• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**Official Kansas City Thread**

S-Town

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
As much as I dislike Standardstyle, that's quite achievement for Matt.

Why the dislike for Standardstyle? I've only been into each of the stores once. It's definitely not the greatest store I could imagine, but compared to the average "cool clothing" store in KC, I think it's pretty decent. Are there any stores in Kansas or Missouri where you can pick up something even as good as Nudies or LVC? I havn't seen a store in St. Louis that even holds a candle to Standardstyle...

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind it. I just don't go there anymore. The prices aren't that great and also I feel that the store has no direction. It just sells what's currently popular w/o sense of flow of items. It's sad though that besides Halls, this is the only other store that sells decent clothes.

S-Town

Reaction score
Yeah, i get ya. There is a lack of direction, especially on the men's side. Some decent brands, but only one or two items from each. Unfortunately, if the store got any cooler, it would probably run itself out of business in KC.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S-Town
Yeah, i get ya. There is a lack of direction, especially on the men's side. Some decent brands, but only one or two items from each. Unfortunately, if the store got any cooler, it would probably run itself out of business in KC.

I always wondered if stores like Barney's would survive here.

S-Town

Reaction score
That's a good question. There are plenty of people with $$ in KC. I think it would take a while for folks to realize that Halls and Nordstrom aren't the highest end stores in the city anymore.

Septavius

Reaction score
Sak's Fifth Avenue used to hold the place in the Plaza that Hall's has now, isn't that so (or maybe it was just nearby)? And the Ralph Lauren store in the Plaza closed up years ago...

JhwkMac

Reaction score
I always wondered if stores like Barney's would survive here.
I'd probably say no on that. There are people in KC with $$ but I feel that most of the people that buy the $1k zegna jackets at Halls or whatever would think twice before spending $2k+ on prada or gucci suits that Barneys has. As far as Standard Style, I get the lack of direction comment, but they really have some great brands that you can't find in other places in KC. Gitman shirts, Apolis Activism shorts. They do have too many items from some overpriced lines that aren't well made imo like shades of greige and Ever. But with that said, the Baldwin jeans i've tried on are some of the best i've seen. great fit, minimalist, well made. I checked them out when they first came out with the Cone Mills denim, i'm not sure how the japanese one they are using now stacks up. The rest of the Baldwin line isn't bad. Esquivel made shoes, the shirts have a great snug fit and well made oxford cloth but price is steep last i checked at around $150 per shirt.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Septavius
Sak's Fifth Avenue used to hold the place in the Plaza that Hall's has now, isn't that so (or maybe it was just nearby)? And the Ralph Lauren store in the Plaza closed up years ago...

Saks used to be where the new Eddie Bauer is going to be. Highwoods properties is a POS for running out Saks. WTF is Forever21 store doing between Tivol's and Hall's? Makes no sense.

Also I am still pissed that Reversed closed.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
I'd probably say no on that. There are people in KC with $$ but I feel that most of the people that buy the $1k zegna jackets at Halls or whatever would think twice before spending $2k+ on prada or gucci suits that Barneys has.

As far as Standard Style, I get the lack of direction comment, but they really have some great brands that you can't find in other places in KC. Gitman shirts, Apolis Activism shorts. They do have too many items from some overpriced lines that aren't well made imo like shades of greige and Ever.

But with that said, the Baldwin jeans i've tried on are some of the best i've seen. great fit, minimalist, well made. I checked them out when they first came out with the Cone Mills denim, i'm not sure how the japanese one they are using now stacks up. The rest of the Baldwin line isn't bad. Esquivel made shoes, the shirts have a great snug fit and well made oxford cloth but price is steep last i checked at around $150 per shirt.

Many people here have money but have no sense of style. They blow money on the ugliest *****.

Some of the brands at Standard are great indeed, but the prices are steep. Between online retailers, B&S, and my frequent trips to bigger cities, it is just not worth it to shop at this store. I have seen and felt the Baldwin jeans personally. Again for 200 bucks plus tax, you really can find good deals out there. I bought my both of my Dior MIJ raws NWT for less than $180 on SUFU.

I mean for those that are stuck between Armani Exchange and Guess, SS is a great alternative. But this is styleforum, so I have to criticize. haha.

JhwkMac

Reaction score
Many people here have money but have no sense of style. They blow money on the ugliest *****.

Agreed. My roomate just spent over $200 dollars on 3 button up shirts from Express.. He shuddered when I told him I'm buying hand sewn shirts from Napoli for less then 50 bucks. haha

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does standard on the plaza even SELL men's clothing still? i was in there like a year ago and they had 5 steven alen shirts, a nico jacket and some topsiders. I was like umm cool. I think I read they're closing the plaza store and moving everything out to leawood anyway, I could be wrong.

honestly I think Hall's / hall's crown center is hands down the best men's store in town. not even close. maybe we should do a store crawl one day and then follow it up with a pub crawl
biggrin.gif

The best places to buy designer clothes in KC are not the places you wouldnt expect. I could tell you guys more but blowing up my spots on here cannot be done
fight[1].gif

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
The best places to buy designer clothes in KC are not the places you wouldnt expect. I could tell you guys more but blowing up my spots on here cannot be done
fight[1].gif

You *****.
lol8[1].gif
j/k

If anyone wants to meet up this Sat. for some coffee or something. Get at me with PMs.

KimcheeFACE

Reaction score
what's up fellow kansascitians

I just joined the site and I thought this would be the best thread for my first post.

Peace
laugh.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
To bring a somber note to the thread, Rick Covitz of Rick's Tailoring in OP passed away last week. Rick was a good guy who knew good stuff (although the store has all levels of quality). It's where I get all my alterations work done.

His son Jeff (also a good guy) will continue running the store, I assume.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads