• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Joffrey, he's a fun character. I also like that (like midieval times) he's not a big fan of the monarch being beholden to the whims of the nobility. If they're his subjects, why does he need their love/permission to run his kingdom as he sees fit. A wannabe absolute monarch. Go Joffrey!

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
It was the same sword Ned used to behead the guy in the first episode.

Those Northmen go big.

good catch, i checked the first n 9th episodes and it was same sword, then again maybe it said this in the novels...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
good catch, i checked the first n 9th episodes and it was same sword, then again maybe it said this in the novels...

It's important for a variety of reasons. Contrasts Ned (executes criminals himself with his family sword) with Joffrey's methods. In the book Ned killed Sansa's direwolf with the sword as well, but they had him use a knife in the show.

The sword also comes up later on, obviously no idea if the show will stress it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Family sword, handed down from father to son for generations. That and Valeryan steal would be the equivalent of a Vorpal Sword in D&Dland I guess.

I don't know what this means, but I assume it is nerdy as hell.
laugh.gif

It was Ned's sword which of course he took with him when traveling south. It is not an executioner's sword it is his (fighting) sword that has been in his family for ages. After Ned's death it should be inherited by Rob. Letting Ned be killed by his own sword and having it carried by the axman is an insult in itself. And I don't think I'm spoiling much when I say it's not the end of that particular insult.

3cyr3

Reaction score
This is pretty much what i'm getting at. I haven't read the books, but they didn't really explain it very well in the series, so was speculating on whether on not it will play a part in the future.

Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif

It was Ned's sword which of course he took with him when traveling south. It is not an executioner's sword it is his (fighting) sword that has been in his family for ages. After Ned's death it should be inherited by Rob. Letting Ned be killed by his own sword and having it carried by the axman is an insult in itself. And I don't think I'm spoiling much when I say it's not the end of that particular insult.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
laugh.gif

Heh, true. And BTW Vorpal Sword was the most powerful sword in the original Dungeons and Dragons game

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is not a spoiler:

I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing.

Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had skipped a few pages and missed that everyone was clamoring for no book spoilers. My apology for posting a book spoiler earlier.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not a spoiler:

I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing.

Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.

*Mormont.

Other than that, everything you wrote is correct.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is not a spoiler: I always got the feeling that Valyrian steel wasn't really "magical" in the usual sense of magic swords. It's just really high quality steel: very light (which makes that huge two hander usable), very sharp and stays that way. It doesn't make the user any more skilled or powerful, but the owners are almost always great knights and lords so they're usually the best swordsmen anyway. The Valyrians used magic to make it, but that's a bit of a different thing. Lord Marmot (leader of the Night's Watch) giving Jon his Valyrian sword was a huge deal for that reason; it was his family sword and he's handing it to a bastard and new member. Reinforces that "there's something special in store for you, boy" message.
Yeah I'm kinda butthurt that Jon got Jorah's sword since Jorah is more and more becoming my favorite character in this. Valyrian steel isn't 'magical', but apparently there are magical swords in this setting according to Martin in the the Making of GOT on HBO IIRC.
I had skipped a few pages and missed that everyone was clamoring for no book spoilers. My apology for posting a book spoiler earlier.
FWIW, I don't think you spoiled anything w/ that

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
FWIW, I don't think you spoiled anything w/ that
Neither did I, which is why I responded, but the peoples' have spokenses.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's your least favorite story lines in the show? Mine so far has been the Targaryan/Dothraky wilderness adventure.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
What's your least favorite story lines in the show? Mine so far has been the Targaryan/Dothraky wilderness adventure.

I didn't like much of Catelyn's story....or maybe I did and I just don't like *her* heh. I didn't blame Jaime for going after Ned at all after Cat grabbed Tyrion with no evidence. These Starks are stupid, stupid, stupid!

I thought the Targ/Doth story was great, but mainly due to Jorah, very deep, three dimensional character. I hope he's fleshed out in the future more.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't care much for Catelyn but as her story gets tangled up with Tyrion's, I can't comlplain too much.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not alone in really like Jorah. I get the impression that there is a lot going on in his head that we are not privy to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads