1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. potomac

potomac New Member

2. gkl

gkl Well-Known Member

I searched this thread and didn't find an answer concerning this - how do Filson's wool bags age? I'm interested in buying a wool field bag but have no idea about the material. I have it in canvas but it's too rough for my tastes so I guess wool could be a nice alternative..

3. Santi Se

Santi Se Member

Anybody knows the THICKNESS of the Filson Belt??

THANKS! :)

4. jhwang116

jhwang116 Member

I just picked up a Weekender in Seattle Fit in small and figured you guys might be interested in a fit picture. For your reference, i'm 5'9 and 155 pounds.

[​IMG]

Overall, the fit is pretty spot on. The shoulders are the right width and there's enough room to layer throughout the body. The arm holes are a little big/low, but I suppose that's to allow for layering. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

However, the chest area can be a bit restricting as I put my hands into the hand warmer pockets on the sides (the motion causes me to expand my chest and bend my elbows at a right angle). Once my hands are in the pockets the chest no longer pulls. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it natural for such a motion to cause the chest to be a bit tight? Overall, the jacket has good mobility and I would say it offers the same range of mobility as a buttoned suit jacket.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Well-Known Member

the fit looks great actually. I was wondering how the new seattle fit would look. bummer about the chest pulling a little bit but i guess that isn't too uncommon when you have a slimmer fitting jacket. if it's not too bad, i'd keep it if i were you. looks good

6. 7018

7018 Active Member

Really diggin this jacket. Hoping to grab it soon

[​IMG]

7. 45bur

45bur Well-Known Member

Looks great. A worthy replacement for the filson/levi's trucker. The collar could use some kind of contrast in texture though, I think.

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fit pic. I have a Weekender in the standard fit and it is my favorite piece of outerwear. I wish they would have offered the new Seattle fit a couple of years ago. However, mine doesn't get overly tight with my hands in the pockets or any other movements - it still remains just as comfortable. Did you try on the regular fit for comparison?
    I'm hoping to pick one of those up for the fall too. That jacket was pretty much love at first sight.

9. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Off to visit my hometown for 10 days. I love my Filson bags - best luggage I've ever used.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. Brooks

Brooks Well-Known Member

Yeah this would look even better with a brown collar.

11. thomasec

thomasec Well-Known Member

12. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Looking for an inexpensive briefcase. Where can I get the 256 briefcase for the lowest price?

13. frodofelix

frodofelix Member

I am selling two Filson Bags on Ebay only used one time! Check it out my ebay Name Frodofelix ;-)

14. US Grant

US Grant Well-Known Member

I've made it to the Seattle Flagship store to try on the new Seattle fit and it's off for me. I'm a 36s suit, 5' 8" so fairly slim so this should be up my alley. I was really excited that finally I could pull Filson off without swimming.

Well this is what I found: The shoulders are very tight in the coats, Mackinaws, tin jackets. The bonded wool has a strange inner texture as if there is a layer of plastic in it- it makes a crinkly, popping sound. The silhouette of the jackets is on for the sleeves and sides, the higher arm holes are great. Again the tight shoulders is strange-I'm hardly a bruiser. I can't imagine layering more than a shirt underneath a small and the medium is a size I might actually get.

However, the fabric, from all the jackets I tried on is very different. The wool on the mackinaw seems thinner, lighter. The tin jackets is DEFINITELY a lighter oz cotton. I really like the Soy Wax Guide Jacket but it is very, very thin fabric. This is the same for the Alaska plaid shirt (Seattle II Shirt) as well- certainly not a 1-1 match with the original shirt. Notice how online they don't tell you the weight on these?

A step in the right direction but the short end of the stick with the fabric. Frustrating.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

Interesting ... I had assumed that only the fit had been changed, but I guess that it makes sense that they also changed the material since the Seattle line is intended for more urban wear.

16. conak

conak Well-Known Member

Hey everyone FYI Orvis has a great deal on Navy Mackinaw Cruiser- $234 sale price, plus another 20% off means 184 for a new Cruiser (they only have Navy, which is a very dark Navy)plus free shipping! Pretty good deal, they go for more used on eBay! not sure how long the sale will last though

17. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Only available in size 40.

18. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

19. US Grant

US Grant Well-Known Member

ah sweet- good reminder about the web specials. need to take a road trip up to their 2nds outlet before too long.

20. muzach

muzach Active Member

I went up to the outlet again yesterday. Didn't get anything this time, but we talked for a bit, as they actually remembered me from a few months back. What was really cool is they showed me several items that were one-of-a-kind prototypes that never went to full production or had design changes in the final version. They were just mixed in with everything else. There was even a coat that will be going to production in a few months, but they happened to get a sample or something. Pretty neat stuff.