1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

It looks like RKD has it setup to sit on it's side with a lens attached. What he has rigged up is pretty much what my small canvas Domke bag would do with about the same amount of protection. From the looks of it you could line the bottom with more foam if you were worrying about dropping it. I'm one that thinks dropping a camera in anything but a Pelikan hard case is something you don't want to do padding or not.

yeah he is exactly right^

you can always put more foam and padding but mine is fine the way it is. the bag makes a great camera bag and looks awesome

2. chiamdream

chiamdream Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide between the Pullman (243) and Large Carryon (242). They appear to be pretty much the same size. The only difference I can see is that the Carryon has a flap that covers the outside a la the briefcases, which doesn't seem worth an extra $60. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

3. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide between the Pullman (243) and Large Carryon (242). They appear to be pretty much the same size. The only difference I can see is that the Carryon has a flap that covers the outside a la the briefcases, which doesn't seem worth an extra $60. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

i have the pullman and i love it. like you i was considering the two and opted for the pullman solely because i didn't want to deal with the flap every time i needed to get in the bag. i don't think you can go wrong with either, though. they're both awesome.

4. zazaza

zazaza Well-Known Member

this is a great "why didn't i think of that!" idea.
    RKD, where did you get your insert?

yeah he is exactly right^

you can always put more foam and padding but mine is fine the way it is. the bag makes a great camera bag and looks awesome

5. randomkoreandude

you can get foam at any art supplies store like michaels etc.

or you can get inserts at any camera store.

i got mine from a canon camera bag and just took the inserts out and put it into the filson

6. pekklemon

pekklemon Well-Known Member

just got my filson small field bag in tan for my camera!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what camera insert did you use rkd?

7. randomkoreandude

its from the canon rebel bag. all the inserts are foam and velcro. so i just pulled them all out and attached them by the velcro into a bucket shape

8. vce56

vce56 Member

Which filson bag do you recommend for a junior doctor. I was looking at the saddle briefcase bag. I've never used a shoulder strap style bag before, having always used backpacks. Are shoulder straps comfortable? Is the weight of the bag distributed well across the body? and is it easy to run with the a shoulder strap bag? Thanks. I will need to carry a laptop, one large textbook. a stethoscope, and maybe a filson guide vest and mackinaw cap. is the saddle briefcase bag too large. or would the passage medium dispatch bag be better? http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2 http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=2 http://www.cranes-country-store.com/...cat=286&page=1 What do you guys think of the saddle bags compared with the 257? Thanks

9. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I own a 257 and the saddlebag briefcase. The saddlebag is now my everyday briefcase. The design is much more suited to today's technology advanced business person. As far as organization is concerned it's a well thought out bag. Laptop sits in it's own compartment. The other compartment has dividers in it to keep things organized. Its possible you could use this compartment for a change[​IMG] of clothes or two. It's got avmagazine compartment on the back and the two flapped pockets hold all the small stuff and keeps it organized as well.

Mine's loaded up and weighs over twenty pounds. The shoulder strap does come in handy and is relatively comfortable. I would not run with it though. Sounds like it would be a bad deal.

With all of this said keep in mind the 257 is still a great bag. I switched because I carry entirely too much gadgetry and paperwork for my own good.

10. Racove

Racove Well-Known Member

i see your point about the saddleback bag. too bad the passage line is ugly

11. vce56

vce56 Member

Thanks for the replies. Is there much "give" in the fabric in the 257, more give than the saddle briefcase? Is the saddle briefcase a lot more rigid?

Thanks

12. Crane's

i see your point about the saddleback bag. too bad the passage line is ugly

They grow on you when you're around them in person. Pics don't do the bag any good at all.

Thanks for the replies. Is there much "give" in the fabric in the 257, more give than the saddle briefcase? Is the saddle briefcase a lot more rigid?

Thanks

22 ounce waxed twill doesn't stretch if that's what you mean and neither does 16 ounce nylon twill. The passage line is definitely more rigid.

13. jm333

jm333 New Member

Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

Just got a 256 in brown for Christmas. Loving it except I want to add handgrip. Just called Filson customer service and they quoted me $37.50 ($10 for part, $20 for labor, $7.50 for return shipping).

Did you really get all this for $20?

14. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

15. Crane's

Just got a 256 in brown for Christmas. Loving it except I want to add handgrip. Just called Filson customer service and they quoted me $37.50 ($10 for part, $20 for labor, $7.50 for return shipping).

Did you really get all this for $20?

That's what we charge. In fact we started ordering 256s with it already installed along with the normal model.

http://outlandusa.com has 20% off on all Filson items and free shipping until January 4

We pretty much do that all the time.

16. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

We pretty much do that all the time.

My bad.

17. Crane's

My bad.

LOL! Not really. Take a look at Filson's site. Even THEY are having a 20% off sale. Gee I wonder where they got that idea from?

18. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

My bad.
    Not at all. While Crane's does indeed have great deals, it's always nice to hear about other deals out there. Keep em coming!

19. warrengharding

warrengharding Well-Known Member

I am moving somewhere where the temperature is subzero (down to -10 F today after windchill). Would the single or double Mackinaw work for this? Any other filson products that would work at these temps?

20. Crane's

The double mac is a good choice for subzero temps. Another good choice is the field coat or outfitter coat with a mac wool jacket liner. The advantage with this setup is you have a solid wind/water barrier over a mac wool coat. You can add lighter liners for days that aren't as obnoxious. Think of it as a 3 season setup versus a hard Winter setup.

Don't forget that no matter how warm the coat is if you don't protect your head hands and feet you'll still be cold and miserable.