1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Well the original plan was for Poe to die in the crash. JJ has said he liked the character and the actor so much he changed plans. I could see it bothering some people but it's not like we saw the body. At the end of the day the fact that Poe and Finn worked so well in their scenes together that I'm willing to overlook it happening offstage, as you say.

I've got issues with the film. Some I've said before. A few I've yet to get into. That really wasn't one of them.

The larger point we disagree on is things always need to happen onstage. They really don't. In fact this can often drag a film to a snail pace when it does.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. Jr Mouse

Wort part of the prequels. Yoda jumping around in his light saber fights like a Pokemon. I always envisioned him being almost totally defensive. Using the force. To move objects and push enemies away. Jedi or not, him using a light saber in that manner neve sat right with me.

Also Anakin was beyond creepy interacting with Padme.

1 person likes this.
  3. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Clearly Poe is the Han Solo of this trilogy in terms of personality, so it makes some sense that there is an air of mystery about him. And clearly Finn is the guy who is supposed to represent Joe Sixpack, so since Finn left Poe for dead, so did we as an audience.

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Meh... yeah, that's the vibe I got... but the keyword you used is "probably". Think of how cool it would have been if the movie opened with close-ups of Rey working on a ship (slaving away, sweaty, dusty, etc.), zooooom out, and there's the MF: a ship she's become intimately familiar with over the past couple of years. No "probably" required.

I know I'm probably being too hard on this chapter, but I just don't think it holds an objective candle to the original trilogy. They skipped too many potentially poignant scenes in favor of lowest-common-denominator-pleasing action sequences. (And I really, really hated Lost).

I actually think some of this stuff will get fleshed out further in the next episodes. I don't think I've seen anything on this forum yet about why AT-ATs were on Tatooine Jakku. There might be a pretty cool story there that we get to hear. Thoughts..?

...after being trained. Even though Luke's original training lasted only a few on-screen moments in SW, the audience at-least got the jist that training was necessary.

For the record, I liked Rey quite-a-bit. I thought the acting and character were spot-on for the content of the script. Same goes for Kylo Ren. I think there's lots of potential for a very cool and nuanced character there, and Adam Driver did a really good job.

5. Graemsay

Graemsay Well-Known Member

I disagree, Rey working on the Falcon in the opening shot would be a bit too on the nose.
    Besides, the "garbage ship" sequence is my favourite scene in the movie, and you'd lose that.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Suntory

Suntory Well-Known Member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    The fk are you on about? It's the best scene in Star Wars:

"Tatooine's sand is so rough and you're so smooth."

I use that line all day every day to score the grannies.

3 people like this.
  7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Seriously underused Iine. But, there are so many good ones.

2 people like this.
  8. LA Guy

You could still have that kind scene, since the Falcon has always been a hunk of junk that could fly.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

I won't lie - I gagged when Anakin said that line in Revenge of the Sith. Not only was it a truly, truly terrible line, but the sulky way in which he said it made it even worse, if such a thing is even possible.

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

"Are you an angel?"

4 people like this.
  11. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Well-Known Member

Finally saw it last night and found my way here via Jasper's review (which I pretty much agreed with)

Some assorted impressions:

I thought the new cast were great. Ridley in particular.

My favorite moments paying homage to the originals were when the new characters interacted with the old stuff (Rey's vision of the corridor on Cloud City after touching Luke's lightsaber gave me chills; Finn wrestling with the Falcon's gun turret was funny). I wished they'd exercised some restraint and left it to a few moments like this instead of giving us Episode IV's plot rehashed and countless straight visual quotations (like having a mini trench run complete with the gun towers...ugh).

Snoke is a horrendous name for a villain. What were they thinking?

For all the hype about practical effects there was still an awful lot of Bad CGI (Snoke and the Rathar tentacle monsters being the most egregious examples).

All of the weapon and vehicle effects were pretty great, though.

Retconning Hyperspeed so you can jump from/to anywhere you damn please (out of a hanger, right into planetary atmosphere) pissed off my inner nerd.

So many plot points occur in an absurdly convenient manner, often with the effect of making an apparently huge universe feel a lot smaller.

The 'Map to find Luke' was a really weak MacGuffin.

Rey's introductory scene where she's scavenging the derelict Star Destroyer was totally awesome (and I wish they used less of it in the trailer).

