't seem to find my jive. I wanna break one in, so which pair suits my body type the best?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. stuartSan

Sorry imageshack is slow and there's 3 jeans total, consecutively. Front, side, back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Enigma89

Enigma89 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I have a pair of 29 x 32 Slim Jim in Dry Black (2% elastic, 98% Cotton) and want a pair of Blue Jeans. I am looking to get a pair of Thin Finn but here is the problem. I do NOT want a slimmer look. Here is a picture of me with my slim jims:

It is a good fit and it looks good, something a little bit looser would be nice, but anything tigher I do not want. Should I get 29 x 32 thin Finn if it is dry comfort (meaning it has 2% elastic) or should I get a 30 x 32?

Also is the Thin Finn the wrong cut for me? I usually wear collared shirts and all to that sort. I have been wanting to get a pair of Average Joes but I cannot find them anywhere in my size at a decent prize but I can get thin finns easily.

Let me know!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

7. Adam24

Adam24 Well-Known Member

Check out the brand yoko devereaux.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

8. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

pretty broad question, thought id throw it in here before I made a thread about it...
    Ask again when you get closer to your trip in Jan. Most boutiques tend to have good sales around Jan after the x-mas push (south willard in LA is one such place). You can search here for shops in NY and I'm sure there will be much more talk of sales then.

After-summer sales usually happen around... September/October.

My questions are 1. How should I get these repaired(If I should even bother)?Take them to a local tailor? Send them off somewhere that specializes in denim? Do I need to find matching denim first or can they do it without visible patching?

Second question: I haven't washed them yet, if I wash them now will the shrinking make the damage worse or is it safe?

Pics would really help (and would be GREAT in the Somet thread) us figure out just how much damage was done to your jeans. Local tailor will probably be your best, if not only, bet. Denim Doctors at HTC in LA would be able to fix whatever you've got going on but it probably won't be as cheap as your neighborhood tailor.

In terms of the wash, I can't imagine a simple soak hurting your jeans. In fact, it might be a better idea to do the soak before sending in your jeans.

Have been rotating these for quite a while and can't seem to find my jive. I wanna break one in, so which pair suits my body type the best?
    The second pair (pic 5) is more SF-approved but the first pair looks better for day-to-day (in fact, the cut reminds me of SSDS). What are they?
    Also is the Thin Finn the wrong cut for me? I usually wear collared shirts and all to that sort. I have been wanting to get a pair of Average Joes but I cannot find them anywhere in my size at a decent prize but I can get thin finns easily.
    Yes, the TF's are the wrong cut. Sizing one up isn't not going to do anything major to fight the skinny calves of the cut. TF's are FAR slimmer than SJ's.

If AJ's are what you want, why not wait for them to be restocked? Get a hold of DenimBar and see if they're planning a restock. Get a hold of SelfEdge and ask the same. If all else fails, try a non-forum affiliate such as Cultizm: http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....AGE-JEANS.html

Obviously pricier but if you just can't wait...

9. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

^^^ So many questions. [​IMG]

pretty broad question, thought id throw it in here before I made a thread about it...

At the end of the year i'm going to america for a few weeks; las vegas, los angeles, boston and new jersey with maybe a day trip into new york.

Obviously I'll be doing a great deal of shopping on the trip. What I want to know is, in these cities/areas, what kind of stores usually have massive/some sort of sales? I'll be heading down in January, and want to pick up some awesome stuff I can try on and hopefully for cheap. Brandwise I'm not looking for anything in paticular I guess, but a general list of forum-approved brands sort of covers my taste... from band of outsiders to ndc shoes to paul smith to APC... anything really.

So what sort of places are there for outlet shopping in the above cities, or atleast places that would be expecting sales at this time (would there be a solid amount of end of clearance sales in January? End of summer sale or something?)

Thanks for any help

Use "search the site using Google" feature. Keywords: New York shopping, in some combinations.

when ordering tretorn shoes from say zappos... do you go with euro or american sizing...
    Tretorn run true to (sneakers') size, as opposed to Chucks. So, American, I guess. [​IMG]

I just came back from a trip to South Africa in which I wore my Somets the entire time, and they received some pretty heavy wear, meaning they are filthy and have two tears now, both near the bottom of the right leg. One of them is a little rip in the fabric near the inside seam, which I feel like I need to get patched or something. The other problem is that the seam of the selvedge line has split below the hem; I guess that should be repaired too.

