1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

At least they created a way for him to be north of the Wall when Mance attacks because the original way just won't work anymore. That said, someone is going to need a fleet of helicopters to enter that battle.

2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

The destruction of Cat's character was the most angering part of the entire show changes. She and Robb's dialog was changed in season 2 - reversed in fact. She wanted to stay with him to be at his War Councils and he wanted her to go back to be with the boys. In the show they flipped the script. And, then, of course, she released Jaime without knowing the boys were "dead." It eliminated her motivation and made her a worthless figure. Plus, it got rid of my favorite chapter in the book when she is eating at Riverrun with Brienne and is totally broken by the Raven's news.

3. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) it's about time Littlefinger stepped up to fill the creepy sociopath void now that Joffery's gone,
    2) Stannis needs to get his shit together. I'm tired of watching him talk about the need to act, not be a page in someone else's history book, etc., then just pace around the Painted Table like a mopey dumbass.

4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

All of the scenes were melodramatic to the point of verging on soap opera. Even the scene with Tyrion and Podrick was sappy.

Tywin, however, made the episode worth watching and worth watching again.

1 person likes this.
  5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

On the rape thing, the AV club has a review where they posit that there *might* be textual evidence for Jaime being a rapist.

Basically, the story is told through Jaime's eyes and he reports to the reader that her protestations were only along the lines of "no, the septons are nearby" and later "we have to be more careful now that father is in town"...when really maybe she protested harder. Of note, it is the last time that they have sex and their relationship rapidly deteriorates after that event (just as it already has in the show).
    I'm not sure I buy it--I don't think GRRM would bother to misrepresent that, and it destroys his efforts towards redemption.

I also saw that the director of that episode (not Benioff or Weiss) didn't think think it was really rape and that she came around in the end (sure didn't look that way)...and the whole turning consentual sex into obvious rape and then claiming its not really rape thing has my feminist facebook friends fairly upset.
    I suppose we will know the real answer next week--if Cersei simply behaves like she had a regrettable sexual encounter, we will know that the director is just an idiot.

1 person likes this.
  6. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Yeah, my anti skull-splitting facebook friends have been pretty pissed for a while now.

7. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

IME, one of the things that happens before you stop loving someone is that you start to lose respect for them. I think that's what they were trying to show there. Odd way to do it though.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think it raises the question, "If your sister has had three children by you can it ever really be 'rape'?"

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

I think the director just botched the way the scene was supposed to be portrayed (i.e. closer to the book).

I really wish i could filter my social media by Game of Thrones + Rape. Fight your fight or whatever but after a while you're just belaboring the point and being a hashtag activist.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

No MEANS NO!!!

11. eduardo14

eduardo14 Well-Known Member

There should be a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread..

Every khaleesi scene is great..reminded me of the opening scene in TROY

Wish they would just show her the whole show

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

There is one, but for some reason people prefer littering this thread with .

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

There is a book thread which is obviously full-spoiler (at least until he writes another one...then maybe people will say spoiler through chapter XX for a little bit)...

But I don't think we can sustain two separate threads about the show...

14. eduardo14

eduardo14 Well-Known Member

It's ok I have the books..but when I first read through this I was like wow if u watch the show only stay out of this thread

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Yes means no. Maybe means no. No means what?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  16. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

What about Theon getting raped then castrated in the last season? :/

17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

He consented by getting an erection with those two ladies.

18. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Nitpick perhaps, but I thought Theon had his dick cut off not his balls.

19. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Yeah, what is the word for that?

Deboned?

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Who is Theon? Do you guys mean Reek?

5 people like this.