1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ac_slater

ac_slater Well-Known Member

Personally I love the Timmy but hate the DLS. I originally bought a DLS hoping it would turn my Tophat combo into a JCM800 but it sounded very fake to me. It does something to the tone that people either love or hate. Coming from a guy who has played a lot of real 800's, the DLS to me just sounded very processed. I tend to feel this way about all "turn your amp into this other amp" pedals. There's really nothing like the real thing.

The Timmy is probably my favorite overdrive I've played. I've used it on maybe 20-30 different amps and have yet to find an amp I didn't like it on. When I go on any kind of tour where I need a small scaled down pedal board, the Timmy is the FIRST pedal that goes on there. If you want to know what it sounds like, it's literally just your amp + more.

I do like the KOT but myself and a lot of others will tell you that they only use one side. It's a lot like the Tim pedal. The KOT already has so much drive available with just one side that you don't need the extra side hardly ever. I used a Prince of Tone for a while recently and I found I was very happy with it.

I can only speak from personal experience. Here's what I run now when I gig:

Small gigs: 1st stage: Timmy set for moderate gain. 2nd and 3rd stage: Zvex Super Duper 2in1 set for a very slight boost on each side.

Big gigs/tours: 1st Stage: ZVex 2in1 set very low. 2nd stage: Timmy set about 1/3 of the way. 3rd stage: JHS Morning Glory. I also have a JHS 808 for something different. (This setup is total overkill and mostly a headache.)

This was my board before I got a Timmy. Scaled down a lot now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have a 4 watt amp now, and even that is way to loud to drive to saturation in a NYC apartment.

3. patrickBOOTH

You're such a Frusciante fucker.

4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

it's not like i have much of a choice in an apartment

5. patrickBOOTH

Fargen.

1 person likes this.
  6. gomestar

you've seen the full arsenal available to me. In due time on the Fargen.

also, wouldn't mind a Spitfire either

7. ac_slater

Don't get a Spitfire. It's loud as shit.

And when I say loud as shit I mean I took it to a 300 person gig and could only get it up to 5 on the dial, unmiced.

8. gomestar

i should elaborate. I mean I would kindly suggest to my father that I'd like one, but he should hang on to it at the studio. this way he buys it, loves it, then i can crank it on my bi-annual trip up there.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the 'Master' on those, and for the 15 watt or bigger? I've got the 15 watt head, sounds alright but nothing fantastic, though it can get plenty loud even through a 8" speaker. While talking tubes, on another forum I've been reading about Tweaker users putting old Soviet 6P3S? 70's tubes and getting good results, might give that a go.

10. ac_slater

Yeah I have the 15 watt combo. The Master really doesn't help much if you want to get optimal tone out of it. That amp just wants to be cranked. Similar to most Vox style amps I've played, all the Master really does is muffle the amp.

11. CoffeeDudeGuy

CoffeeDudeGuy Well-Known Member

What do you normally set your Master at? I find it sounds nicer around 1 o' clock, but that starts to become too loud at home.

12. ac_slater

Yeah it seems like right over noon is the sweet spot. Sometimes 2 o'clock depending on the tone you want.

Honestly when I'm at home I play my Axe-fx 90% of the time. Sounds better than any non-cranked amp. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you aren't gonna get much use out of anything over 5 watts.

13. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

This.
    This is the only reason why I never bothered picking up an electric guitar. With an acoustic electric guitar, the life is so much simpler.

At any rate, nice board![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  14. gomestar

i wouldn't mind going for an old Martin one day.

i actually prefer learning guitar on an acoustic since I think it's easier to hear the harmonics.

15. patrickBOOTH

I actually prefer Gibson acoustics to Martins. J-200 or bust. A friend has a beautiful Hummingbird.

16. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Been playing for more than 15 years and have gone thru many acoustic guitars but in the end, I stuck with Taylor 614CE. It was my favourite guitar for live performances (along with my Ultrasound DS4). I am glad to play week in and week out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  17. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Everyone's ears are different but for some reason Gibsons sounded just dead or like a thud to me while Martins in general were great. Then I found Collings that kicked @ss.

18. patrickBOOTH

I guess it is preference like you said. I think they have a better bass response than Martins. Just how I like my acoustics to sound.

19. gomestar

my father has an old Taylor 810, but for some reason the guitar always feels like it's fighting me. Tough guitar to play.

20. patrickBOOTH

Never liked Taylors, personally.