1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. thats.mana

thats.mana Well-Known Member

^^I believe the sale is over.

2. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

fever.se sale was one day only

3. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

4. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Well-Known Member

omg I wanted those damir doma boots at fever. fuckfuckfuckfuckjfkfkucfksufiwr231!@#!@#!#%#@!$

5. lilcram

lilcram Well-Known Member

Code: XMAS30

Is karma loop banned from showing up on SF?

6. APK

APK Well-Known Member

Too many people from their "rep" program coming by wanting to "share" with us how we could get a discount by using their rep codes.

7. lilcram

lilcram Well-Known Member

got it.

Well I think this is better then anything they can offer.

8. APK

APK Well-Known Member

They did this last year, too. I think it got up to something like 40 or 50 percent off by time New Year's rolled around.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

They are not banned. They are not allowed to promote on the site without paying, that's all. I think that our prices are more than reasonable. No pay, no play. This is not a hard rule to understand, especially by people who are trying to hussle a dollar. I am moving this to the sales thread, where all non-affiliate PSAs should go.

10. mystillwater

mystillwater Well-Known Member

Code: XMAS30

Is karma loop banned from showing up on SF?

this isn't much of a sale... ......... seems to mark everything up 30% before they "leak" the codes... i'll pass

11. APK

APK Well-Known Member

They are not banned. They are not allowed to promote on the site without paying, that's all. I think that our prices are more than reasonable. No pay, no play. This is not a hard rule to understand, especially by people who are trying to hussle a dollar. I am moving this to the sales thread, where all non-affiliate PSAs should go.

In fairness, any time I've seen one of those threads pop up, it's one of KL's "street reps," not someone who works for KL.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

In fairness, any time I've seen one of those threads pop up, it's one of KL's "street reps," not someone who works for KL.

That's true. But although ......... claims to discourage this type of behavior, and they've sent me emails to that effect, their incentive structure certainly encourages it.

13. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

Why so much interest in sales around here? Sales are nothing more than a mechanism used to create impulse purchases, needlessly increasing consumption and frequently burdening the buyer with pieces they probably would not have bought otherwise. Honestly, is 30% off really enough of a difference to merit you suddenly buying something that you previously declined buying at full price? Personally, I find that when I repeatedly fall for these sales traps I end up spending more money overall and my wardrobe gets filled with many so-so pieces that I don't truly love-- kind of defeats the whole purpose of a sale.

The two best masters of the impulse buy and hyper consumption I can think of are GILT Group and Costco. These companies whole business model is based on nearly 100% of the purchase decisions being made in this manner. My wife and I found we actually spend far less money per month after canceling our membership at the later. Yet all our friends think we are delusional for not constantly visiting Costco for its great and unexpected "deals".

14. bobby2times

bobby2times Active Member

What? You sound like a freshman trying to explain sales in philosophy 101.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Why so much interest in sales around here? Sales are nothing more than a mechanism used to create impulse purchases, needlessly increasing consumption and frequently burdening the buyer with pieces they probably would not have bought otherwise. Honestly, is 30% off really enough of a difference to merit you suddenly buying something that you previously declined buying at full price? Personally, I find that when I repeatedly fall for these sales traps I end up spending more money overall and my wardrobe gets filled with many so-so pieces that I don't truly love-- kind of defeats the whole purpose of a sale. The two best masters of the impulse buy and hyper consumption I can think of are GILT Group and Costco. These companies whole business model is based on nearly 100% of the purchase decisions being made in this manner. My wife and I found we actually spend far less money per month after canceling our membership at the later. Yet all our friends think we are delusional for not constantly visiting Costco for its great and unexpected "deals".
    So you're stupidly loose with your spending and therefore sales are bad because you lack self-control? Gotcha.

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

17. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

Why so much interest in sales around here? Sales are nothing more than a mechanism used to create impulse purchases, needlessly increasing consumption and frequently burdening the buyer with pieces they probably would not have bought otherwise. Honestly, is 30% off really enough of a difference to merit you suddenly buying something that you previously declined buying at full price? Personally, I find that when I repeatedly fall for these sales traps I end up spending more money overall and my wardrobe gets filled with many so-so pieces that I don't truly love-- kind of defeats the whole purpose of a sale.

The two best masters of the impulse buy and hyper consumption I can think of are GILT Group and Costco. These companies whole business model is based on nearly 100% of the purchase decisions being made in this manner. My wife and I found we actually spend far less money per month after canceling our membership at the later. Yet all our friends think we are delusional for not constantly visiting Costco for its great and unexpected "deals".

This is only true if you are someone who obsessed with brands and doesn't thoroughly consider most purchases. I'd hope I am right in saying most people on here do neither. Personally, if it's an expensive purchase I'll take a day or two and think about.

18. dsbkoko

dsbkoko Well-Known Member

Maybe some of us, unlike your family, make lists of wants/needs and only fulfill those needs when shopping. Therefore going to a sale at Costco or GILT is not an impulse buy, but rather a calculated attempt at saving the most possible money. Come on, if you think smart, you can spend smart.

19. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

^^ I think that rookies and head-up-the-ass types can be duped by sales, but sales work for me just fine. I know my stores and their inventory, I keep an eye on what I want and visit now and then, and lo and behold a lot of what I want is still there at sales time. It helps to work with some SAs who know you and who will set items aside shortly before the big drops, then apply the sales % later to make it work.

The stores win because I am a loyal customer and I make full price purchases as well from time to time. I also spend a lot more money than I would otherwise. You don't have to be a baller (I am not, not even close) to make it work. Actually I thought most people on SF were doing this or something similar.

20. snake

snake Well-Known Member

^^ I think that rookies and head-up-the-ass types can be duped by sales

Yeah, I think what BB1 is trying to get at is that sales can sometimes make people make purchases they normally wouldn't, which can result is some sort of buyers remorse. Just because it's a sale doesn't always make it a smart purchase.

I put whatever that catches my eye on a list and will buy it later if I still like it then. If there happens to be a sale on that particular item, even better.