1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**Official Kansas City Thread**

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Pilot, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Most important question: Is Oklahoma Joe's still open? [​IMG]

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

How much snow did you guys get? I'm moving up this weekend and wondering it it's even doable.

3. latkaguy

latkaguy Well-Known Member

Appropos of nothing at all, with all the mention of BBQ in Kansas City, I am surprised that nobody mentioned Strouds, which is to fried chicken what Arthur Bryant's is to BBQ. Is it no longer open? I know the original one is no longer there, but the one in the old farmhouse was going strong last time I was in KC, and the fried chicken was spectacular.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

They're on Shawnee Mission Parkway in Fairway now. I always thought Stroud's was a bit overrated but we ate it quite a bit when I was a kid. It's been a long time since I've had it.

5. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Well-Known Member

Strouds is still open as far as I know, drive by it sometimes and there are cars out but have never gone there myself.

How much snow did you guys get? I'm moving up this weekend and wondering it it's even doable.

It snowed last night but this week the weather is supposed to be great.

6. BaaBaaBlackFleece

BaaBaaBlackFleece Active Member

hey guys.....rarely post here, but this thread had to bring me out from under my rock......

kc here, would love to see about a meet-up!

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Alright so I had Arthur Bryant's and it was pretty legit. Got the burnt ends. Trying Gates today.

8. Thracozaag

Which Gates location?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Main st. south of downtown

10. S-Town

S-Town Well-Known Member

Gate's blow Arthur Bryant's out of the water. I don't want to eat BBQ in a place that isn't grimy. I got a little flustered the first time I went to Gate's and they yelled their "HI, MAY I HELP YOU?" I was about 10 deep in line and couldn't even see the menu yet. The Combo and a Half sandwich is awesome. Get extra pickles on the side too.

Rosedale on SW Blvd is really good too! On their menu for beer, they have the options: pint or quart. I ordered a quart thinking it'd be a big glass, but they handed me a 32 oz. bottle of Bud and a little disposable plastic cup.

Also, check out Westport Flea Market for a burger...if it's still around.

Man, I miss KC. It's the midpoint between my current location and my family's home, so I get to pop in a few times a year.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

Westport Flea Market is still around.

Gate's is nasty

12. Thracozaag

I'm an Okie Joe's guy; Woodyard is also pretty damn good.

13. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Arthur Bryant's was way better than Gates.

14. S-Town

S-Town Well-Known Member

I think most people try both, find out they like one better, and never look back. Don't get me wrong, I'd eat Bryant's everyday if someone placed it in front of me.

15. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

lc's stomps everything in town barbeque related
    they have bars on the windows you know it's bomb

16. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

btw jussa heads up but halls plaza is carrying simon spurr now. at least they had a rack of it last week. sooo that should definitely hit 70% off next end of season

17. JhwkMac

sooo that should definitely hit 70% off next end of season
    [​IMG] never been to LCs but as far as BBQ I think some places have certain dishes better than others. At Oklahoma joe's I get the carolina style pulled pork sandwich, Gates does really good burnt ends, and arthur bryants ribs.

18. JhwkMac

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of the store Hudson and Jane in Brookside. They have probably the best stuff in KC. Arnys, Mackintosh, bespoke shirts out of new england, RLPL, savile row accessories, etc.

Rick, the owner, has graciously offered to host our first KC meeting. I believe he will also provide wine and beer.

How's that sound?

19. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Well-Known Member

Damn. This threak should be resurrected. I believe Hudson and Jane used to on the plaza. HOw do you know the owner by the way?

20. JhwkMac

Just from visiting the store. it's now at the Crestwood shops in Brookside, there's a male side and female. I went in today to browse and talked with him about how there are quite a bit of styleforum Kansas citians so he offered to host. heres their site: http://www.hudsonandjane.com/