• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

US Grant

Reaction score

Crane's Country Store, which is an affiliate, may have it: http://www.cranes-country-store.com

Not everything is online.  You need to call them, mention the referral from Styleforum, and ask.

I'd second Crane's, have quite a few things from them. Of note, they may not have it in stock and Filson has to send it to them first. Having said that, as far as I know, no one beats their prices. Just gotta call. They are true blue friendly.

Last edited:

dgold

Reaction score
The SF (Seattle Fit) stuff is so confusing, since there's identical products with the Seattle Fit and the normal (Alaskan Fit, I think they call it), but nowhere on the garment does it say which one you're looking at. That stuff is so new that there isn't much of that line yet at the outlet, but there's always something great there. I didn't get anything this time (it was more of a a Christmas research visit for my wife), but last time I got two $400+ coats for $99 each (both size S). As for the for the prototype, I don't remember much about it other than it was a green coat; I was looking at lots of stuff. One disappointing thing I encountered worth noting is one of the thinner new coats had a really flimsy plastic zipper, a far cry from the usual heavy zippers Filson uses. Hopefully they'll abandon that direction.

Seattle fit items have a red hang loop on the collar.

danilo

Reaction score
Is Crane's also the best place to pick up a medium duffel? I'd really like the blue one but olive would be ok.

US Grant

Reaction score
For sure, Crane's is extremely helpful. They are liable to have that in stock but again if they don't, they'll get it for you. No one beats their prices near as I can tell. The trade off is you might have to wait a little bit to get it if Filson has to send it to them first. A strange concept in this day and age of faster fastest but I for one appreciate Crane's customer service and ethos. You are supporting folks that have been doing what they've been doing before everyone 'discovered' Filson and keep with it. Dave is hilarious as well.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hard pressed to decide whether I should get the Filson Mackinaw seattle fit in the Red/Black plaid (certainly the more traditional wool coat) or the charcoal (probably more versatile, blends more into an urban environment). Opinions?

US Grant

Reaction score
I would say it depends on when and where you expect to wear it the most. Are you walking around an urban/suburban area primarily or will this be used out at the cabin or hiking? Although it goes against the coat I have for sale, I would suspect that the Charcoal is your better bet.

Maybe it's just me but I feel mildly self-conscious wearing my other red/black plaid (vintage Filson) in the city. For instance yesterday I took a long walk in the woods to go bird watching out on mudflats and forests and farm fields. Given that it was muddy I even had 10" rubber boots on and thank goodness. The red/black kept me from probably being shot and that's why you wear it. But on my way home I stopped by the local coffee shop and the record store down the street and thought, boy, I maybe look like I'm trying too hard (well, to be honest, a little). Hipster appropriation and all that.

So, most bets, I'd say Charcoal. You can wear it with most anything.

converge

Reaction score
Filson bike anyone?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/11/14...aterford-made-bixby-to-new-heights-of-luxury/

Brooks

Reaction score

Why get that, when you can get
Because it's not "heritage" enough. Thinking about it now I'm sure that Bianchi could cash in a bit by making a 10 speed steel frame to capture more of that "heritage" feel.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're joking or serious... That's like telling someone who wants a pair of hiking boots to buy some wingtips instead. Or who wants a 4x4 that can handle snow and mud to buy a Mustang. Or insert other similar metaphor. A carbon road bike is a fine, fine thing. I have one, and have had a number of them over years of racing and riding. But it's not a very good multipurpose machine. You can't carry groceries. You almost certainly can't (easily) ride it in normal shoes. You wont' want to lock it up, and if you do you'll worry about some idiot knocking it over. While the Filson/Shinola comes at a premium, it's also just another example of a very practical bike for a city dweller who wants a bike that fits their lifestyle. If you really love riding, you eventually realize you probably need more than one bike. We love clothes. We have different shoes and jackets for different needs. Bikes are no different. Different horse for different courses.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thought i'd share a shot of my 3 yr old (first run) Levis x Filson trucker jacket.

It's not worn daily, maybe 2 times a week between October and the end of March.

This is one of those items that i'll keep until it's so worn out that i can see through it.

I also own the "Hunter Trucker". I ordered the hunter in the same size as this jacket assuming it would fit the same. I was wrong. To account of the "game pouch" in the hunter Filson had to make the shell of the jacket a little larger, Almost a full size larger if you ask me. For that reason it gets less wear than this jacket. :confused:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the kind words. Yes we do things a bit differently but after a hundred and fifteen years of being in business we must be doing something right. Here's a deal for you guys. We have two of those 900 buck 252 leather field satchels/thin briefcases in stock. You want a deal? I'm knocking almost 200 bucks off the price. you can get one for 699.95. I have some 256 and 257s in stock too including navy. As usual, the routine remains the same. Call the store at 573-254-3311. Don't forget we have Wolverine 1K boots too. As a side note to that. I have some of those 1K messengers laying around. They are very Filsonish. so much so we think they made them for Wolverine. Those go normally for 400 bucks. I'm sick of them taking up my backroom shelf space. You can get one of those for 300 bucks. Tan or olive, your choice.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Messenger Bag and Boot Care Kit by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Wolverine 1000 Mile Messenger Bag and Boot Care Kit by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Kwaker

Reaction score
Hey BC ... have the sleeves of your FxL trucker shrunk? I recall reading that the first run was characterized by fitting a size or two smaller than tagged ... but I read nothing about the sleeves.

My 18-month old FxL Trucker fits true to size and the sleeves are a good 3-4" longer than the body. I'm assuming that my jacket is from a subsequent run.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not that I don't think companies deserve credit for their work, but I'm finding the Filson name stamped everywhere possible sort of obnoxious. The design including colors, materials, and construction really speak for themselves. No need to put ugly logos/name everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads