1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

it's not about power or watts but the delivery of the power or watts. somebody, anybody, really should have mentioned this before.

1 person likes this.
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Sounds like I definitely need a compressor then.

Looks like I'm forced to buy yet another pedal . . . right?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I brought home that Fender Blue Jr. 15 watts and it was rattling the fucking windows to get it at the breakup point. Obviously there is some relationship between how many watts an amp is and the volume required to obtain tube breakup. The Fargen Mini-Plex is 12-18 watts. Based on my experience with the Blue Jr that's too loud for me. Based on my cheap ass Kustom 5w head one of the hand wired 5w heads is going to be too loud...

4. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

Rattle the windows! Be a rock star, man!

5. Piobaire

But I'm not. I want rock star sound at old man volumes. That Blackstar is just $250 and I think I'm going to go back and order it tonight. I really want the 5w head, but I'm sure that's too loud, so going to try the 1w.

6. origenesprit

Then get a real amp and an attenuator. Don't get that piece of shit.

7. Piobaire

Pretty sure Gomey has said attenuators suck. If he hasn't quite a few other people have. Been watching youtubes of that Fargen Miniplex and even with that built in power scaling seems you have to get pretty loud to get the sweet sounds.

8. origenesprit

Yeah but once you realize that being quiet sucks you can take the attenuator out and have a fantastic amp. With a 1 watt Blackstar, you're stuck with your crappy amp until you smash it.

9. gomestar

An AC15 vs a Marshall DSL15, vs a Blues Jr., vs a Matchless Spitfire, vs a Princeton. All different amps, all similar watts, all different delivery of power.

why were you trying to get a Blues Jr. to break up? They're loud, punchy, and assertive, yet deliver a glassy clean that makes them superb.

10. gomestar

they do suck, but i'll deal with one on a rough amp. I don't need one for a crappy amp, mostly because i don't have crappy amps.

11. Piobaire

Even that glassy clean was so fucking loud at the slightest touch.

Seems you guys are telling me I can't get that magic sound without rattling the windows? If that's the case it'll stop me spending a lot of money and I'll just deal with what I have.

12. gomestar

you're probably only forcing yourself. the other day, i almost decided to plug in my chorus pedal to the Princeton.

i've played your amp. you don't need anything at all.

13. gomestar

sounds like you need better windows. And stop hitting an F# which always seems to shake everything.

also, understand power delivery more. go back to that store and plan the Princeton. similar watts to a Blues Jr., but hugely different power delivery.

14. Piobaire

Think I need to just go for a nice clean and then a bunch of pedals to make my tone.

15. gomestar

genital-wiggling power tube breakup really is amazing, but it does require volume and space. A superb glassy clean tone with a good bottom cut is an ideal place to aim, and then pedals can take care of the rest.

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Try my amp. Tone King Falcon. A perfect clean tone is exactly what I was aiming for. Pedals layered on top as you like. Ask Gome what he thinks of it.

17. Piobaire

I know what you have is top notch. Thinking if I just go for a super clean tone, and then pedals on top, I might end up with a Matchless.

18. gomestar

god damn it.

POWER DELIVERY

19. Piobaire

Well, it won't get solved tonight. I have a nice cab with a Celestion Greenback. My Kustom Defender 5w actually has a nice clean through it. I'm happy with my Tele so life is good.

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Just go Line6 and headphone it at this point.