1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think Gome has infected me with GAS. The Tele look and sound is really getting me going.

Gome, get my text today? It's a Danelectro pawnshop guitar.

3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Nickel has a more blue color. It takes on more character over time. Chrome is brighter and pretty much stays that way. Go with nickel. :slayer:

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

^ I agree with psg on the nickel.

I have a 59-DC Danelectro reissue. Awesome, fun guitar.

and $200bucks. :slayer:

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

pB, does it have the lipstick pups?

6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Never played a reissue but sure loved the originals. I once put together a matched set of $200 mint copper and white Danos. A one PU and 2PU before the reissues came out. Tried to get the double neck and the long horn bass but they were Dano "grail" and expensive. I think the bass at the time was $800 (you could get a pre-CBS P- bass for $1,200 so why get a Dano?)

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Here is a pic of a double neck. SRV owned and played one live. His bass was converted to a six string baritone guitar by Charlie's Guitar SHop in Dallas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

It's a shame Jerry Jones stopped making his versions.

9. Piobaire

Any tips on getting the sound to Young's original version of Cinnamon Girl?

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

His guitar tech used to come to the guitar shows in Dallas/Arlington. This is what he told me. Early 50's Les Paul Standard. Headstock broken numerous times and repaired. Grover tuners, A Firebird pickup in the neck that is very microphonic, Bigsby, painted black body (a very poor job) and a beatup Fender tweed Deluxe. The tech was looking for another early 50's LP that was trashed to make another "back-up" guitar for Neil.

11. Piobaire

Thanks, PSG, you always have the best stories. For some reason I've always loved the guitar, both the tone and the music, to that song. I wonder if there's a stomp box out there that will help recreate that?

12. gomestar

the tone sounds a little fuzzy, which a stomp box could do

13. patrickBOOTH

Oh yes.

14. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

I haven't played one, but the Lovepedal Les Lius is supposed to be good for those tweed tones.

15. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

If you could find a stomp box to replicate a trebley microphonic tone and then run it through a tweed Deluxe then you might be close. It is the combination that is the magic.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I love how Eddie and the band just stand back and look at Neil when he goes into his solos (20 years ago)

16. Piobaire

Love the way he owned that stage with PJ. I saw him with Crazy Horse at the old Cobo Hall in Detroit in the early 80s. Was not quite old enough to drive so I had to take the bus that goes through the Windsor/Detroit tunnel I remember.

Found this in youtube.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thoughts on that pedal? Also, can anyone catch the fourth open chord he does? I see a D, Am, C and cannot make out what that last open chord is.

17. gomestar

nickel it is. pictures when it arrives shall happen.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I believe it's just the G maj in the double drop D tuning to take advantage of the bass line and open voicing.

19. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Am putting my 2002 Epiphone Dot under the knife in the near future, and am planning on gutting it - new harness, new pickups, probably a Bigsby too.

Wanting to zone in on the Late Cream tone (knowing that he used his SG on Disraeli Gears), Justin Hayward's tone through Moody Blues' albums 3-7, but still able to reach an early-90s crunch (Weezer, JEW, etc) in a stretch.

PB has helped me zone in on PAF-style pickups, and I'm currently debating between a slew:

Seymour Duncan SH-1 (Alnico V, 1-connector)
    Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (particularly for the neck) (Alnico II, 4-connectors)
    Gibson 57 Classic and Classic + (Alnico II, 1-connector)
    StewMac GoldenAge and Golden Age Overwound (Alncio, 4-connectors)
    Bareknuckle The Mule (Alnico IV, 1- or 4- connectors)

If anyone has any personal experience with any of these pickups, I'd appreciate reviews or recs.

I make special mention of the connector abilities because I've been turned onto installing a Jimmy Page-style harness in order to get that out-of-phase pickup option, and most of the wiring specs I've seen require 4 connectors going into the pots (I'm really a novice at reading these things though). I'm not super keen on the pickup-splitting, but would love the in-/out-of-phase option on a push-pull pot.

How does that option work? When running pups out of phase, is that a "per pickup" ability, or only when playing both together - ie is the pup run out of phase with itself, or is one pickup run out of phase with the other?

Ex) Would my pickup selection look like this?

1) Neck, 2) Both, 3) Both (out-of-phase), 4 Bridge

or

1) Neck, 2) Neck (out-of-phase), 3) Both, 4) Both (out-of-phase), 5) Bridge, 6) Bridge (Out-of-phase)

I'd appreciate any help or rec's. I've got the pots selected (CTS 500Ks, and Alpha 500ks for whichever push-pull switching I want to do), etc. But the bigger pieces are presenting me a problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

20. patrickBOOTH

For out of phase the pickups two coils are out of phase with each other, but it can also be done with two different pickups being out of phase. In all honesty, I would just get a harness from Jonesy pre-wired for the Jimmy Page wiring and have a tech by you drop it into your guitar.

Like I pmed you the seymour duncan JB, and 59 are great pickups as well. The best that you are considering is a set of Mules from Bareknuckle, imo. Or a Barenuckle Mule in the Neck, with Riff-Raff, in the bridge.

The thing about all of the pickups minus the Barenuckles are that they are not true PAF replicas as they are wound too perfectly, original PAF's had mismatched coils because they essentially eyeballed it and took guesses. To attempt to get that awesome "sound" and feel of old PAF's you can't ignore that. Those seymour's are great pickups, but they aren't as historically accurate.

1 person likes this.