1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Black shoes are generally regarded as more formal and conservative and for certain things in life (weddings, interviews, business attire galas) are the better choice. I also prefer black shoes when I am wearing a blazer and greys or suit and tie in the evening. I'd try to think of the AE Park Avenue as a special occasion shoe rather than an interview shoe. They work well for interviews too but are also fine for weddings and the like.

2. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

My wedding is outdoors in a garden in two month's time. The bridesmaids will be wearing lightweight spring/summer navy dresses. This leads me to three questions.
    1) With the bridesmaids wearing navy dresses, this forces me to opt for my mid grey over a navy suit, no?
    2) Assuming I proceed with mid grey suit, the groomsmen will wear their own personal grey suits. Would charcoal be out of place? I would think not but seeking opinions.
    3) Would opting for the standard black/grey/white ties in houndstooth, shepard's check, or PoW be too monochrome? My initial reaction is to pair grey suits with navy but that would come off as matchy matchy to the bridesmaid dresses.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

1) I don't think it forces you, but it sounds like you don't like the idea, so go with your mid grey, or a new grey suit, if you're so inclined.
    2) I think multiple shades of grey is fine. I actually wish I'd given my guys more freedom on their shades of grey, since they are the ones that now own the suits.
    3) My groomsmen wore grey ties with grey suits, white shirts, white PS, black shoes. I think it looked great. I think you're right that navy ties risk being matchy. However, with mismatched, various, navy ties, and a classic combination like grey suit/navy tie, it's not going to come across as a prom look. But, again, seems you don't like the idea of navy ties, so don't do it. Lots of things go with grey suits. Sage green ties could look great with mid-grey, for example. Grey ties are also going to look good, too.

4. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Yea, I just can't sell my fiancee on the morning dress thing. That's good to know about vintage tuxes. Any tips about where to find 'em? I have some sense on suit brands, but tuxes seem often to be made by different people (so when I've previously looked for tuxes on ebay I've felt pretty lost). I may look to do a costume change, as hilarious as that may be. Suit supply starts at about $450 and mostly spans the $500-1,000 range. You generally get half or full-canvassing and working buttonholes for that price ... and the fabrics generally seem nice. Re lapel flowers, I'm currently leaning towards lily of the valley or maybe white statice. Thoughts about how that'll look with a light grey / midnight blue suit (and my fiancee's light pink peony bouquet)? Finally, am I going to be able to dress a light grey suit up to a formal enough level without a vest? What about if it's a notch-lapel light grey suit?

5. ImTheGroom

If you know your materials, and can tell the difference between full canvassed, half canvassed, and fused, don't worry about brands, and just try to get something that seems to be good quality to you. That's how I approach vintage shopping, generally. Consignment stores, thrift stores (they have more good stuff than you think!), and eBay are the best suggestions I have. As for local stores, you're probably best to search the boards for info for your city, and post up a new thread if there isn't one. You could also try asking on the vintage, and thrift threads.

I think light grey with peaks is contrived; I would go notches. I think it needs to be a three piece, honestly, if you're going to do a light suit.

6. archibaldleach

A light grey suit isn't really formal, but if we're talking about an outdoor wedding during the summer, expectations for formality are going to be lower generally and your guests are going to probably dress in a way that is cognizant of the heat. If you truly want to be formal, don't wear light grey. Considering the context, however, I think you're fine.

Re: SuitSupply, beware the working buttonholes. It is great that they have them if you do not need to shorten the sleeves too much, but there's a reason why a lot of places get the sleeve length right and they sew on buttonholes.

I think the flower options should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of these boots here for the groom? Too dandyish maybe? I thought these would look pretty cool with a nice midnight blue or grey 3 piece

[​IMG]

8. ImTheGroom

With morning dress, yes. Otherwise, too much.

9. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

Fucken awesome though eh! :)

2 people like this.
  10. ovlov

ovlov Well-Known Member

I though these were considered the 'proper' wedding footwear? Regardless of what suit you wear the upper part if the boot isn't going to show anyhow. So ld say if you love them that much go for it

1 person likes this.
  11. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Ok, update:

I spent last night at Suit Supply and really love their stuff. The Napoli ($469 -- half canvassed, fully lined all-season wool) and La Spalla ($999 -- fully canvased, lined all-season wool, but super 150s so lighter) are probably my favorites. Problem is, they don't have anything in summer weight wool. I also tried on J Crew's traveler suit ($750) and liked it a lot but it seems like I'd be getting less suit for my money.

I also asked about custom suiting options with SS -- and was told that the cheapest I could do a summer weight wool suit was about $1100.

So I'm feeling a little stuck. The linen blend stuff is definitely too casual looking to look good w/ my fiancee's dress. But $1,100 is already $100 over budget for me, and that doesn't factor in tie, shirt, or belt (all of which I'll need -- I think I'm sticking with the shoes I have).

Two questions:

1. Any tips about where else (besides SS and JCrew) I could look for a nice suit with summer weight wool for my wedding?

2. If I am going to shell out $1,100 for a MTM Suit Supply suit, are there other people I should be looking at for that price point? Thick as Thieves? Kent Wang? Someone else? Honestly, SS's OTR stuff looked pretty good on me and would only need minor alterations. I know it sounds silly to pay so much just to get a cooler-temp suit, but the temperature thing is really, really important to me -- more than anything else, the last thing I want is to be miserable while I'm getting married and I know that a hot suit will make me miserable.

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

How much time have you spent in hot weather in suits? There is no suit that is going to make you not feel hot. A couple of ounces difference in the fabric weight is not going to matter much. What will help more, at least in my experience, is the construction of the jacket and the fit (get a looser fit, this will allow you to get more ventilation. If you're expecting a summer weight suit to keep you from feeling the heat on a hot day then you're going to be disappointed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  13. abl

abl Well-Known Member

I've spent a medium amount of time (mostly at other people's weddings). I think my hope is that a cooler suit might make the difference on the margins -- so instead of being miserable when it hits 70 degrees in the sun, I'll be miserable when it hits 75 degrees in the sun. Maybe it's foolish, but if I can get roughly 5 degrees of comfort out of the suit, it's probably worth a couple hundred dollars for me. If I can get 10 degrees of comfort, it's definitely worth it. I think somewhere between 70-80 is the magic number for me between comfortable and uncomfortable -- and that's the exact temperature range I think is mostly likely on wedding day. So those couple degrees on the margins actually could be pretty significant.

But that's good to know about construction. So what should I prioritize? Construction first (I'm assuming that fully canvassed is the way to go? Half lined if I can find it?)? Followed by suit color (light grey vs. midnight blue)? Followed by wool weight? Are these all pretty important? Or will the difference between a half-lined fully canvassed grey suit in all seasons wool and that same suit w/ summer wool be barely noticeable?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I haven't performed scientific tests or anything, so this is just guessing based on my own personal memory and experience:

For me color doesn't matter much. Open weave of the fabric matters the most. Then weight and amount of canvas/horsehair etc. Then fit. Then lining.

15. ImTheGroom

Yep. I was looking for some for my wedding but couldn't find any remotely affordable that weren't completely costumey. Found a pair of black Balmoral boots for a price I could consider, but really close to the day, so I was pretty much tapped out, and I had perfectly good cap toe Oxford shoes.

Not anywhere I've ever seen, heard, or read. But, I agree, if you really can't beat not to wear them, do it. And, as I tell everyone, wear a morning coat because they are amaze balls. :p

16. lukejackson

lukejackson Well-Known Member

Haven't been to a wedding since I was about 16. I'm a guest. Dress code is "formal". A relatively warm country. Would a double breasted sports coat (air force blue) with, perhaps, mid to light grey trousers be ok? I don't want to wear a suit, but was wondering if a double-breasted sports coat will appear strange at a wedding. I'm struggling as when I wear sportscoats in a casual setting it's often with jeans or in linen/cotton. This is a night time affair so I don't feel that cotton or linen will be appropriate. Most attendees will be dressed fairly casually, despite the prescribed dress code (it's Australia...).

17. ImTheGroom

I would ring the hostess and ask what she reckons the other blokes will be wearing. Formal means different things to different people, so best to check in. It will be appreciated that you cared enough to ask.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kip36

Kip36 New Member

thanks. i have seen this. some of if its a bit too traditional for me but still a good guide

thanks! great feedback! much appreciated!

19. archibaldleach

This X 1,000. Asking the bride or groom is always a good plan when you are in doubt.

20. oreamnos

oreamnos New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm getting married this summer, and we will be having an outdoor beach/nautical style wedding.

For this, I'm having two bespoke pieces made:

1) wedding suit:

Light/medium 2 button SB grey linen suit, likely with an odd vest. Flap pockets, double vent, surgeon cuffs (4 buttons), probably half lined. Probably do some sort of blue tie/pocket square combo. I'd like to be able to wear this suit again after the wedding, or at least wear the jacket in less formal settings (I.e. with other dress pants, chinos or jeans). I like the idea of peak lapels as it adds some formality to the suit, which is good for the wedding, but I worry peaks will look strange if I just wear the jacket in non full suit form later on - especially if I don't wear it with a tie later on. Thoughts?

2) Navy sport jacket. Mostly just because I want one, but also to wear for a dinner before the wedding day. It's not too dark of a navy, with some grey undertones and the weave shows nicely, so definitely not standard navy blazer fabric. Thinking 2 button SB, flap pockets, surgeon cuffs (4 sleeve buttons), notch lapels for versatility, double vent. Probably ivory buttons or brownish buttons, with white button hole stitching. I've also considered patch pockets instead of flap pockets, but I work in a fairly conservative field, so don't want it to be too casual for future use. Thoughts?

Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks!