1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Congratulations NS! Looked like it was an amazing day!

2. bsarosi

bsarosi Well-Known Member

So I have some time till the big day (8/9/15) but I think I should start figuring out my outfit and groomsmen outfits. I'm set on 2-button navy suit with white FC shirts and I intend to order each groomsmen a Sam Hober wedding tie (probably mix and match rather than all the same).

My dilemma is choosing what suit for the groomsmen. They're spread out from east coast to Midwest and I don't think a meet-up is doable. Therefore, do I choose an online MTM option and with enough advanced warning so that they'll be able to get the suit altered to fit right? Or do I go with an inexpensive suit from Macys and have each groomsman alter it to his own delight. Money is somewhat of an issue as I don't want to have them spend more than $400-500.

What are SF thoughts?

Also - would it look odd if the groomsmen had navy 2-button single breasted suits but I wore a midnight blue 2-button single breasted peak lapel suit?

Many thanks!

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. bsarosi

That was my first instinct until the bride and her mother questioned how coordinated that will be. I'm trying to walk a fine line between coordinated but not overly matchy.

Also, you'd be surprised how many of the groomsmen don't own a basic navy suit so I feel like I'm doing them a service by requiring a solid navy suit. For that reason, I want them to get as a good of a suit as possible but stay within a reasonable budget for them.

5. unbelragazzo

IMHO dark suit, white shirt, wedding tie is already plenty coordinated. But if the bride and MIL insist, and it's not that important to you, here's a list of places to get a sub-$500 suit:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/358548/the-500-suit-thread

As far as online MTM at this price range, I would counsel against. It's not an idiot-proof way of getting suits by any means. If your groomsmen don't care or know that much about suit-buying, then there's a decent probability of at least one disaster among them.

6. bsarosi

Thanks unbelragazzo. And I'm in agreement with you on MTM - several of the groomsmen just aren't up to speed on CM. And although I intend to give them plenty of time to order, something is bound to come up.

SuitSupply has gotten pretty good reviews on here, so I'm leaning that way with the OTR route.

7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Say solid navy suits. The can wear one they have, or spend as they are able/willing. If you express a preference for two button notch, you'll probably get just that, and if not, Meh. The thing I would change, if I had it to do over, is that I would be more considerate of all of the other people involved. My point being, be as accommodating as possible, within reason.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  8. bsarosi

That's what I said initially but several don't even have a solid navy suit. They asked for advice on buying one, which was considerate of them. At first I was going to tell them to buy whatever they preferred but then fiancée and MIL chimed in on how the suits should be coordinated. Hence why I'm here looking for advice.

Unbel had some sound advice about MTM, which I agree with. So for the guys that don't have one, my advice would be to get something a step or two up from Macys or JAB, which they said they're fine with. And the other groomsmen seem to be ok getting a new one to coordinate.

I'm trying to be as considerate as possible while appeasing fiancée and future MIL. Appreciate all the feedback.

9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I would look for some "inspiration pictures" of coordinated, but non matched suits. My groomsmen all wrote grey they bought themselves; you might yet persuade your fiancee and mil that mismatched is ok. It's better, in fact, in my opinion.

But yes I understand the attempt to balance everyone's wants. If you have a solution everyone's happy with, you may want to quit while you're ahead; might be wise, in fact.

10. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Mismatched is better because you want everyone to go get something they can be happy about and not "that blue groomsman outfit I got for a wedding five years ago and sits in the back of the closet with the other five groomsmen outfits". It isn't fair to those who already own navy suits to have to go out and buy another, and applying the same cut is not going to flatter everyone's different body types equally.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Oh boy.....:brick:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Well-Known Member

yeah about the time my mother in law would have gotten involved i would have told her to go jump in a lake.

thanks for the kind words on the last couple of pages, guys.

13. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

When it comes to planning your own wedding, I heard some fantastic advice a while back: go with the flow... but choose one (1) thing and put your foot firmly down on it.

You might consider "compassion for your best male friends" that one thing. :nodding:

14. ter1413

I always wonder how much say the pending grooms are "allowed" to have in the dress/accessories of the pending finance. I bet the many grooms who come saying that "my fiancé, MIL said this" probably have none.

15. unbelragazzo

Looks like we're at stage 4 of this round right now...I wonder which way the ending will go this time.

