1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Someone could buy Piob a nice Strat and Marshall amp for 2k and still have 2k left to spend on themselves. Just saying...

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Piob, saw this guy at a local GC-used section. A 2011 MiM, but feels absolutely fantastic. Great neck and fretwork, really sweet tone, set up well. Custom shop stamp on it too (not sure on how MiM strats merit that, or the various models of MiM strats) - but this guy is really a winner.

Proxy?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the offer! I'm going to pass though for two reasons. I do not like any of the whites and I'm going for US or a good MIJ. But seriously, very nice offer and I appreciate it.

4. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Reported for racism

2 people like this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

what's the deal with strats that have a humbucker at the bridge?

1 person likes this.
  6. El Argentino

They're just HSS strats. Nothing uncommon...

Am I misunderstanding the question?

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

well i've seen them before, but never played one. the bridge pickup on a standard strat is awesome for lead to begin with, what does the buck add to the HSS? Simply more output?

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I bought one of those MIM Strats about 14 years ago for my son. Amazing guitar for the money and I think it is better than most of the 70's US Strats I've ever played. NIce neck, great feel, easy to play, everything you want. The bridge humbucker was a typical heavy metal mod in the 90's for more crunch.

I agree that a standard Strat lead and middle pickup have their own great sound. Why mess with that? Well, guitars are kind of like cars and some guys just want to have fun tweaking them. I can never understand what guys put HB pickups in the lead position of a Tele. I do understand why they put them in the rythmn spot however.

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I heading up to Napa on Wednesday for a little wine tasting at this winery. http://minerwines.com/about/benedetto/

They have a connection with Bob Benedetto the luthier. I got to know Bob when he was first launching his business and wrote a feature on him for Vintage Guitar magazine. We became friends and hung out at a few guitar shows and he did some endorsement instruments for a few musician friends of mine. (One who plays a Benedetto 7 string. A real beautiful sounding and playing guitar).

If you are interested in a jazz box, check out Benedetto guitars if you ever have a chance.

10. El Argentino

There's a contingent of true-believers on Strat-Talk that swear anyone buying a MiA strat is out of their minds b/c the differences between MiMs and MiAs is minimal in modern production. So many claim to have had MiMs that outplay US-standards, etc. that it's a little bit farcical. I'm not one to totally buy into their reasoning, but having played on the one I pictured above for a good while, I'm definitely more inclined to believing.

Without a doubt, I have picked up MiMs that are complete stinkers. Frets are jagged off the neck, body feels lifeless, no mojo at all. I've also played MiAs that just don't sound right. Something feels off - those errors aren't as easy to pin down as crap MiMs though.

But after playing the white guy above, I have no problem saying that some MiMs definitely "have it." If I hadn't just recently purchased a used MiA, I would've bought that guy in a heartbeat - it felt that good even compared to (what I believe) is a very well-made, playing, set-up US-deluxe.

W/o a doubt MiMs have stepped their game up in the last few years. I won't make the blanket statement that there's no gap between US- and MX-made, but sometimes you find one that could break that barrier.

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

I had a Benedetto Bambino once - got it for a steal during a liquidation event. Incredible guitar, especially considering it was (is?) Benedetto's lowest tier model.

Still way more guitar than I could do justice to so ended up selling (for a nice profit too). I miss it but it was the right move in the end.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

That Bambino is a real beauty!

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Are you my mother? I like my MiM strat just fine. There is a blemish in the finish (maybe that's the downgrade you get for going M instead of US), but otherwise, I haven't felt like it was inferior to any of the MiUS strats (the "American" ones, not the fancier lines) I have touched at guitar shops. I think the story (at least 13-14 years ago) was that everything going into them was the same, it was just your choice mexican laborer in mexico or a mexican laborer in the US putting them together.

If I were piob, I would probably skip that one just because of the pickup (since he's looking for the strat sound), but I wouldn't shy away from another MiM that was like mine.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

played Benedetto's a few times... never owned one but had them in the shop for extended periods and got to rock them out at my leisure. that's one hell of an axe... nice!

not exactly... and Fender's production quality has basically been shit for a good, long while now. Only the high-end models and special Custom Shop etc. orders are completely made within the US now. Even models that say "Made in USA" on the stupid little sticker are mostly (to a certain percentage) made in Mexico and then taken across the border to be finished just enough to qualify them to legally state that it was made in USA. This happens in many industries obviously, and there have been WTO initiatives to close these loopholes, but it still persists.
    And even if it were actually 100% USA, you want to pay at least $2K if not over $4K (Custom) for a Fender? that's a joke.

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

This is one guitar that makes me sign with pleasure from just looking at it. Simply stunning!

17. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took this at the Miner Winery in Napa Valley yesterday. When we arrived for our tour I mentioned Bob Benedetto and guitars and they asked,"Would you like to go upstaies to the guitar room?" Dave Miner, the owner owns over 12 Benedettos. each year he trades cases of special edition wines to Bob in exchange for a custom guitar. We only saw four of his collection but you can see a few more on the winery website.

They treated us like special guests, taking us upstairs, bringing us glass after glass after glass of whites and reds to taste. It was fun sitting around talking guitars and drinking lots of great wine.

3 people like this.
  18. El Argentino

Pups arrived yesterday afternoon, so this weekend is going to be quite entertaining.

1 person likes this.
  19. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Tone King Imperial! Knopfler's current amp.

20. El Argentino

[​IMG]

My Strat, and a friend's Tele. Let me borrow it for a few days; interesting how different guitars seem to prompt different play from their user.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    2 people like this.