1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Reynard369

Reynard369 Well-Known Member

This thread is getting way too spoilery. Is this a thread about the TV show or a thread about the books?

(As we'll recall, I fought several extended and ultimately doomed-from-the-start battles along these lines in the True Blood thread last year, lol)

Donchu you go comparin' True Blood to Game of Thrones. Nuh uh!

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm out of here - this threak is wayyyy too serious. Even the most inept troll, like me, can elicit responses. That being said, I do look forward to watching it. But you guys . . . sheesh.
    Yeah thread has been taken over by people geeking over the show and the books. I'm thoroughly enjoying the show and I'm glad I haven't read the books so I don't have to over think it. Will continue to read parts of the thread for the occcasional interesting tidbit.

3. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

(As we'll recall, I fought several extended and ultimately doomed-from-the-start battles along these lines in the True Blood thread last year, lol)
    Ahem...Who do you think got us the spoiler button?

5. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

Don't those of you who are following along in the books as you watch the series get bored?

I remember trying to read Patrick Suskind's Das Parfum after seeing the movie adaptation and giving up after 50 pages because everything was exactly the same; no surprises left.

6. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

As a rule I always try to read the book first, if I'm going to have the story spoiled I'd rather have the book spoil it. I didn't know this existed until the show came out. As far as it getting boring doing both, nah, it's kind of interesting to see how it's different than what I imagined from reading, but generally I don't do that. Oh yeah don't click spoiler [​IMG] This show is pretty cool, way better than the other fantasy out there. Although I used to love Terry Brooks and David Eddings when I was a kid

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Don't those of you who are following along in the books as you watch the series get bored? I remember trying to read Patrick Suskind's Das Parfum after seeing the movie adaptation and giving up after 50 pages because everything was exactly the same; no surprises left.
    I really don't see how 1000 pages of pollitical/tactical plot twists and titties could sustain my interest but then the only fantasy I like is punk-rock like Elric. Seeing the gore, sex and stupid shenanigans though makes it really fun, I love that show.

8. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Don't those of you who are following along in the books as you watch the series get bored?

I remember trying to read Patrick Suskind's Das Parfum after seeing the movie adaptation and giving up after 50 pages because everything was exactly the same; no surprises left.

I remember reading Lolita after watching it and I thought of what a great job Kubrick did. It let you see all the stuff that was going inside the people's heads and then explicitly pointed out certain things that you might have missed in the movie, whereas some parts were more ambiguous.

Lots of fun

9. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I really don't see how 1000 pages of pollitical/tactical plot twists and titties could sustain my interest but then the only fantasy I like is punk-rock like Elric. Seeing the gore, sex and stupid shenanigans though makes it really fun, I love that show.
    To each his own. Political plot twists are what made the Dune series my most favorite books ever. Of course I'd get into this one heh

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I remember reading Lolita after watching it and I thought of what a great job Kubrick did. It let you see all the stuff that was going inside the people's heads and then explicitly pointed out certain things that you might have missed in the movie, whereas some parts were more ambiguous.

Lots of fun

I think that most books that are adaptable in movie form are better as movie, this obviously doesn't apply to my mother by Bataille (honorably butchered by HonorÃ[​IMG]) or similar works.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

To each his own. Political plot twists are what made the Dune series my most favorite books ever. Of course I'd get into this one heh

They're not political maneuvers though but characterization via actions. It just looks smarter to define them as political plotting.

12. indesertum

Lolita was the first time I thought that neither book or movie was better, but that different media portrayed the same story from different angles.

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Lolita was the first time I thought that neither book or movie was better, but that different media portrayed the same story from different angles.

The writing quality was phenomenal in Lolita, I really enjoyed his use of language. I had to laugh at the afterward by Nabokov; he said something like "If only my English was as good as my Russian, I really could have written something incredible."

14. indesertum

a little douchey like joyce, but whatever. geniuses should be allowed a little douche leeway

15. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

the only fantasy I like is punk-rock like Elric.

Fuuma have you ever read any China Mielville?

16. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Love me some. Reminds me of being young. Did you ever read the one with Nazi's?

17. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't been reading the right trilogies.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Damn, poor Ned. I extra-extra can't wait for Joffrey to get iced.

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

20. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I think they missed out not showing the aftermath of the execution. Sansa screaming while her father's head tumbled down would have been a damn powerful scene.

That was a huge fucking sword. Jesus.