• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamie111

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have got to the stage where I’ve overthought and over-attempted all possible options to the point where I now have chronic decision fatigue, and feel like I need a fresh view.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions as to what shirt, bow tie & pocket square you would wear with the below:

I’m wearing this Burberry Suit – it’s a slim fitting 100% wool, grey/white/teal melange (http://www.nextopt.com/item/3331.html#.UiqomzZmgTA). The teal is very faint, and the overall colour impression is grey. Will be wearing it with my Mr Hare patent-capped oxfords (http://www.mrporter.com/product/168211), and will have a billy button boutonniere.

It’s a daytime wedding in Spring, but the event will take me thorugh to the evening reception. The event itself will not be formal. The ceremony is outdoors, at a city rooftop Art-Deco terrace and cigar bar. Think wicker and timber seating, shrubbery, and black/white check tiling. Dress code for guests is Lounge Suit. The Reception is in an inner-city urban warehouse (http://bit.ly/17FGGfF).

Overall it will be a very relaxed and playful event. As such I’m looking to add a bit of outdoor, sporting playfulness to a cocktail look. I like to mix fabrics, so am thinking a linen bow tie, could relax the outfit a little.
Bride is wearing a white / musk embroidered floor length gown (Slight Art Deco style), groomsmen are mixing black wool suits with Gitman vintage linen polka dot ties (http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/192x/c0/52/d7/c052d7eecf5cc368e70258bbcaf4bf61.jpg)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm prepping for my own wedding and I went with the very reasonably priced Tux from Suit Supply.  I would like to wear a white ("backless" vest but have not had any luck finding any besides Brooks Brothers.  Any tips on where I can find one?.  I unfortunately do not have time for a custom design since my wedding is only 2 weeks away. 

While I was at SS, I purchased their Tuxedo Shirt but I'm not 100% intent on keeping it.  Any suggestions on a slim-fit tuxedo shirt with a bib? I personally do not love ribs/ruffles. 

Any info is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Regarding the shirt, Charles Tyrwhitt offers a piqué bib instead of a ruffled one. It is available in their slim-fit line, which should get you close. You may still need to have a tailor take it in a little. Are you going wing or turn-down collar?

Last edited:

candyspan

Reaction score
Thanks becnal & oxygen, a friend of mine told the DJ to call me out to have a dance off against my dad. I couldn't back down!

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kent Wang offers a tuxedo shirt, as well.

vodwat

Reaction score
Regarding the shirt, Charles Tyrwhitt offers a piqué bib instead of a ruffled one. It is available in their slim-fit line, which should get you close. You may still need to have a tailor take it in a little. Are you going wing or turn-down collar?

I will check this out, thank you. One of the benefits to being here in NYC was that I was able to stop by the Kamakura store and I tried on their formal shirt.

Despite my hesitation on pleats, I did like this one. http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_452.html My only complaint is the arm holes were slightly smaller than I needed causing a being of wrinkling around the shoulders that would not be visible with my dinner suit jacket on. Any thoughts on this one?

I did look at Kent Wang but they don't have my size in stock.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First off... Candy, you are looking fresh. That blue looks great! I posted a separate thread before I found this. I figured I might get a better response in the 'wedding thread' since I'm new here. I am getting married Oct. 12th and am looking for a suit. I have decided to buy a decent suit instead of rent because I would rather spend some extra cash and make an investment. Here is what am looking for: Slim fit / 3-piece Medium Grey / 100% wool / notched lapels / side vented / [/URL] I have browsed the forms and done a good bit of research and here is what I have found: 1) Tommy Hilfiger Grey Stripe from Macy's http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...599274&Quantity=1&seqNo=4&EXTRA_PARAMETER=BAG I think it is 'ok' but not exactly what I am looking for. I would prefer a solid or textured fabric as I think the stripes are a bit strong. I have read a few people say that you can't find much better for $300-$400. I have also looked at Indochino and found: 2) Essential Gray Three Piece Suit http://www.indochino.com/product/essential-gray-threepiece-suit I have read that their quality has gone down as prices have risen and it is a little light for a Oct. wedding so I'm not set on it. I looked at Suit Supply but they didn't carry anything that matches what I am looking for. I have been scouring the internet for maybe a Ralph Lauren or Hugo Boss but nothing vested. Ebay hasn't been of much help. I am open to suggestions and feedback as I am still a suit noob but I got a good eye and pay great attention to detail as I am an artist. Thanks a ton!
When my wedding is over and done with next month I will be so glad to stop hearing my fiancée say the term "our colors." I keep saying to her "we are not a sports team, we don't have to follow a uniform." She doesn't listen. I still haven't learned to bite my tongue.....:embar:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When my wedding is over and done with next month I will be so glad to stop hearing my fiancée say the term "our colors." I keep saying to her "we are not a sports team, we don't have to follow a uniform." She doesn't listen. I still haven't learned to bite my tongue.....:embar:

Tell me about it, man. "What do you mean you don't want to wear a purple tie, purple pocket square, purple boutonniere, and purple socks?" Um, I don't want to look like a clown.

The latest battle is that she wants to make boutonnieres out of preserved baby's breath covered in glitter. The glitter gets EVERYWHERE. Looks like Tinkerbell went crazy in my apartment. No glitter on me or my groomsmen, please. I am not biting my tongue on this one.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF.

So glad my wife was so reasonable when I was going through this. Navy suit, white shirt, b/w shepherd check tie, white square, black shoes. As classic as it gets.

She did get mad at me once when we were looking at wedding pictures and I remarked "damn, that suit looks good." Whoops :embar:

The Phog

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have started seriously discussing marriage, and she really likes the sound of not having everyone match. Seems like I got pretty lucky in that regard.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF. So glad my wife was so reasonable when I was going through this. Navy suit, white shirt, b/w shepherd check tie, white square, black shoes. As classic as it gets. She did get mad at me once when we were looking at wedding pictures and I remarked "damn, that suit looks good." Whoops :embar:

:crackup:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads