1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jec1521

jec1521 Member

Hi guys,

So I am getting married in early June. I am looking to buy my own tuxedo, but don't want to spend too much. So Suit Supply and Indochino seem to be the options right now.

Looking for midnight blue tuxedo with black lapel. Not sure on peak lapel or shawl. Seems like everyone with midnight blue tuxedos gets the shawl nowadays, but I am worried that since this will be my only tux in the future (most likely) I will regret not getting a more common peak lapel.

Also, when it comes to waistcoats, are they a no-no for shawl lapels? I am not a huge fan of the cummerbund.
    Another reason that I ask is that it seems like suit supply does not have waistcoats with their tuxes.

I live just outside of NYC so I can go to both locations. Any tips would be awesome.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Midnight blue versus black should not play a role in the peak versus shawl decision. Nothing wrong with a waistcoat no matter what; I think a cummerbund should only be worn with the slightly less formal shawl lapel, but a waistcoat is fine with either.

1 person likes this.
  3. jec1521

jec1521 Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Is a waistcoat mandatory? Just trying to figure out why suit supply doesnt have waistcoats with their tuxes.

4. archibaldleach

You should absolutely have a waist covering (cummerbund or waistcoat). No idea why SuitSupply does not offer them as they do a lot of 3-piece suits (yes, a waistcoat is cut differently, but still).

5. DSauerwald

DSauerwald Active Member

Let me suggest Kent Wang MTM. Cost is only a bit more than SuitSupply and you can pick exactly the fabric you want and all the options you can dream of. Many forum readers are familiar with his work. Turnaround is like 4-6 weeks so you'd want to get on it.

6. jec1521

jec1521 Member

For a midnight blue jacket, is a black waistcoat acceptable?

7. palk

palk Well-Known Member

After reading that thread, I side more with Holdfast: a waistcoat is not an accessory, but rather a part of the suit, hence the expression "three piece suit" whose pieces are: trousers, a jacket, and a waistcoat. "Suit n. - a set of outer clothes made of the same fabric and designed to be worn together."

If you're going to wear an odd waistcoat, you might as well wear an odd jacket too. In fact, that might actually be preferable so that the mismatching waistcoat looks intentional. Otherwise, I'd go with a cummerbund.

8. ErPupone4

ErPupone4 New Member

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct place now.

I am getting married in October and will be wearing a nice navy Samuelsohn suit that I bought last month. The groomsmen are renting navy suits and white shirts since they didn't want to purchase their own (some own a couple suits, while people like my hippie brother doesn't even own a brown dress belt haha). The bridesmaids are wearing earth tone colors (beige, champagne, blush). I was going to have the guys wear a champagne colored tie, with a white linen pocket square with champagne colored edges.

My fiance wants me to wear a white shirt and white tie to match her dress. I have looked at some beautiful Sam Hober ties, and was wondering if the grenadine fina white tie https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/white-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-24.html would look good with a navy suit and white shirt. I really like the texture that the grenadine tie provides. Is this considered too informal for a wedding/groom? If I do go with a white tie, what kind of pocket square should I use? White with more of a pattern? White with a blush edge?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

9. sftiger

sftiger Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you'll get anyone on here to condone wearing a white necktie like that in any situation. Why not go for a more traditional wedding tie that's silver/grey? If you want to stick with the grenadine, here's that same tie but in a more acceptable color.

10. archibaldleach

It wasn't asked about, but it's worth noting that there is a tradition of wearing a white waistcoat with black tie. Obviously, there's less of an issue with the waistcoat potentially clashing with the jacket there, but still worth nothing. I tend to agree, however, that (1) a cummerbund, (2) a waistcoat made in the same manner as the dinner jacket (e.g. same color and lapel treatment), or (3) just wearing black to eliminate the issue altogether is optimal. I added (3), but we seem to agree on (1) and (2). And, yeah, if you have a velvet smoking jacket or something, you have a bit more in the way of options (though I'd just wear a cummerbund with it).

1 person likes this.
  11. jec1521

jec1521 Member

Hey guys,

Another question for you regarding shoes. I just went to Black Lapel in NYC to get measured and have my midnight blue tuxedo on order.

Now regarding shoes, I have always wanted a pair of Allen Edmonds in both brown and black. Right now I really do not have any nice pair of shoes (I have been using brown wingtips from JC Penney that were $50) so I could really use a nice pair. So I went to an Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank near me, and the guy at the store said that you don't need patent leather with a tux, and that he comes on this forum as well. So I tried on both AE Park Aves and Carlyles.

So the question is, am I allowed to get a pair of AE Park Aves or Carlyles and shine them up real nice with my tux? Or am I relegated to buying a pair of Florsheim patent leather shoes for $140 and only ever using them with my tuxedo?

12. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

Calf is fine, but no broguing. Give them a nice shine. Extra points for mirror shine on the cap. And get some black satin laces.

13. archibaldleach

I would go with the Carlyles in black (I do think a plain toe shoe is better than a stitch cap here) and just shine them nicely before your black tie event. Technically, I believe oxfords one wears with black tie should be patent leather, but I personally hate patent leather and am more than happy to break that particular rule. It's never been an issue, and frankly, the footwear that I've seen people wear to black tie events is frequently far worse.

14. ErPupone4

ErPupone4 New Member

I recently found these Cole Haan shoes for an incredible deal so I bought them since I don't own a decent pair of tan/brown shoes.

[​IMG]
    They are listed as a british tan color. I wish they were slightly darker, but am wondering if it is acceptable to wear with the suit I bought for my wedding. It's a Samuelsohn Navy Blue Sharkskin suit.

[​IMG]
    The bride is wearing an ivory dress and it is not very formal (her description). I realize black shoes are normally recommended for formal events, but I'm not concerned with being super formal.

I get my suit back in a week or so and will try them on together then, but am interested to hear people's opinions. Thanks.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I would still go black shoes.

2 people like this.
  16. APT26

APT26 New Member

Hi, all. I'm a first-time poster, so hopefully this is in the correct thread. I'm getting married this December (evening ceremony, church), and am unsure about the proper attire for myself and my groomsmen. We're in the unique position of being classical musicians who all own tails and tux jackets. Is there anything I should be considering when choosing between formal/semi-formal? Would tails necessitate a higher level of formality for the bridesmaids? Should I be the only one in tails? Should we all just wear suits...? Thanks for the help!

17. DSauerwald

DSauerwald Active Member

Also a classical musician, getting married in about a week. I decided not to wear the tails because A) feels like a uniform (because it is) and B) it's a next-to-impossible look for most guest-lists, so your wedding party will look like they're at a different event than the guests. Considering that your guests will probably wear suits (at best), I'd say a tuxedo is the maximum level of formality you'd want to go.

You should choose the dress code that you and your bride feel will strike the right balance between the elegance of the event and the comfort of your guests. Most people don't have the option to wear tails, but very few people should exercise the option. Unless, of course, they're SF members and all their guests are too.

18. APT26

APT26 New Member

Thanks for the help. I hadn't thought of this as an excuse NOT to wear my uniform. Congrats on your own wedding!

19. JDMills

JDMills Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I have a wedding to go to in June. Normally this isn't a problem I have a go to wedding look, navy suit, white shirt, silver wedding tie, black caps. However this one is more rural, and in the summer. The groom and his merry men are wearing "grey" tuxedos, (didn't know that was a thing). As it's more country-esq, and in the day, I was thinking of wearing a tan suit, (Paul Stuart 2 button single vent) blue striped shirt with a white collar, a navy tie with white dots and brown suede half brogues. I think this would work, (mind you all in my head), but do you think it sounds cohesive enough?

Thanks!