1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Dude, have you ever seen a planet explode in real life? I didn't think so. So how do you know it does or doesn't look like?

1 person likes this.
  3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I am going to unsubscribe from this thread until I see the movie (if I ever do). I don't want to be tempted by the spoilers.

4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

He hasn't because you can't see it
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Wikipedia has a quote from Andy Serkis: "He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design—you couldn't have gotten there with prosthetics... Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone and facial structure." So basically, an excuse for mo-cap, as you said.

Shouldn't it have been a shock that there was someone resisting armed with a lightsabre in that scene? Where did this weapon come from that can take on a lightsabre, and why did that one stormtrooper uniquely have one?

Is this even supposed to be a mystery? Rey is trying on an X-wing pilot's helmet in a scene right at the beginning.

I thought it was supposed to be "obvious" she was Luke's kid at some point. How else could she best Kylo without even a single training session? I was disappointed she essentially could have killed him right off the bat in film #1 -- save that for the last part; he should have outmatched her still here, even if only barely.

What are the "Knights of Ren" and are they in the movie or just the backstory? I remember Kylo Ren being surrounded by stormtroopers most of the time.

Well, you're not wrong.

And as someone else said earlier, I was bothered that Leia and Chewy didn't so much as glance at one another in the third-act disembarking scene when she inexplicably heads straight to Rey, who then doesn't say anything to her about what happened on the mission, as I recall it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Kylo's goal was to hunt down Luke Skywalker. Why is it a leap to believe they may equip some of his men with weapons that could repel a light saber blade? I didn't find that hard to believe at all.

You only saw one. No reason to believe he was the only one.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. GoldenTribe

It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

It's expensive? It's heavy to carry? It's super specialized and there aren't many people fighting with lightsabers anymore?

Why didn't every grunt in WWII carry a bazooka?

2 people like this.
  9. GoldenTribe

Okay, but if you watch 13 hours of WWII movies, you will probably see more than one bazooka used once.

New weaponry is fun to watch, I just think it could have been better justified and contextualized. As I mentioned, a primary issue for me was that the basic premise of this weapon wasn't even possible in the universe until now as far as I know, and it's not really treated as if it's anything remarkable.

10. Ketawa

Ketawa Well-Known Member

I know people want to forget the prequels, but there were several droids in General Grievous' army in ROTS armed with a weapon that could take on a lightsaber.

3 people like this.
  11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Did Chewbacca have his tips down?

lefty

12. Grintricha

Grintricha Well-Known Member

the girl is an awful awful actress

i hope the emporer soap dude is actually teeny tiny and just projected big (hopefully with a requisite squeeky voice)

can't wait to see how big the next death maxi mega fuck off star is, if it's even bigger there'll be no way there is a weakness which a small rag tag band of fighters can exploit

that film was fucking gash, a complete load of old forrest gump, particular favourite bits were the fit of pique beat up a death star console with my light sabre 'cos I'm ruddy jolly well cross

1 person likes this.
  13. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

lol wut

4 people like this.
  14. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

There's a fan theory out there that says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis, former master of Palpatine. It would make things more interesting I guess.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  15. Suntory

Suntory Well-Known Member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    A force pike could repel it,no?

16. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

It's specialized, so no wonder why only Kylo Ren's close affiliates use them. Magna guards who used to protected CIS high ups also used staffs that could repel light saber strikes- it was even shown in the movies. So no big deal here.

17. Suntory

Suntory Well-Known Member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    So Royal guards with force pikes can handle Darth Vader?

18. Jr Mouse

In a fictional universe with light sabers the hard thing to suspend your belief for is someone designing a weapon that could repel light sabers. Riiight.

This just seems like such a minor thing to get hung up on. How/why does this specific weapon exist and that one storm trooper just happens to be carrying one? Because it looked cool and made for a memorable scene. Not that far off from the reason Lucas invented the concept of the light saber in the first place. ;)

At some point you need to just take a step back and ask yourself.

[​IMG]

19. Jr Mouse

It reminds me of the Thrawn trilogy. Out of no where the books introduced little space caterpillars that could repel the force in a small area around them. No one had seen those before, but they added a new challenge for the hero and thus were part of what made the books an entertaining story arc.

1 person likes this.
  20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, because I'm not that well acquainted with Star Wars, but didn't Palpatine tell a story to someone (Anakin, perhaps) about how an apprentice (Palpatine, in other words) had killed his master (Darth Plagueis)?

That being the case, it would make it rather unlikely that Snoke is Plagueis.