• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with a Bearfoot Honey Bee into a Vox as a low gain pedal?

Also, anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez AD80 vs the Boss DM2? I want to replace my Carbon Copy with one of those two. Losing the modulation isn't important. Having a quiet bypass and being a relatively quiet pedal is important as well as sound, so, any experience?

In other news, I just purchased a Moog 102 for fun crazy noises and I like it way better than the EHX Frequency Analyzer I use to have. Waiting for an expression pedal to arrive so I can really go nuts. Sadly it adds some noise when bypassed so I need to get a true bypass loop for it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the best low gain boost for the front of a tube amp, especially a vox is the Beano Boost by Analog Man. The only pedal I use, it is amazing.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the best low gain boost for the front of a tube amp, especially a vox is the Beano Boost by Analog Man. The only pedal I use, it is amazing.

You've mentioned that before, I'll check it out when I'm back in NYC in a couple of weeks. I just wish it was as pretty as a honey bee.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I want something really warm and pretty for nice low gain rhythm, nothing too intense sounding.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are some youtube videos of the beano boost. The gearmandude (which might actually be jack black) ones are particularly good. He plays it with a few different setups.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been using my volume and tone knobs a lot more. Basically I turn up the amp really loud so when everything is at 10 I have a lot of gain. From there I just use the volume to get where I want. I like the idea of always having more if I need it and it being right at my fingertips rather than using too many pedals.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are some youtube videos of the beano boost. The gearmandude (which might actually be jack black) ones are particularly good. He plays it with a few different setups.

I'll take a listen, though I always have trouble with him, his recording quality is usually pretty poor.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been using my volume and tone knobs a lot more. Basically I turn up the amp really loud so when everything is at 10 I have a lot of gain. From there I just use the volume to get where I want. I like the idea of always having more if I need it and it being right at my fingertips rather than using too many pedals.

I've been doing this more as well lately, the last guitar I got has very responsive volume and tone controls. I need to get used to having a volume pedal as well as using my volume knob.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of new guitars, I just bought a 1962 jazzmaster body, and I plan to build it up over the summer as a Jazzblaster.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been doing this more as well lately, the last guitar I got has very responsive volume and tone controls. I need to get used to having a volume pedal as well as using my volume knob.

If you redo the wiring properly you can get it to work very well.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know a true bypass loop that runs off of batteries, not of a 9v plug?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What do you mean?

First and foremost the potentiometers and capacitors that are put stock in most guitars are crappy so I replace them with better ones. I like 500k potentiometers, they clear up the sound quite a bit and were used in some of the best sounding guitars in the 50's, newer guitars tend to use 250k, which darken the tone a bit. Also, I replace the silicone capacitors with paper in oil capacitors. Now, I don't know what kind of guitar you play but on Gibson guitars the potentiometers, pickups, and capacitors are wired in such a way that when you lower the volume your treble reduces as well and gets muddy. When you re-wire it they way they were done in the 50's this does not happen. It works more like a volume pedal. Also the Tone knob is actually more usuable and acts as more of a "presence" knob to pull you in and out of the mix. This wiring, in my opinion, as well as many others adds much more clarity and adds much more versatility to your guitars tone.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First and foremost the potentiometers and capacitors that are put stock in most guitars are crappy so I replace them with better ones. I like 500k potentiometers, they clear up the sound quite a bit and were used in some of the best sounding guitars in the 50's, newer guitars tend to use 250k, which darken the tone a bit. Also, I replace the silicone capacitors with paper in oil capacitors. Now, I don't know what kind of guitar you play but on Gibson guitars the potentiometers, pickups, and capacitors are wired in such a way that when you lower the volume your treble reduces as well and gets muddy. When you re-wire it they way they were done in the 50's this does not happen. It works more like a volume pedal. Also the Tone knob is actually more usuable and acts as more of a "presence" knob to pull you in and out of the mix. This wiring, in my opinion, as well as many others adds much more clarity and adds much more versatility to your guitars tone.

THIS is a great post. Great to know. May just have to take my baby in to get rewired... :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads