1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

2. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I am starting classical lessons this week after not being able to shake the nagging voice in the back of my head telling me I am an idiot for giving up on playing. Going to pick up a cheap classical off of Kijiji today.

I've never achieved any appreciable skill when I was in high school rock-star mode, but given that was 10 years ago I hope to approach this with a far more serious approach to practice. I refuse to be that guy who plays riffs from tabs and calls it a day. I've always had more of an appreciation for classical and romantic-era music, and fingerstyle has always appealed to me more. Does anyone here still play classical?

1 person likes this.
  3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I played classical a bit when I was in high school and had more time to devote to it. It is fun and can be satisfying when you get it.

5. stickshift

stickshift Well-Known Member

I grew up on classical music so picking up classical guitar was a pretty digestable transition. The techniques you learn will transfer over and be very useful for electric guitar playing too! Besides, I think seeing a skilled classical guitarist looks more impressive than other guitar styles.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

I hope so - my biggest issue will certainly being consistent with a good practice routine. Just have to make a habit I suppose.

I literally sold all my electric stuff and amp about 2 months ago, go figure. I'm big on instrumental music and I geek out over movie/videogame soundtracks of all things so classical seems like the medium I will most appreciate.

Just got my cheap Yamaha off Kijiji. It has the ugliest of all gloss finishes, high-as-hell action, but is in perfect shape otherwise. Once I can outplay this ugly bastard, I'll deserve a new one. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

nice pB!

8. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Hadnt played this one in a few weeks. Got it out and man handled it a bit. Big hollow bodies really sound great.
    not sure of the actual year on this...sometime in the late 60s is all i know.
    [​IMG]

9. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Love those big Gretsches with actual f holes - beautiful, Derek.

Also love that LPC, pB!

10. patrickBOOTH

Thanks for the lpc love fellas. Non weight relieved and non chambered too. It's a tank and I love it. I thought about getting a 57 reissue but the 68 has a maple top and I wanted it to sound more like a standard. It does and goes beyond. The quality of the custom shop vs. regular is really something.

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

you like it, the tank? It's perhaps the thing I dislike most about my LP, it feels like a painted brick.

12. Sabrosa

Sabrosa Well-Known Member

That Gretsch is beautiful. One of their hollow-bodies is on my list at some point.

Anyone have a go-to place they like for selling guitars and pedals online, other than eBay and Craigslist? It's been awhile since I've sold off any music equipment, though I used Harmony Central a few years back and it seems as though The Gear Page classifieds get good traffic. Looking to unload a few pieces soon.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  13. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

hard to beat craigslist.....but i live in nashville, so the CL is booming with great deals for trades and quick sales. Price it fair, and you should be fine. Ive always avoided ebay because shipping is a pain in the ass.

thanks for the kind words...The black falcon has a damn good tone. Theres a few more gretsch pieces ive been eyeing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

haha. LPs are heavy as fuck.....i wish i could get used to the weight to feel confident playing them. Whenever i play it next to an SG, the SG feels better to me. Obviously just a personal preference.
    (obligatory SG shot)
    [​IMG]

I thought the crescent moons looked a little more interesting than the dots.

15. patrickBOOTH

To me everything else feels like a toy.

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

What about Vintage Guitar Magazine or their website?

17. origenesprit

I traded away my LP with Bigsby - that thing was insanely heavy, but I liked it. I'm not even sure if it was weight relieved (I think it was a 2001 Standard) but it didn't feel like it. Was definitely the heaviest Paul I've ever played.

18. patrickBOOTH

Every Les Paul since the mid 80's is either weight relieved or chambered unless it is a historic model. A lot of people don't know this and when they find out there is a lot of crying over it. The guitars Gibson was making in the 50's were incredibly light so people have made these irrational conclusions that lighter equals sounding better, which really isn't proven. Jimmy Page's Les Paul sounds awesome! Jimmy Page's Les Paul weighed about 7.5 lbs. 7.5 lbs Les Paul's must sound awesome! Well, maybe, but maybe all of these old Les Pauls sound so good because we generally hear them being played by truly great players. FWIW, my new Custom weighs almost 11 lbs.

19. origenesprit

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

You should have heard me own the shit out of Ode to Joy last night, suckers. Ahh, baby steps... lots of old habits dying hard. The posture for classical takes a little while to get used to, and the technique for picking and fretting is a big adjustment. I'm happy with my decision so far, though - I love the sound of the nylon strings even compared to a steel-string acoustic. Much more forgiving for a beginner as well.