1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

Nice choice on the dress. A suit would probably be much better in combination with that dress than a tuxedo, but if you choose the tuxedo option:

- Shoes must be minimalistic black patent leather black mirror shined calfskin, no broguing allowed. You could, however, easily get away with Chelsea boots if they're black and shiny. Chelsea boots are cool.
    - Has to be black, but you could go for a diamond-tip bowtie for a more individualistic look. It's normally a bit too late in the season to be able to get away with a dark red bowtie, but you could also explore that option.
    - Waist covering is necessary to cover the white triangle of yuck that is the shirt showing beneath the buttons. For non-traditional waist coverings you could go for a patterned black silk waistcoat or white cotton waistcoat as long as they're cut low.
    - Socks need to be black, but there's no problem with cool patterns as long as it's a minimalistic pattern (clocked socks) and black is the majority of the colour. If you're wearing Chelsea boots, go nuts because your socks will be covered anyway.

2. RY4N

RY4N Well-Known Member

Perhaps too much for the bride? that would explain why she is so far from the groom. Personally, I think the fact that the suit and tie in the picture are both bright is what ruins the look. My sister ended up going with a purple shepherd's check, which I think is fine and everyone likes.

Is he planning to rent or to buy?

-The shoes should be black and shiny. There are modern variations and classic ones too.
    - Black with a white pattern like a pindot is acceptable
    - He will look better with a cummerbund or a vest. Have him try one on. The cummerbund does not have to be black. A cummerbund just covers the waist, so he should wear suspenders regardless
    - IMHO you can get away with black socks with a conservative pattern, after all they are mostly covered.

I would check out blacktieguide.com It shows various variations, traditional and contemporary, and you can choose which you like best.

3. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

Arauerbach - What about something like The Foxx showed in this post http://www.styleforum.net/t/275650/the-state-of-black-tie-your-observations/2900_50#post_7208923 I think it would go well with your dress.

You have posted in a forum where many of the members have a very fixed idea about black tie but there are also some of us who have more flexible views. Another alternative for him could be a velvet jacket.

I would go for stylish look for him after all your dress is very cool so I would stick to black shoes perhaps a Gucci type loafer rather than some heavy shoe. How about J Fitzpatrick's Laurelhurst shoe in black or dark blue?

If he doesn't want to wear a cummerbund I fully understand, they are an archaic hangover from the raj, If he normally wears suspenders then by all means wear them.

Socks that tone with the trousers he intends to wear are normally advised and I would only suggest the most minimal pattern if any.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  4. benjaminroy

benjaminroy Well-Known Member

Thoughts on shirt/tie/shoes to pair with this suit? The wedding is in about a month, indoor/outdoor, and I'm a guest. It's a pretty eclectic group of people (one friend who will be there once had a suit made to look like Mao Zedong).

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-blue-check/P3832I.html

I don't have any pictures of me wearing it, but the fit is great. I'm not looking to do anything too crazy here, though. I have AE Strands in Walnut, but my feeling is that might be a bit much. I also have AE McAllister in Merlot, but I'm not sure if the full brogue is the way to go either. If I had a nice chocolate or snuff suede that might be perfect.

For shirt/tie I was leaning toward a white T&A shirt with a checked tie, either in gray or maybe with a hint of color (red?) and a white linen pocket square.

Thanks!

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I think white's going to look best. Ecru would be good too, and a little less "bam."

6. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

REALLY like the dress. Agree with previous posts...a tux seems too formal for me.

7. facet

facet Well-Known Member

I would personally wear the McAllister over the Strand; but if you're a guest for a summer wedding that may be more casual in nature, it's not going to be a big deal either way, based on what I saw at my own wedding. Same thing for the tie: while grey would be my first choice, a nice burgundy tie, I think, would look nice with that suit.

8. benjaminroy

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

10. benjaminroy

I do really like the 2nd one.

I should maybe also say that everyone who will be at this wedding is an artist of some sort, so there's not really much conservatism to go around.

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Another vote for the second one.

12. RY4N

RY4N Well-Known Member

If you want to be artistic, pick the tie you like best. Then you will be genuinely expressing yourself.

13. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share a couple pics from my wedding:

[​IMG]

All in all, I was pretty happy with how everything turned out. The only quibble that I had was I didn't realize how light my suit looked in sunlight. When you see it indoors, it just looks like a navy suit (albeit a lighter navy); but in sunlight, the blue really comes out. There were some rules that I broke (like wearing black monk straps for my shoes, my groomsmens' PS's and socks) but I felt they were minor in the grand scheme of things and, therefore, was ok with them.

[​IMG]

Just for future reference for anybody wondering what a non-matching wedding party could look like. For my groomsmen, I bought them ties from Sam Hober (one silver/grey grenadine and the other a black and white shepherd's check), and silk PS from Kent Wang (they look plain white from far but had this imprinted pattern that you could see if you came up close), and coloured socks (my compromise with my wife who wanted some colour in their outfits), and then they were responsible for their own suits.

So, thanks everyone for all the help and feedback in this thread with my questions; it was most appreciated and helpful during the planning and process.

2 people like this.
  14. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

Looks good. Congrats

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^^ Nice pictures. Glad it went well and thanks for sharing.

16. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Well done, facet, and hope this is the beginning of a long and happy marriage.

17. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Your suit looks great. Having a nice blue in sunlight, but appearing very dark navy when indoors is the perfect combination. And I love the vest as well. Great outfit. Now, about your corsage...

18. Star

Star Well-Known Member

Planning to get married in February in an Australia Summer, Short of going through 1000+ replies, looking for guidance what is an appropriate suit and colour for what could be a hot summers day?

19. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

Depends on what the dress code is really. What have you stated on the invitations? A cream linen suit will look nice for a casual dress wedding, I'm guessing that it is? For a wedding with with an Informal Attire dress code, I'd go for a navy linen or fresco suit. Loafers would be nice with that even though Oxfords would normally be considered most "correct". What's most important is that you feel comfortable in what your wearing though, so maybe you should read up on dress codes (several articles in Wikipedia rmetc.) and then combine that with your own style.

20. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

If I were the groom, I'd tried to be more formally dressed than everyone else. So if you expect all the male guests to wear suits, I would at a minimum wear a formal suit (either gray, charcoal, or dark navy).