1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

I ended up snagging a Yukon Wool Weekender for a good price on Ebay....only to be unsatisfied. It's a really good coat, but not what I want. If anyone wants it, PM me. When I get around to taking some pictures, I'll post on the sales forum. It's size M, forrest green, excellent condition.

2. prozach1576

prozach1576 Well-Known Member

My travel mug came open in my 267 bag the other day and spilled coffee all over the bottom, soaking all the way through in a few spots. I was able to get it dry pretty well with paper towels and then stuffing the bag with newspaper and rotating it over the course of the day, but there is a lingering smell and a visible watermark stain on one of the outside corners.

Any advice on cleaning it? I'm most concerned about getting any smell out of the bottom, since there is padding that I can't get to just by spot cleaning from the outside.

3. herrmj

herrmj Well-Known Member

Try vinegar for the smell.

4. converge

converge Well-Known Member

I recently treated the bridle leather of my 246 with Obenauf's LP. The issue is that some of the stitching has turned white. Can I assume that this will eventually be absorbed by the leather and fade away? It's been three days now and there is still significant white coloring on some of the stitching.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Did you use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer to melt it in? The safe way to use HDLP is put it in a black plastic bag and place it in the sun but that takes awhile, especially at this time of year. I have used HDLP on bridle leather in the past but any more only use Bicks 4 for bridle leather. It does not leave a residue of any type that can rub off onto clothing.

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE NOW???

Now, to buy black or tan?????

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Redbluegreen

Redbluegreen Member

I just picked up the Mackinaw Cruiser in Charcoal at Nordstrom's rack for $120 on the clearance rack. They had a 38 and a 40, so I picked up the 38. Great deal.

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

In case anyone's curious - I got off the phone with Filson today. They will probably be introducing the 257 in the oil cloth next year spring/summer. She said its "in the works and will probably be out next season."

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

If anyone's interested I'm 99% sure I'm going to be selling my ApolisXFilson 256. Let me know if you want it. I'll probably have it up sometime this week but if you beat me to it then its yours.

10. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Well-Known Member

I've done the same, and the white will go away eventually.

I've found that the best way to treat the leather straps is with something liquid like Filson's boot oil. That leather is tough and drinks it right up. Obenauf's is great for weather proofing boots and giving them that waxy feel, but on briefcase leather it's not quite right.

11. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

Looking to purchase a duffle. Cant decide on small or medium. Mostly would be used as a weekender type bag. Possible comparison picture?

Also, do we know if Cranes has a current discount code?

12. CPaul

CPaul Well-Known Member

Just got my cover cloth weekender and really like it. Quality is very good but I wish it was a bit slimmer around the waist. The otter green is really dark right now, almost brown.
    Tried on a Large wool vest liner (to go along with my large jacket) and it definitely doesn't fit. A medium was almost perfect, although a little short.
    The jacket is still pretty oily, so I'm gonna let it air out over the next couple days.

13. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Well-Known Member

Can anyone offer additional referrals or experiences with a product to use on a leather field satchel? Filson recommends saddle soap, but is there a brand that is superior? I also, see recommendations for Bicks 4. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  14. jd82

jd82 Member

15. garsag

garsag Member

Hi!

I'm a Norwgian and will go to New York in February to study for about 3,5 months. And for that I figured out I'm going to need something new to hold my computer, books etc. I have desired a 257 for a long time now, and thought this trip would be the perfect moment to acquire one. So my question is really, where in NY do I get one cheapest? Or is it best to check it out in some store and then purchase online (from filsonguy, for example)?

Thanks

16. herrmj

herrmj Well-Known Member

Stopped by the seattle flagship store at lunch to check out the black levis trucker jacket. Instakop when i saw it in person.

17. So-33

So-33 New Member

This Febuary issue of Men's Journal, has Josh Brolin, on cover wearing a Filson/Levi, jacket.

18. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Well-Known Member

It looks like the zippered tote 261 has about the same carrying capacity as the briefcase 257, but the 257 is twice as expensive, would anybody care to explain? (It can't be just the strap...)

19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

The 261 is literally just a tote bag with a zipper. There are two exterior pockets but that's about it. There are no interior compartments or anything.
    The 257 is a padded computer bag. There's the padded interior compartment, and a couple dividers. There's a bunch of pockets inside for pens and little stuff. There's also a zippered exterior compartment and a flap cover.

They're pretty different bags. I've got both and to be honest, I use the tote a lot more often. If I'm just carrying a couple things I use a lappy sleeve and put it in the tote with power and whatever else. I rarely need to carry all the little bits of stuff that would normally go in all the compartments of the 257.

I can also fit bulkier stuff into the tote. If I make a Costco run and I need to carry granola bars or whatever to work the next day, I can get a couple boxes of those in the toe.

If I always had to carry my lappy and other crap for work, I'd probably use the 257 a lot more.

1 person likes this.
  20. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

if i make a costco run, i go to the one in SoDo (Seattle), and i always stop in the Filson flagship to take a look around. drives my fiance crazy.