1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Piobaire, Dec 5, 2010.

1. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, like scurvy said, the dude gets to read the manuscripts as they are written, years ahead of everyone else, so it's basically his dream.

2. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

I saw him at a panel and he talked about this very example. Basically he just uses the hell out of search function on Word whenever he needs to remember eye colors.

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I were that into the story...I don't know if I would want to.

On one hand, it would be the sickest form of inside knowledge (and you'd have it years in advance).

On the other hand, you would read things that get changed. All of the sudden you would have things in your mind that are penned by GRRM, but are not actually cannon...Especially depending on how planned out he really has the book. Imagine reading R+L=J and then having GRRM decide he doesn't actually like that outcome (and was just pushed into it by all the fans thinking it) and rewriting something else. It would be like if you read the first book with Ned losing his head and then GRRM decides that he should stick around for a few more books and changes the ending.
    As a superfan, you might not want to know those sorts of messy details...you'd want the "one true story" as opposed to a bunch of hypotheticals that were explored during the writing.

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Naw a super fan would kill to have not just advance knowledge, but also input into the story itself. Actually he probably did kill someone to get this

5. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure he loves getting to see the sausage made. I mean, hell, at that point, just having the author of your most favoritest books of all eternity calling you up for input is probably enough to make this guy die happy.

I may sound somewhat sarcastic here, but I actually think it's pretty cool that GRRM 1) realizes he has some seriously entangled stories here and makes a serious effort to keep them straight (*cough* *cough* Lost) and 2) is willing to let a fan help him on it.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

he is a moron. that is called high level consulting for a multi million (billion?) dollar empire and he is being fucking used if he is not being paid. what a nerd idiot. yeesh.

interesting. i love how she is being played in the show. since here first scenes with renly.

7. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

It's GRRM who sent him a few chapters the first time as a gift- I think he then started being GRRM's personal fact checker. I'd agree if he were doing it for the publisher, but for the author, it's kind of a favor for a favor.

There was also an issue one time about a mare becoming a stallion or vice versa. He's read each book over a dozen times, so he far surpasses me in terms of attention to detail.

She's been really good and very well fleshed out on the show. In the books she's a fourth level character at best with no Tyrell getting too much play, but the QoT getting some key scene stealing work and Mace Tyrell getting into a lot of scenes, but not a ton of action. She might be very political behind the scenes, but if so it's at her grandmother's control, because she's about twice the age of the book character on the show.

1 person likes this.
  8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

She is one of the best things on the show.

lefty

9. in stitches

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Proof of this? Blizzard has a historian on staff dedicated to this sort of thing to keep all the Lore straight in games.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Ned only married Catherine because his older brother was killed by Aerys. He takes his duties very seriously. And although he had something going on with Ashara Dayne, I really doubt Jon is his son...or a bastard at all.

It makes more sense that Jon is his nephew: Lyanna and Rhygar's son. Rhygar was a Targaryen and they believed and practiced in having multiple wives so I bet they were married in secret. Ned would have had to keep that a secret from his good friend Robert since
    • Robert hated Targaryens with a passion
    • Lyanna was the love of his life

He would have publicly killed baby Jon

Incest was only normal for Targaryens, not anyone else

1 person likes this.
  13. worakl

worakl Well-Known Member

Peter Drunklage!

4 people like this.
  14. scurvyfreedman

15. scurvyfreedman

I'm almost positive that Ashara Dayne was in love with Brandon Stark. Although Ned shared a dance with her at the Tourney at Harrenhal, it was only after Brandon spoke to her. Ned was the plain brother. Brandon was the good looking, more charismatic brother. He was the wild wolf. Ned was the quiet wolf.

Plus if the story of Ashara having a stillborn daughter is true, my suspicion is that it would be Brandon's, not Ned's. Brandon was already cheating on Catelyn before their wedding, whereas Ned was not passionate.

16. Rumpelstiltskin

Yeah

Ramsay and Reek were on the run. Ramsay dressed Reek in his clothes and they killed "Ramsay" and captured "Reek". The real Ramsay needed a new Reek and that's where weak minded Theon came in.

17. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  18. Rumpelstiltskin

You can't cheat if you aren't married.

So what do you think about Ned and Wylla?

19. scurvyfreedman

Jon Snow was born after Robb Stark. Robb was conceived on the Catelyn's and Ned's wedding night before he left for battle.

Wylla was milk mother (wet-nurse) to both Robb and Ned Dayne. I don't think Ned would have known her early enough in the war to have a child with her and as I said, I don't think Ned would have violated his marriage vows, especially so early in the marriage.

I believe in R+L=J.

I also believe the "Promise me Ned" vow he took was what caused him to deceive his wife and make her believe, along with everyone else, that he had fathered a bastard conceived after his wedding. The evidence is circumstantial, but somewhat detailed and sprinkled throughout.

Lyanna was in a bed of blood when Ned found her. That's been used other times to describe the birthing bed. Arya is described to look like Lyanna. Jon is described to look like Arya.

The other Stark children share more features with Catelyn. Targaryen traits are also recessive traits in the Westrosi genetics, so Starks would dominate them. No different than Barratheon's all have black hair, Targaryen's who marry the other Paramount families lose their Targaryen traits. Dornish may be the only more recessive group. So Jon Snow looks like a Stark, not a Targaryen.

Targaryens not only practiced incest, but also polygamy. I think Lyanna married Rhaegar. I think the affair started when Lyanna fought as the Knight of the Laughing Tree and Rhaegar found out and fell in love with her. See the story that Jojen and Meera told Bran before they got to the Wall. Lyanna was a great rider and practiced with swords and lances instead of lady activities. The Knight was small and had mismatched armor- stolen by Benjen, I believe. Benjen went to the Wall in the shame in what part he played in his sister running away with Rhaegar.

Jon is the Prince Who Was Promised; The Song of Ice and Fire; Azor Ahai reborn.

He will be born again (A Dragon awakened from stone) when his frozen body is burned by Melisandre in a pyre at the Wall. She has been looking for King's blood to awaken the dragon from the stone. Rhaegar's son has King's blood.

Melisandre keeps looking into her flames asking to see Azor Ahai and keeps seeing nothing but Jon Snow, because it's not Stannis, it's Jon she's asking to see.

20. in stitches