1 person likes this.
  16. ter1413

:bounce2:

17. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

^^ I used to answer wedding attire questions a while back. I stopped. I noticed that most future grooms almost always knew what would be the right attire (there's a thing called Google after all), but the future bride was bullying him into wearing something hideous, and at the end always seemed to end up wearing what the bride wanted, no matter the advice. Can't hardly blame them. We should start posting in women's "fashion" forums and wedding forums instead, I think that's the only way we'll see a real change. :)

Then we'll only have post in here like "So, my future bride asked me not to rent a white tux to match her dad. She said the invitation clearly states Informal Attire and her dad would look like a fool. So she proposed I'd wear my navy DB suit, with a silver tie, white shirt and black oxfords. I asked her if she wanted me to coordinate my attire with the groomsmen but she said, nah f''k those guys, you look your best honey, that's all I'm interested in, it's you I'm marrying. So waddaya guys think, is she right?" And me and @unbelragazzo and everyone else with a high opinion of ourselves :happy: can tell them how great that is and what a lovely wedding they'll have instead of the grooms scurrying outa here, tail between their legs, confused, hurt and bitter.

:nest:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  18. bsarosi

Sounds like you guys have been down this path many times before!

I wouldn't say my fiancée and MIL are being difficult or dictating what we should wear. In fact, I've decided to just have the groomsmen wear whatever navy suit they'd like and my fiancée/MIL have no issue with that. It only came up because they inquired if I was going to do a coordinated suit look given how much I care about quality of my clothes. Hence why I came to the forum for advice/feedback. As Unbel mentioned, the white shirt with various wedding ties will do the trick.

Next step is picking out the Sam Hober ties for the groomsmen!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Congrats on the wedding and the choice to get ties from Hober is a great one.

We do get some people coming on here hoping we'll just tell them that they'll look good in whatever hideous "tuxedo" with vests and ties that match the bridesmaids and that get upset when that doesn't happen. From what you've posted (even before this), it seems like that's less of an issue than we often see (though the appeasing comment probably sparked something here). Typically a groom gets 4 options:

1) Wear what the bride wants and abandon your sartorial sensibilities for one day for her sake.

2) Successfully explain to the bride why another alternative is more elegant (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

3) Put your foot down and wear what you want. Say this is the one thing that matters to you and everything else is up to her.

4) Put your foot down in some other way. Bride is pissed.

While I don't think everyone wearing the same suit color is essential, I do think that navy suits are often a better choice for weddings, so there's that. The different ties will add some differentiation to your wedding party, so you'll have a very elegantly dressed set of groomsmen. Either way, I'm sure you will all look great and enjoy a lovely event that is about way more important things than clothes.

20. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Reposting in this thread after learning of its existence :)

I am getting married in just a few weeks. I've been trying to put together my outfit for some time but am still a bit unsure, and unfortunately I don't have any friends/family that know anything about menswear. So, I'd welcome any advice and help.

Basically, I'm going for an understated and traditional outfit. My bride will be wearing a fairly traditional white wedding dress.

Here's what I have so far:

Grey peak lapel suit by Southwick. There is also a matching single-breasted waistcoat (not shown in photo) which I have not purchased yet. Should I? Also, I understand that I should not wear a belt if I wear the waistcoat, but must I wear suspenders if the trousers fit properly?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Suit has a birdseye weave (zoom in if you'd like). Are fabrics with a noticeable weave (like birdseye) considered less formal and thus unsuitable for a wedding suit?

[​IMG]

Shoes are Allen Edmonds 'Harrison':

[​IMG]

Shirt is currently being made in twill with MOP buttons by Ratio Clothing and has a "Londoner" cutaway collar with French cuffs. I am also buying a similar shirt from Suit Supply as a backup (no French cuffs on this one though):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Accessories will be limited to white silk knot cufflinks and possibly a silver tie clip. Bride's accessories will be silver and pearl.

Personally I think the above is pretty safe, but: although I wear suits regularly, I've never dressed this formal before and may be missing something that the old pros here can help me with.

Importantly, I haven't selected a tie yet and am having trouble picking one out. So far I've been looking for something very close to 3" wide, mostly silk, and with a silver and/or blue colorway. I'm also open to a bow tie. I found the following ties that I like from Brook's Brothers' 'Black Fleece' line, but unfortunately they are 2.25" wide, so far too skinny I think:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also found these bowties from Brooks Brothers:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've never worn a bowtie before. Would it look bad with a cutaway collar? More importantly, are they even considered proper wedding attire (when not wearing a tux)? I've noticed plenty of wedding photos where the guys are wearing bowties with horrible outfits so it makes me wonder.

Here's a quick mockup I did with the bowtie I like best:

[​IMG]

Any suggestions for ties? Material, pattern, colors, width, etc?

I'd very much appreciate any help and advice. Thanks for reading.