1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

In this case though Miss Sue looks a lot tougher and probably weighs more than Darth Emo.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(Right before she body slammed him).

But Vader was able to win at the end because Leia wouldn't hit him again after she learned he was pregnant.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

4. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

All the girls I grew up with just wanted to play doctor.

1 person likes this.
  5. LordWanker

LordWanker Well-Known Member

Not really a fair comparison as I doubt the number of theaters showing Avatar would be the same as TFA, and also factoring in the differences in ticket prices.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Dude, does the fact that Jason Bourne can take out dozens of trained and prepared agents bother you this much? How about the fact that Batman, a regular dude with cool toys, can fight best dozens of Gotham's best thugs, as a matter of course, while looking for the main baddie? From my experience, these are much more unrealistic than the fact that Rey, a healthy and really mad woman, could overwhelm Ren Kylo, a seriously injured and emotionally fraught man.

Let's go over the things that bother you in TFA.
    1) A girl overpowers a full grown man! That is such bullshit.
    2) A Latino pilot, a black turncoat stormtrooper, an alien and also an Asian X-Wing pilot! Fuck this. There are way to many minorities for this to be a plausible story that happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away.

Is it the implausibility of these things what really bothers you?

2 people like this.
  7. LA Guy

How many times did you undergo a full rectal examination?

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

You forgot Porkins II.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ataturk

I've never actually seen the Bourne movies, other than the first one (which I don't remember), or any of the new Batman movies, pretty much for the reasons you gave.

And, yeah, quota casting is annoying because it's another thing that takes you out of the movie.

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Apparently it took TFA 20 days to do what it took Avatar 330 days to accomplish. So I'd say that by any measure TFA's domestic record is legit.

2 people like this.
  11. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

Wow, you make ataturk sound intolerant. That can't be true, can it?

1 person likes this.
  12. Ataturk

There's one thing you can say about all the PC BS, you can use it to deflect criticism of your shitty movie by slandering your critics.

13. LA Guy

Or, using the term "PC" is an easy way to dismiss any critical self-examination.

Is The Force Awakens an amazing movie for the ages? No, it is a fun movie that is unremarkable except insofar as it rejuvenates an iconic franchise that was seriously mishandled. If the prequels had been amazing, or even good, TFA would probably not be receiving the attention that it has been. It would probably also have been a completely different movie. Is it a shitty movie? I don't think so, but there are certainly issues with it.

Is the fact that Rey overpowers Ren Kylo one of these issues? No.

You have hang ups about women. Let's just get that out in the open.

Incidentally, I've seen this issue come up in some fight gyms. And it's generally NOT the best/toughest guys, nor the best camps, who have issues with women. And btw, if you think that a a woman like Rhonda Rousey or Holly Holm can't hold their own against fully grown men, you'd be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  14. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

The problem with Rey was not that she could beat up [that whiny little bitch] Kylo Ren or even fly the MF (though that was a bit of a stretch). It was that she could do Jedi mind tricks and telekinesis without being taught. Both things that previous movies told us were very hard and required training by a real master and this movie did nothing to explain how she could do them.

15. Graemsay

Graemsay Well-Known Member

16. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

As many as it took to hold the stethoscope.

17. Ataturk

Since you're the expert on insecurities, what do you think about folks who feel the need to interject their experience at "fight gyms" into online discussions? You sure did a good job on that straw man about no woman anywhere ever being able to beat up any man, ever, though. So I guess I'll take that back.

Maybe you should watch the fight from the finale again, though. Rey doesn't overcome by "using the force" or whatever. She just manhandles the guy, who probably nearly doubles her in weight. In the coup de grace, they lock up and she overpowers him and just pushes him down -- like a sumo wrestler would. It looks like something from a cartoon or a cheap action movie. If you're okay with that and the rest of the movie's mediocrity, great. You got the movie you deserve. Plot, suspense, originality? Nah. Forced diversity, false empowerment -- and explosions! A mediocre superhero movie aping Star Wars.

Anyway, set aside the physical absurdity of it, and the bad plotting -- the ending still sucks if for no other reason than it being a terrible setup for the next movie. Good luck convincing anyone to be afraid of Darth Millennial after he's literally been beat up by a little girl.

18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I can't believe y'all are getting your panties all up in a bunch over a disney movie

also can't believe y'all are still talking about a movie you watched two weeks ago

19. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair: we're also talking about a movie that some of us watched almost 40 years ago. So...yeah. :embar:

20. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Well-Known Member

And Rey is not Rhonda Rousey. She's may be decent with a staff, and have the street scrapping skills to keep herself safe from a few scoundrels, but Kylo Ren is supposed to be one of the more feared presences in the galaxy. And, yes, he's twice her size.
    If it were Kylo Ren hand to hand vs a female Universal Fighting Champion (see what I did there), it would be less jarring.