1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Still not really crazy about those gifts.
    I like to give gifts that can last forever. Not "consumables." But you know the groom and can gauge what he would like.

2. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the opposite actually. I almost always give gifts which are transient by nature, nothing long lasting. For various reasons, but also so that any gift which isn't well received doesn't then have to be cared for or looked at for years to come. And actually, I don't know either the groom or the bride, so it's not going to be easy to decide on a gift.

3. BPPStyle

BPPStyle New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am getting married next year and have lots of ideas for my wedding suit/attire. I am struggling settling on what i can realistically get away with. Is there a rule about matching the bridesmaid dresses etc?

My fiance is having Lavender as the main flower, with some white roses. Her bridesmaid dresses are grey/very light blue colour. Do i need to strictly match this? We are also having a lot of burlap for decorations etc so could i incorporate a more rustic colour scheme without it completely clashing with the bridesmaid dresses?

All suggestions are welcome, i would love to know everyone's opinions.

Thank you in advance :)

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

There is a rule for matching bridesmaid dresses: don't, unless your bride wants you to and you don't think it is worth a fight. Just focus on looking elegant and it will all fall into place.

Standard wedding attire is navy suit, white shirt, silver / greyish wedding tie. Peak lapels can be a nice touch, as can a vest (either 3 piece suit) or buff linen.

5. ter1413

FTFY.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. archibaldleach

Totally agree in principle. Call it a preemptive concession to what is often an unfortunate reality.

7. ter1413

Some grooms don't realize that a nice navy suit, white shirt, silver tie and black shoes matches EVERYTHING. It is an elegant look and will compliment anything that the wedding party has on.

2 people like this.
  8. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

+1

Like Mom told me one day: keep it simple, stupid

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

The fact that navy pairs well with burlap table runners is a bonus.

10. MrTRC

MrTRC Well-Known Member

Firstly, do as the (i)gents above stated.

Secondly, if possible, avoid burlap/ Hessian etc. I was just at a wedding a week ago and the tables and chairs were adorned with burlap, every man there was covered in strings of the stuff a few mins after sitting. At first, i smugly thought nearly every man there did not brush/clean or polish his suit until i went to the bathroom and saw that i too was covered in it - and it was stuck in my tie too. I had to get my missus to dust off the threads with my spare handkerchief and i proceeded to take off the burlap adornment on my table and chair.

I considered sending an invoice to the couple for cleaning of suit and tie but i considered it in bad taste.

11. BPPStyle

BPPStyle New Member

Thanks for everyone's response. Navy suit with grey/silver waistcoat and tie was my initial thought, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some 'rule'.

12. BPPStyle

BPPStyle New Member

FTFY?? No idea what this means? haha

13. archibaldleach

FTFY = Fixed This for You.

14. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

15. Spencer Schulte

Spencer Schulte Member

Gentlemen, where might I find a double-breasted vest? I am getting married in January and have been searching around online without much success. Any guidance is much appreciated.

16. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Any particular colour or material?

17. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Tyrwhitt has over a dozen RTW DB vests available. I can speak to neither quality nor fit -- but if I needed one and didn't have the ability to visit a tailor who knew what he was doing, that's where I'd start looking.

1 person likes this.
  18. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I have worn my Silver POW tie to too many weddings. I also don't want to buy another silver tie in another pattern (houndstooth, glencheck). Is there an alternate SF-approved alternative, specifically for a navy suit/white shirt?

19. archibaldleach

@Darkside, I don't know about SF approved. I believe patterns are traditional here. Would you consider a black and white shepherd's check as equivalent to silver? Personally, I think a silver grenadine can be very nice. Extremely elegant.

20. rratnip

rratnip New Member

I need some advice about my wedding coming up in November. It'll be an outdoor wedding just before sunset, with the reception indoors at a separate location just afterwards. I've been wanting a midnight blue tuxedo for the past ten years so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to get one.

I wear suits every day for work so I've got a good stable of tailored OTR suits. I'm thinking this is the opportunity to step it up a notch and get something custom or MTM, but this would be my first foray into the area. I was considering some of the semi-online makers Alton Lane, Knot Standard and Suit Supply because they all have locations nearby. But it looks like the only reviews for Alton Lane and Knot Standard were shills. Are there any MTM tailors in Houston anyone would recommend? Or is there an OTR brand I should look into and just have it tailored?

The alternate to the tuxedo is a navy suit. Is there an appropriate colored waistcoat to wear for a late afternoon/early evening wedding? Likewise, with a midnight blue tuxedo what color should the waistcoat be? Should I get a matching one made along with it?