• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what's so hard to get about Finn working in sanitation during the station's construction.

They were building a mega base and needed all the labor they could get... Doesn't mean he wasn't part of the military. I mean look at the navy... Boatswain's mates are basically janitors/maintenance men... Doesn't mean they haven't done the same combat training as the radar operator.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know what's so hard to get about Finn working in sanitation during the station's construction.

They were building a mega base and needed all the labor they could get... Doesn't mean he wasn't part of the military. I mean look at the navy... Boatswain's mates are basically janitors/maintenance men... Doesn't mean they haven't done the same combat training as the radar operator.

Yup, all US military personnel go through boot camp. Even the musicians.*

* So I don't get called out on a technicality, the sole exception is the top Marine Corps band.

Then again, ...

... they did portray Finn as someone without much combat experience. It seemed like the opening battle was the first time he was "in the ****." So there is a little bit of rationalization necessary that somehow he could get past that and tap into his training/instincts.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually yes. Clone Wars is canon. So Darth Maul survived being cut in half as stupid as that was. Disney owns Lucasfilm and they own the franchise has said that they count Clone Wars. What they decide is canon counts. It has nothing to do with my own logic as I have no part in making these decisions, unfortunately. ;)

It's actually not that complicated. When Disney bought The franchise they made a decision to toss out all the old EU books and comics. They are considered "Legends" now and not official canon. They also stated that moving forward they have the option to mine the old stories for ideas. So while the Thrawn trilogy is no longer canon there is no reason they couldn't do a movie with the character of Thrawn in it telling a brand new story. Any of the old EU lore is up for grabs, but those old stories don't count any longer.

Clone Wars, Rebels and any of the new books/comics put out since the acquisition are canon. The one book I believe there is confusion on is the one about Darth Plagious. I've yet to read a definitive statement on it and no one online seems to be sure.

that's pretty dumb they did that, old divide movies/EU made more sense

In my mind always only the main movies mattered not EU or anything, I guess it makes me some kind of a purist unbeliever then :embar:

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

that's pretty dumb they did that, old divide movies/EU made more sense

In my mind always only the main movies mattered not EU or anything, I guess it makes me some kind of a purist unbeliever then :embar:

George Lucas always had a weird relationship with the old EU. He came to support it in a way beyond just another sorce of revenue, but always claimed he would contradict it as he saw fit. I believe the Prequels contradicted several established EU stories when they hit.

Honestly the EU had got so convoluted by the time Disney bought the franchise they had to toss it out. It was the right decision. I see it no different then when DC or Marvel decides to go clean slate after a number of years. It's not like the old EU doesn't exist anymore. You can still track down and read these stories if you want. The Thrawn trilogy is still fantastic. It's all just no longer even remotely considered canon.

Keep in mind that the new books/comics/cartoons being canon does not mean they are considered high on the pecking order. If a future movie contradicts something in them, well I guarantee you that the movies version will be law. They are the most important franchise vehicle. So in that regard, yes movies are what matter. Yet this still doesn't mean the new side stuff doesn't count as official canon.

FWIW, I focus on the movies too. Would rather pretend spider tank Maul never existed. ;)

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I focus on the movies too. Would rather pretend spider tank Maul never existed. ;)

Having not watched the Clone Wars cartoons: what happens with Darth Maul? Does he get kilt f'reals after being a spider tank, or is he somewhere out there still?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rey owns Kylo Ren with minimal training,

Don't forget Kylo Ren was shot in the stomach/hip by Chewie with his bowcaster. That thing was sending Stormtroopers flying like they were bowling pins. He wasn't in top form at all, as evidenced by all the blood leaking out of him during the initial moments of his confrontation with Finn and Rey.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darth Maul's upper body mounted to a robotic spider lower body. It was in the cartoon.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Having not watched the Clone Wars cartoons: what happens with Darth Maul? Does he get kilt f'reals after being a spider tank, or is he somewhere out there still?

DAFUQ is a spider tank?

Fraggle-stick car?

I've not watched it either but read up enough about what happened to Maul to give you the Cliff's Notes. Survived being cut in two using the dark side. Was discovered by an alien race who outfitted him with robotic legs. He was deranged and nearly mad for a while from the whole ordeal. Was later found by his brother and got his sanity back. Also was given normal humanoid looking legs. Both had adventures and plotted revenge against Obi-Wan. Killed his GF and eventually was eventually discovered by a not too happy Palpatine. The brother was killed and Palpatine took Darth Maul away to never be heard of again.

It honestly sounds like Darth Maul fanfic to me.

I also believe an ancient weapon called a "darksaber" was involved. Kind of a reverse lightsaber in form.

That's really all I know. I keeping hearing Clone Wars gets really good towards the end of the 2nd season but I can't bring myself to watch it. It reminds me too much of the prequels.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched 2 full seasons :embar: i liked some of the episodes but rebels are better imo
that's pretty much what happened, sad part his return was given green light by Luca$, darth maul surviving is George Lucas going full marsupial since he made super clear Darth Maul died in TPM.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honestly hope they just reboot the prequels after this trilogy. Can't be worse than what Lucas gave us.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I honestly hope they just reboot the prequels after this trilogy. Can't be worse than what Lucas gave us.

I've thought about this and as much as I would want it to happen it's playing with fire. You are opening the doors to a reboot of the OT too, which would be a disaster. At this point I think it's best to move forward. Not backwards.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they could just start over. Do we really need Luke Skywalker in the storyline?

I mean, really--do we need Luke Skywalker?

:embar:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey now...storm troopers are supposed to be elite soldiers who have been trained and brainwashed for that purpose from early childhood. Not unreasonable that they may have been trained in melee weapons.

Ren may be magical, but I doubt he had anywhere near the amount of combat training as Finn (and certainly has less physical strength). And antilightsaber storm trooper probably had extra training, so it is not that surprising he might beat Finn.
Finn vs. Ren. It would be like me facing a world class fencer. I have some rudimentary understanding of fencing principles, and I'm reasonably confident that in overall hand-to-hand combat training and practice, I have a lot more years in it then any Olympic fencer, but I mean, c'mon, I'd be skewered nearly immediately. Physical strength doesn't matter much when it comes to magical laser weapons. Luke Skywalker, in Empire Strikes back, is only halfway finished his training, and he could kick any stormtroopers ass. Ren is much more advanced than was Luke, and there is no indication that Finn was a standout in any way. In fact, the expedition to Jakku was his first engagement.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finn vs. Ren.  It would be like me facing a world class fencer.  I have some rudimentary understanding of fencing principles, and I'm reasonably confident that in overall hand-to-hand combat training and practice, I have a lot more years in it then any Olympic fencer, but I mean, c'mon, I'd be skewered nearly immediately.  Physical strength doesn't matter much when it comes to magical laser weapons.  Luke Skywalker, in Empire Strikes back, is only halfway finished his training, and he could kick any stormtroopers ass.  Ren is much more advanced than was Luke, and there is no indication that Finn was a standout in any way. In fact, the expedition to Jakku was his first engagement.

How confident would you be against a world class fencer that had been shot in the stomach?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads