1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

2. Piobaire

So this is pretty cool. Tele-style guitars made of reclaimed wood from Detroit buildings. They name the guitar model after the address the wood came from. http://wallacedetroitguitars.com/

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I am highly disappointed that I can buy real estate in Detroit for less than one of those guitars.

What's the point of stealing wood from abandoned buildings if you aren't going to save any money on the final product?

4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

5. Piobaire

I'm actually sort of finding them fugly, as I'm not a fan of the butcher block thing in general and for this use in particular, but I think the concept is pretty cool. I'm also sure they could find nice big slabs of old wood and might honestly be tempted if they did a Strat body version of that.

6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Granted it makes up all of the framing lumber...but they couldn't "reclaim" anything besides pine?

1 person likes this.
  7. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Tried out one of these in store yesterday. Probably going to pick it up. Pretty sweet.

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

My guess is that the resonance of a butcher block piece of wood isn't the same as a solid piece or two piece.

One of the great guitarists from that late 60's and early 70's who still performs is Bill Kirchen. He plays a Tele (like this one http://www.retrofret.com/Products.asp?ProductID=6225) made from old pine from a building in lower Manhattan.

Here he is talking about it. Cool guitar, cool guy, tasty chops. He gets into the specific pine guitar details at 4:00.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. hendrix

seems silly to have a guitar with no truss rod.

10. Piobaire

I am in love with my Blackstar head but you're not going to find any love for them here otherwise.

11. hendrix

it's a bedroom practice amp. I'm obviously not going to be gigging with it.

I also like that it can be used as an audio interface as well as monitoring speakers. Quite a bargain IMO.

12. Piobaire

Mine is even more of a bedroom amp as it's 1 watt. I do not believe mine can be used as an AI and I think that's pretty cool. It just plugs into a USB port on your computer and connects to your DAW?

13. hendrix

yup.

And they're full range speakers as opposed to guitar speakers, with stereo obviously. That's about the price I was looking at for monitoring speakers anyway so I think it's a reasonable deal.

Those 1 watt amps are also pretty sweet. I just cbf with valves for a bedroom amp.

The 1 watt tube amp would probably be louder than the 2x 5watt btw.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Is this their cool little guy for something like $200 at GC? Supposed to give 100watt sound at low volume?

15. Piobaire

That's pretty cool. Yeah, an awesome value for its versatility.

I got it from Amazon for $170. It gives you overdriven tube sound at bedroom volumes. I have the head plugged into a cab with a nice Greenback speaker and it's all I want.

16. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds like a cool little amp. I am going to check it out. They make just one 1 watt amp model right?

17. Piobaire

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  18. hendrix

I think they have a metal version which is the same just with mids scooped out a touch (I always add them back in, love me some mids) and maybe an internal noise gate? Could be wrong though.

Excellent brand. Great stuff at all price points.

19. hendrix

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Fuck this guy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  20. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member