My questions are 1. How should I get these repaired(If I should even bother)?Take them to a local tailor? Send them off somewhere that specializes in denim? Do I need to find matching denim first or can they do it without visible patching?

Second question: I haven't washed them yet, if I wash them now will the shrinking make the damage worse or is it safe?

Edit: Oops, I meant to do it in the jeans question thread. Oh well.

1. Go local if you know, either through own experience or friends', shops that do a good job. Otherwise, there are places that specialize in denim repair. Search for "denim doctor"
    2. Wash them. I'm sure you wouldn't want to hand dirty jeans over to a tailor anyway. [​IMG]

how do moma shoes run?
    Big. IIRC, M J Krell has a pair, try PMing him.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...cy+Couture&d=b

I'm looking for a similar jacket but WITHOUT the embroidery on the back. Any ideas?

Check out the brand yoko devereaux.

Take a look at Wings & Horns as well.

10. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

11. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Yeah, I broke a sweat.

Where's the paycheck?

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some cheap striped socks, does anyone know a good place?

13. Adam24

Adam24 Well-Known Member

H&M.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Shirt/Polo fit question...

[​IMG]
    vintage Lacoste polo
    Paul Frank pants
    NDC shoes

(sorry, hope he doesn't mind me using the pic)

I think the fit is off on the shirt, but I find the same thing happens with a lot of my shirts... Anyone know what causes shirts to drape like that? (ie what do I look for so I can avoid it happening in future?)
    Is it me (posture, belly, arched shoulders) or the shirt?

15. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Do you mean the teepee-shaped drape pattern near the chest? I'd say it's the result of a looser fit, namely around the upper torso. If you asked Spertia to raise his arms like the Rio de Janeiro Jesus statue, you would see much more fabric at either side than what is shown here. The rest of it would creep toward the backside and tent outward when he places his hands down. No guarantees for how he'll respond if you give him such a request, though.

16. stuartSan

The second pair (pic 5) is more SF-approved but the first pair looks better for day-to-day (in fact, the cut reminds me of SSDS). What are they?

They're Malaysian Levi's 522. Not as good as LVC there but definetely better than the average U.S. Levi's from what I hear.

17. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

i think banana republic usually has a buy 4 pair for 25 bucks thing going on.

18. davo10375

davo10375 Well-Known Member

More versatile:
    - All black leather chucks
    - Normal black/white colour way chucks

And low-top vs hi-top? What would say the advantages and disadvantages are? Main thing I'd wear with them are nudie grim tims...

Also what are you opinions on desert boots? Versatile or only useful for a select few outfits

19. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

More versatile:
    - All black leather chucks
    - Normal black/white colour way chucks

The normal black/white colorway would be far more understated, especially when you consider the dirtying of the white that will take place as your wear them. Leather has a sheen, which makes it more difficult to blend in with a larger variety of outfits.

And low-top vs hi-top? What would say the advantages and disadvantages are? Main thing I'd wear with them are nudie grim tims...

Hi-tops can be filled with water, which keeps the ankles cool. I do this during the summer, especially when it gets hot in the office-- a quick stroll to the water cooler does the trick. Just make sure you pour the water when you're at your desk, so that the coworkers don't notice. I tried doing the same thing with the lo-tops, but I made a big mess on the floor and became the office laughing stock in minutes.

Other than that, it's a matter of style. High tops will look, well, taller-- especially when a tapered pant like the grim tim breaks over them. I say go with it. They look nice.

Also what are you opinions on desert boots? Versatile or only useful for a select few outfits
    They're rather versatile. There are pics floating around the WAYWT thread that feature Clarks worn with both tees and button-ups.

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i have a few tshirts that i still like and wear but they are a bit billowy around the torso /waist area. i dont want to size down in size as it will narrow the shoulder.

would it be wise to go to the tailor and have darts put in to a tshirt? has anyone done this? to narrow out the torso and make the tshirts more slim fitting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.