1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I really wanted away from my modelling amp so am very glad I bought this little low watt guy and think I can keep my GAS for a Fargen or the like stamped down another 24 months or so. I'm going to funnel GAS into pedals and eventual acquisition of a Fender Strat or Tele.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

modeling amps are great starters since they're inexpensive, lightweight, versatile, can direct line in, manageable at volume, and full of built in effects. basically, every reason why a tube amp is a pain in the ass. but this thread is full of terrible influences (except for the 'don't buy new' mantra, that is very useful)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Piobaire

I have to say the Big Muff Pi was an awesome first pedal choice. Goes from Machinehead by Bush to a very dirty Texas blues sound with just a couple twists of the knobs.

4. gomestar

yeah. we know. a good fuzz is like pedal 101.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Piobaire

Went to the local GC and played an American standard three colour sunburst Strat. I think I want.

Thoughts on HSS setup?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

No. Three singles or nothing.

7. Piobaire

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I feel like if you go anything besides three singles, you are just trying to make up for buying the wrong guitar (at least that is the only reason I have thought about putting different pickups in my strat)

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Similar to the reason people buy Tele's for the bridge pickup, super-cool-stratness is by nature of that single coil bridge.

I have a friend and former bandmate that swears by his HSS AmDlx Strat. It's nice, but can't funk out the same way mine can (SSS)

10. gomestar

this. the way those 3 pups hit is why a Strat is awesome.

don't buy new, but since you will, American Vintage series at the very least.

edit: i bought an AV for like $1300 new in like 2005 (yeah, i know, new). what's with these $3K prices from the Fender website?? Fuck that.

11. Piobaire

Hey, you know I was going to buy that vintage MIJ it just wasn't there...gave me a great story though.

12. gomestar

waiting out for a good MIJ example is worth it. use guitar center to lessen the "risk" and to verify production dates. my MIJ tele is a fucking stud next to my Custom Shop tele.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Piob, my local ma/pa store has two or three sweet MIJ offerings. Proxy if you want it.

14. gomestar

PM me some deets. I'm not in the market, thought I'm never really out.

1 person likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Thanks El but I was just texting Gomey yesterday I need to sit on my GAS for a bit.

16. ac_slater

ac_slater Well-Known Member

I've played a lot of different guitars and pickup configs. So I feel like I can comment.

Personally I like HSS on a strat or super strat style guitar. But let me emphasize that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking the H position is gonna sound like a Les Paul or similar. You have to keep in mind that you're still playing on a Fender scale, body woods, bridge, and shape. It's not gonna sound close to a Les Paul or whatever Gibson sound you might have in your head. As a matter of fact, A Gretsch Duo Jet with powertrons probably sounds closer to a Les Paul than any Fender with a humbucker.

With that said, if you like how a humbucker in the bridge position of a strat, it's a great setup. Supremely versatile. I've never been a fan of neck humbuckers unless they're very low output.

A Japanese guitar from the right factory can go toe to toe with any US made guitar. Look no further than the Ibanez J Custom line or high end Gretsch stuff. Puts half the USA guitars I've played to SHAME.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  17. patrickBOOTH

As long as you aren't playing madison square garden in a black metal band I don't see why noise should be an issue.

Things people forget about humbuckers is that they don't just simply cancel noise, they always cancel out a lot of frequencies along with the noise. The reason single coils sound the way they do is because of the presence of these frequencies. This is also the reason why the late fifties Les Pauls sounded so damn good. They didn't have a lot of quality control with the windings. What these guitars were left with are two coils that are not perfectly wound the same amount of times and patterns. This means these frequencies slip through, but still reduce overall noise. This is why the boutique winders today take this to extremes where you are able to get some P-90 sounding tones from pickups with lower noise, which is essentially what the old Les Pauls sound like.

18. gomestar

i think an HSS for Piob would be whack mostly because of his Les Paul. sure, it won't sound exactly the same, but that bridge single is a huge part of what makes a classic strat a strat.

so that is my lesson. three singles and a nitro finish.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Fuck you, Booth. How about that?

20. patrickBOOTH

Completely fair and reasonable statement.

1 person likes this.