Out of the new characters I had the most issue with Finn (most people seem to have more problems with Rey / Kylo). Why? Well from the first scene his character is already set, there's no development or nuance in the way he abandons the First Order for the Resistance. He goes straight from not being able to kill villagers to willingly blasting away his stormtrooper comrades "because its the right thing to do" even though they are the only people and ideology he has known since childhood. He also manages to choose the most difficult and unlikely to succeed manner of defecting possible (freeing Poe and escaping a Star Destroyer) making his defection all the more jarring. I was expecting it to be something like he returns to Jakku or some other planet still a stormtrooper and the rest of his platoon gets killed off leaving him alone and conflicted, or he faces Rey / BB-8 and finds he can't kill/capture them and ends up helping them instead. I felt like the 'Stromtrooper gone rogue' character had tons of potential but didn't quite work (even though I thought Boyega was good).

Hamill looked great as a bearded Druid-like figure on his little Irish island.

I really, really don't want Rey to be Luke's daughter but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed.

I can totally see the sequel playing out with Luke training Rey while Kylo consolidates his power and searches for them, setting a confrontation at the end, ie. echoing the Empire Strikes Back story arc. I really hope they deviate from that though.

12. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

It's like poetry it rhymes.

2 people like this.
  13. Neo_Version 7

^ See, that's why I can't accept that EP 8 and ESB will be completely separate movies that don't mimic the same beats. After all, ANH ended almost exactly like TFA: Empire/First Order suffering a critical blow which will lead to them "striking back",, Rey off to train like Luke with Yoda ending with a confrontation with Ben,, more little winks and nods to the OT and maybe throw the PT a bone,, etc.

What would be hilarious is if they completely subverted nerds expectations and time-jumped 3 years later with Luke basically telling Rey to fuck off and she's been back in Jaakuu scavenging junk with Chewbacca.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jr Mouse

Saw it the second time last night and picked up on some interesting things:

I suspected it before but it was much more clear the 2nd time around. Kylo is all but toying with Finn in the light saber battle at the end. It puts a lot of context to the battle and goes some way towards answering the criticisms @LA Guy and others had of it. While I still don't have an issue with Finn briefly standing his ground with a novice dark side user who had just been shot in the gut with a weapon that had been repeatedly shown to knock stormtroppers on their asses, I believe the intention of the scene was that Kylo could have taken him out any time he wished.

When Rey gets the lightsaber there is a shot of Kylo's face were he forms a slight smile. Driver is an excellent actor and I can only think this was an intentional hint given to the audience. It's all the more obvious he knows her from his past and I interpreted this scene as almost a sign of pride.

The star fighter battle at the end still didn't do much for me. I realized on the 2nd viewing that part of the problem is how small it felt. There couldn't have been more then 30 x-wings flying to battle and not a lot really happened. The sense of momentum wasn't there to captivate the audience.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Small quibble: Finn isn't cool with blasting his former buddies "because it's he right thing to do". That's just the BS he says. He does it because he's hoping to get his darksaber wet, which is eat more realistic.

2 people like this.
  16. Neo_Version 7

I forgot to mention the biggest thing I hated in the film. And that is the appearance of fatman Greg Grunberg. The fact that JJ made this tub of lard an X-Wing pilot is a sin on par with making Jar Jar Binks a senator in Attack of the Clones.

17. Jr Mouse

Hah. Well it's clear he likes Rey. It may seem superficial to some but this is a man who was stolen from his family as a young child and put into a brainwashing program by space Nazis. Rey and Poe are the first people in his life to show him kindness. He says so much with the line about how she looks at his eyes. Of course he's going to get attached to her and switch to protection mode. She validates him as a man and not a (literal) number.

18. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Well-Known Member

Hmm maybe, but he hasn't met Rey at that point, no? Or was even aware of her existence. If he met Rey and then was like 'screw this First Order crap' then yeah fair enough. Also if Captain Phasma is any indication the First Order was not without a female presence. Unless you're suggesting he had eyes for the dashing Mr Poe?

I probably should have just written a Haiku review now you mention it.

19. Jr Mouse

The breaking point for Finn was when his friend dies. It's clear he's never been in a battle before and that moment takes a lifetime of resentment towards being forced to work for these people and pushes him over the edge. Why did he choose to use Poe as a means of escape? What other options did he have at the time? He was desperate and well aware that Phasma was onto the fact he disobeyed orders to shoot at the villagers. Honestly this is all spelled out for you in the film.

Yes the first order had other females in it. Females raised from birth in the same brainwashing program he was put into.

20. LA Guy

I don't disagree that a lot has to occur offstage. I mean, this is not Nady Warhol filming the Empire State Building for 7 hours or whatever it was. That said, I think that important plots started onstage should not occur offstage.

I think that your post above actually supports what I wrote - that the Poe storyline seems rushed and unfinished - makes sense, since his survival was actually an executive afterthought "Oh yeah, actually, he survived."