1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

I didn't think that scene was terrible. Imagine if they'd made the movie about that instead of
    Death Star 3.0.

Did it serve as anything but filler?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Regarding the above:

I agree the Starkiller base wasn't the strongest part of the film. Not so much for the sake of being another death star in itself but because the design and how it functioned didn't really work.

I did appreciate the almost meta commentary from characters in the film acknowledging the fact that it was something they'd all seen and defeated before. Felt like a nod/wink wink to what I'm sure a lot fans of the OT were thinking. I've got a feeling that the franchise won't be returning to that well anytime soon.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Rewatching parts of OT and prequels. Holy shit, how fucking stupid is 2? A bomb explodes on the starship when it lands, not in outer space. So fucking dumb.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

My favorite moment was Han giving Chewie the detonator. One of the only moments of subtlety in the entire film.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. Van Veen

My take on this movie was that the idea was to get the pandering out of the way and to apologize for the prequels. We get it... the prequels sucked. The script sucked, the actors sucked, and the characters had no personality. You didn't need to beat us over the head with it. Let's hope Rian Johnson can be a little more subtle and isn't required to shoehorn all the O.T. characters into the storyline. Luke's obviously going to play a huge role in the next film(s) and I have no problem with that, but I hope we don't see Leia, R2D2, C3PO, and (less so) Chewie until the epilogue of Episode 9.

1 person likes this.
  6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

You'd rather stick with the retards they cast for this horseshit?

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Going to see it this morning at 9am. I expect to be entertained, but feel I've pieced the movie together even without having read spoilers.

8. Jr Mouse

New cast were great in the film. Rey, Fin, Poe, Kylo and BB8. I honestly loved them. I've got no idea how soulless one would need to hate them all. One or two of them sure, but not them all. At some point I think you need to start questioning if you even like these types of movies.

3 people like this.
  9. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I hope we get to see a lot of Chewie and Luke Skywalker in the next movie

ps. the thread made SF's main page

1 person likes this.
  10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Seems like I'm the only one here, but I still think old Han worked better than expected, so he's the one I'm hoping to see most of in the next two.

7 people like this.
  11. Jr Mouse

It's Fok's way of saying

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

well yeah he was great but Mark Hamill lines were a little scarce in this movie, we didn't learn much about him so I hope he will play a major part in next movie

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I know you're kidding with 'scarce', but I wonder if his lines from the trailer were supposed to be in the movie at one point...

14. why

why Well-Known Member

That's a JJ problem, not a JW problem. He's an action director that can't do action scenes.

15. Jr Mouse

Further thoughts.

As I've said the Starkiller base didn't work as well as it could have as presented in the film, but is it really that far of a stretch to believe they would have made it? In ROTJ it made sense that the empire would have built a 2nd Death Star because the first one worked. They blew up a planet with it. The rebellion was put into a state of panic and knew that if they didn't destroy it all was lost. It's easy to accept that the first Deathstar being destroyed would have been viewed as a fluke and something that could have been compensated for with tweaks to the design. The Death Star was a powerful tool of destruction and intimidation and its easy to believe the Emporer would have wanted another one.

The First Order in this film was trying to establish themselves and build a new Empire. The logic around the Starkiller base would have come from these desires. Building a new symbol to create fear. A larger more powerful Deathstar type super weapon would help accomplish their goals.

The problem wasn't the logic in the fact that the First Order would have built it. The problem was the execution in how it was shown in the cut of the film we saw.

Having said all this, I do doubt we will see any more moving forward. You don't have characters on screen almost getting meta about the return of a death star type weapon unless you have no plans to bring them back in the future.

16. Van Veen

I did think the action scenes seemed very video gamey*, but maybe that's just because I'm more attuned to it than when I saw the originals. The pacing of the first third of the movie especially reminded me cutscenes (exposition) alternating with levels (action scenes).

"Use this turret to blast the TIE Fighters!" "Oh no, the turret got knocked out! Fly the Millennium Falcon into the Star Destroyer ruins to lose them!"

I don't have a problem with the acting. Mark Hamill did come across as a whiney brat a lot in the originals, and Carrie Fisher ain't exactly Meryl Streep.

17. Van Veen

I might have said this in another post, but it felt to me like the whole point of this movie was to get the pandering* out of the way, apologize to the fans for how shitty the prequels were, and to bring the fun back to the franchise. I think it went overboard in all of those areas, but I get it.

Using another Death Star-type weapon being part of the pandering. (Although if you built a superweapon—let's say, theoretically, a bomb that could wipe out an entire city—wouldn't you want to build another one? Maybe a more powerful one that could wipe out a bigger city? Or how about one that could be launched from thousands of miles away? Or maybe one that could be launched from thousands of miles away and carry multiple bombs that could be individually targeted? Theoretically, of course.)

2 people like this.
  18. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I think Mark Hamill may be much better actor now, look up his voice acting of the Joker in Batman games etc

19. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I rather enjoyed it

I did feel like the movie was disneyfied and more so aimed at that teenager market

I also felt like I had already watched this film in four and five. Seemed repetitive.

Really quite enjoyed everything else about it. Loved the blatant and not blatant references/Easter eggs. Loved the no dialogue scenes. Loved the casting and most of the acting. Loved the lightheartedness. I thought the writing was generally quite tight and well thought out. Denouement kinda sucked. Wished it was less black and white.

Could totally see ataturk and why hating it tho. But then again I don't recall them talking about a single thing they actually enjoyed. Generally always just hating

1 person likes this.
  20. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Did I not say that I liked the first half hour? That I liked Rey and Ren well enough that

you could make a decent sequel involving them (but they won't). Anyone who thinks Disney is finished aping the original movies has, as they, another thing coming.