1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. NathalieMartin

NathalieMartin Active Member

They are opposites for sure, but it's part of what makes them so likeable together too. In the first trilogy, the group seemed like a bunch of misfits in some ways, forced together for a purpose. That feeling exists here too, but it's not surprising considering how many similarities TFA has with A New Hope.

2. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I think they realized it would pretty impossible to reconcile Vader with rebel allience so he had to die
    but they did show his redemption as he became a force ghost like Obi and other good guys

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

How old is your niece? I've never met anyone who took movie or video game ratings very seriously except an elementary school friend's mom who interpreted them literally. I remember because some early version of video game ratings had Kids to Adults which was like 7+ and she wouldn't let her kid play those games (ironically older but more violent video games he could play because they didn't have a rating).

4. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

I suppose in order for it to be analogous to Christianity there would have to be some intergalactic Savior who had already paid for Vader's sins, but whatevs. :)

I recognize that what Vader did was of great benefit to the galaxy, but I can't help but think that Vader only turned on the Emperor when it was apparent that the Emperor was going to kill his kid. I'm not sure that that's a great example of heroism--only the lamest and most evil person would stand by and let his kid be murdered right in front of him. Vader showed a lot of inner conflict during ROTJ, but there wasn't much reason to suggest that he was anything other than on board with Palpatine's plan up until it was clear that Palpatine was actually going to kill Luke.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

and be replaced. :)

I agree with you: I'm just saying that it isn't unheard of evil characters being forgiven/redeemed by a single good act.

6. VaderDave

I sometimes wish that more people would pay attention, actually. There's nothing like sitting in a theater watching Batman v. Superman with a bunch of sobbing little kids because mom and dad thought that it would be fine to take them to a "comic book" movie. I still remember the mass exodus from the theater during the first five minutes of Lord of the Rings--screaming kids and upset parents who apparently hadn't done even the most basic research into the movie.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

She was just under 5 at the time.

I wouldn't have cared, but he thought differently. I can only assume others think the same way.

8. NathalieMartin

NathalieMartin Active Member

I think many parents expect a 12A to be kid friendly by default. How wrong they are...

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Never tried to.

You do realize that the folks who dragged Alien into this thread and trying to make comparisons are the people arguing I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT SIGOURNEY WEAVER ON THE INTERNET WHEN ALIEN CAME OUT SO THAT PROVES I CAN'T BE SEXIST

10. lawyerdad

lolwut?
    I'd reprise the question someone asked about daughters and girlfriends.
    I have one daughter, multiple nieces, and lots of friends with daughters. Most of the young, reading-age girls I know love the shit out of some Harry Potter.

11. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry I could make it more clear what I meant. Arguement was SW is alot like HP, but it is HP what appeal to girls(generalization) because it focuses more on friends, bonds, relationships etc. SW is more of boy story and will remain a boy story even if you swap Luke with Rey. So SW will never have such girl appeal as HP in it's current shape imo.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  12. Jr Mouse

Star Wars can be anything the writers, directors and Disney decides it needs to be.

1 person likes this.
  13. lawyerdad

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying. Anyone who thinks HP doesn't appeal to girls hasn't met my nieces . . .

14. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

Well all women I know liked Harry Potter, same can't be said for SW. Tbh I liked Harry Potter movies too, they were quite good. My ex made me watch them and i was surprised they didn't suck :p

15. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Was totally joking with that comment, I know you weren't comparing them.

I'm not interested in defending wojt, by the way - I'm trying to defend the notion that Rey's abilities are questionable and it's not because she's a woman. She shouldn't have been able to mind trick Daniel Craig despite it being an amusing scene. And I think you can compare Ripley's struggle to overcome a more powerful opponent through cunning to Rey's ability to overcome supposedly stronger, trained opponents through a connection to the force she doesn't even know she has.

16. lawyerdad

They were insanely, meticulously faithful to the books. The only other example of that sort of fidelity I can think of is The Princess Bride (in that case the novel's author was also the screenwriter for the movie).

17. VaderDave

Oh yeah: I forgot about the whole "Palpatine just threw Vader under the bus" part. :D
    It's true. It certainly makes for a more interesting movie than a character who undertakes years/decades of penance.That would be boring AF.

18. ken

ken Well-Known Member

I wonder what Palpatine's plan was after he killed Luke.

Vader: Dude, were you really trying to replace me?
    Emperor: Listen, Darth... we need to talk.

1 person likes this.
  19. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

Remember that Vader motives were egoistical as well he wanted to use Luke to overthrow Palpy in ESB-ROTJ, only as plot of ROTJ progresses he begins to crack

20. Jr Mouse

It's a testament to how important the Star Wars franchise is to people that so much discussion and debate can be held on a single movie that came out months ago. Compare that to Civil War, which while a good flick, seems to be largely immune to fanboy nit-picking.

"We must be accountable!" *goes recruits a young kid with 6 months experience to fight in his war.* Good job Tony, you fool. :tounge:

EDIT: Speaking of which, if Disney is really trying to push this SJW/Feminist agenda then how come we have yet to see a single MARVEL film with a female as the main character and hero? It's been how many years?