1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Snokes going to be Yoda size and pawn jedis with ease.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

I agree with the chatter that Rey and Ren are related. The Star Wars "familial conflict" trope is too strong to make Rey an outsider.

If she's Han & Leia's kid, why didn't they recognize her? I realize you have the Leia hug, but otherwise she's just "that girl." You would also have the fascinating sibling battle between light and dark for the rest of the trilogy.

If she's Luke's kid, the who is the mother? She and Kylo would be cousins - still familial.

I agree though that she was in training with Luke. Kylo went berserk and so Luke hid her on Jakku, probably wiping most of her memories for her protection. If she does already have subliminal force training, then that's fine. Otherwise, the fact that she can tap into it so easily suggests she's probably more powerful than Luke is.

Some of the best symbolism in the movie was during the lightsaber lock in the snow, Kylo suddenly tries to appeal to her to join up. Then that earthquake hits and creates this massive crevice between the two. Nice imagery.

Also during the Han death sequence, you have him going out on that bridge over a chasm (nothing good in SW ever happens over a chasm on a bridge, ESB), and that single pillar of light on the characters as the sun is getting absorbed. Kylo only stabs Han after all the light from the sun goes out, and he releases whatever reservations he has. Interesting symbolism. I think a lot of that dialogue between the two is miscomprehended by the public. The conversation sounds conciliatory, like Han has a chance of "converting him" - that's never the case, Kylo is trying to verbally gear himself up to kill his father.

3 people like this.
  3. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

But that quote was only in the trailer, but not in the actual movie, was it? It's also just a slight variation of what Luke said to Leia in ROTJ.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

It's actually taken from ROTJ. They just recut the order of the words to fit the trailer. Mark doesn't sound like that anymore as his voice has changed over the years.

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Must be all those Joker voiceovers he's done over the years...

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it - not as good as the first two but no weaker than Return of the Jedi. A little too referential of the first two films, but a more than decent stab at linking the originals to a new cast. Not without faults but much better than I feared and probably as good as I hoped. It had the odd moment that brought out the 6yr old who saw the original on it's release... :D

4 people like this.
  7. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

i thought TFA was a thoroughly good movie; good pace, a bit of lip service to its prequels, just the right amount of light sabre fighting, and funny dialogue in all the right parts. my favourite line:

Finn: We'll figure it out, we'll use the Force!
    Han Solo: That's not how the Force works!

The landscape of the closing scene with Rey meeting Luke was breathtaking.

3 people like this.
  8. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Good thing:

The girl, the shield control, and the weak spot all happened to be within walking distance of each other.

1 person likes this.
  9. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Since all the Jedi were killed off, any new Force sensitive characters we meet are either going to be related to one of the force sensitive characters we've already seen in the original trilogy, or is going to turn out to be someone that has been in hiding. Neither of these are particularly unique, but what are the other options?

10. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Got to reiterate that I am not an SW expert but is the "force" hereditary? A random dude can't just be born with it?

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

It's like[COLOR=f4a460] intelligence[/COLOR] that way.

1 person likes this.
  12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I mean...all of those kids in the prequels aren't coming from jedi parents since the jedi weren't supposed to have families.

But I suppose they could have been coming from force sensitive parents who just weren't found and trained (or who weren't that strong, but their offspring have grown stronger).

1 person likes this.
  13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I think it's both. You can inherit it and just be randomly born with it.

1 person likes this.
  14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Aside from all the massive stupidity in the plot I was taken aback by how average and dull it all seemed. I think I drifted off during the second act.

lefty

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...wakens-disappointment-debate-nostalgia/421332

Critical review, pointing out the movie's many faults and flaws as well as explaining the use of the
    Death Star 3.0 as an Abrams reset button. Apparently when it blew up some planets, that was supposed to be the entire new government and its entire armed forces, everything that had been built since Return of the Jedi. So when someone says "without the Republic fleet" when they're talking about attacking Death Star 3.0, it's because it's supposed to have been wiped out. This conveniently brings the star wars universe back exactly where it started 40 years ago. Surprise!

This handled so incredibly poorly in the movie, after watching it I wasn't even sure who had been attacked or why. I figured it was just some random target of convenience, a 9/11 style attack on civilians. Little did I realize how convenient it was.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  16. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

what's spoiler protocol now?

Luke is a passive aggressive pussy. Oh waaaaaah I'm running away because my nephew is a dick, NOCURR if the galaxy needs me...but wait, I'll leave a map "just in case" they want me to come back.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

And what do you think Supreme Lord is gonna do when he finds out Kylo was out banging Jabba all over Brooklyn when he should have been training?

1 person likes this.
  18. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

if the new Republic was that stupid to place their entire fleet on five or six planets so spatially close that you could see all of them blow up in the night sky, then the new Republic doesn't deserve to exist and should be destroyed.

To be honest, I didn't understand how Han and company could see all of those planets blowup in the sky. Those are like, light years away from each other, right? How long would it take for Mars to blowup and for us to see it?

19. Louys

Louys Well-Known Member

That moment when you walk out of theater trying to convince yourself it wasn't as bad as it actually was.

3 people like this.
  20. Suntory

Suntory Well-Known Member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    What if the reason why Rey was so strong was because of all the green packets of shit she ate that turned out to be Yoda's poop?