1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

(Official?) Fit Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Edgar Allan Pwn, Apr 11, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Baverso, my quick estimation is that the waist is too big on the jacket, which is an easy fix. As mentioned above the sleeves are too long. Not sure if you wanted an overall critique but the shirt collar appears to be 1/2" too large, in addition a spread collar would be better suited to this application. Also, tighten the tie knot, it's very loosely tied.

2. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  3. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

thank you drstrange, and suit looks great from what i see, being OTR.

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Hey:

I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know whether this fits OK for a beater jacket. It actually looks pretty sleek from the side; from the front, I seem to look about 20 lbs heavier in the pics :hide: :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you, iGents.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. lateralex

lateralex Well-Known Member

Would love some opinions on the fit here. I think this is my best fitting sportcoat, and would like to use these measurements for similar purchases...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/rn0iV/all :cheers:

6. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

It's gonna grow a bit when it's ironed out. Bear that in mind. Particularly if it's not lined or canvassed (which appears to be the case).

7. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I don't know if this thread it's still "live" but, anyway, I'll post here my fit question.
    I just bought me a Burberry Sport Coat on sale. I found lately that it must be a suit jacket, if I'm correct, as the label indicates the drop (7).
    So, the question is about general front fit (if you can tell from these poor pictures) and about using it, as I intend, as a sport coat. I would say so as I haven't seen anyone with a suit like that in this town though I plan on changin those ugly black buttons.
    Veredict ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

... moved to ask a question...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I recommend posting your critique questions here.

10. pcsk77

pcsk77 New Member

Hi, I have a question about the fit of my pants.

How long should the rise be? If I have my pants coming up to about an inch below my belly button, is that about right for a modern cut pants?

I have attached a photo to illustrate how far the pants is coming up.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

[​IMG]

11. Boulder

Boulder New Member

Yet another fit critique request:

This is my second shirt from ModernTailor, and although I am quite pleased with the fit, I have some issues with it that Id like to get straigthened out before ordering more shirts.
    My problem regarding shirts has always been my freakishly long arms, so when I learned about the possibility of afforable MTM online I instantly gave it a go. I will not bother you with that initial attempt as it did not really pan out that well.

However after making adjustments to that set of measurements I ended up with this, my best fitting shirt ever. Please note that all my other shirts fit horribly, so that is not really as powerful a statment as it might seem at first.

My biggest problem with this one is the folds that form as a line between my armpit and my neck. They where visible on the previous shirt as well, and through searching this forum I found that it might be related to my stooping posture and sloping shoulders. Therefore this shirt is acctually made with the sloping shoulders pattern that MT offers, but it is no better than the previous one in this regard.

Any pointers on how to minimize this in the future is greatly appriciated! And of course, any other critique on the fit is welcomed.

PS: Im aware that this shirt might not pass as "classic" menswear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

you have very sloping shoulders also your shoulders point forward. they did a pretty good job for an online shirt hips are too tight. by 1"-2" shirt is getting cught on your hips. if you plan to wear untucked you should give up some of the waist taper sleeves look too narrow!

1 person likes this.
  13. Boulder

Boulder New Member

Thank you for the feedbak Shirtmaven!

I think you are right about my shoulders being pointed forwards, if I press them back the folds/winkles disappear. I will address this thoroughly in my work-outs from now on, as I believe it can be corrected. Not so much with the sloping, but it is what it is. Any measurements that can be changed to lessen the effect?

I also agree on the hip measurement, I will try to add some inches here on my next order, and yes the sleeves are a bit narrow if I bend my arm.

14. DarkDestiny

DarkDestiny Well-Known Member

Those two particular defects are in the way the shirt is constructed rather than the measurements of the shirt. Think in angles rather than the measurements. IModerntailor has the option to select sloping shoulders during shirt construction to address it. You may want to bring to their attention the forward pitched shoulders. They may or may not have anything for that.

15. FashionAssass

FashionAssass New Member

From a fit perspective how does the shirt feel when u wear it. Do your movements feel retricted? What is the material like? From my experience quality and workmanship count as much as style & fit..

16. oldsmobile98

oldsmobile98 Active Member

Just got a DB flannel chalkstripe suit and DB blue linen jacket from SuitSupply. They suggested a 40, but the jacket lengths were too short, so I ended up going with a 40L in both. I'm fairly sure I shouldn't size up to a 42L, but let me know what you think. If I decide to keep these, I'll obviously shorten the sleeves on both (and open up the vents on the blue one). Any other alterations?

(sorry about the mediocre pics & low camera angle)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. oldsmobile98

oldsmobile98 Active Member