1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

I love the pics! Too cute!

Regretably, the Filson dealer near me only carries the black. It's a pity. I'd like to see the others. I don't want the brown because it looks to work-wear/Carrhart for me. I don't know what to make of the olive...does it look like a Barbour or like a work coat? The black has the advantage of being definitely not for working in the fields.

No offense to guys who wear Filsons for working outdoors...it's just not a look that suits me.

2. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

getting those coats for my dogs

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

The liners for the Filson Jackets that are vests are fairly plain. But I like them and often wear the zip in vests on their own. Several of my friends wear the button up vests, including one that lives near Tysons Corner Va. and he wears a Mack vest all winter. The jacket liners are the same and I also wear those, wool is hard to beat period. Especially in the damp wet cold of the East or anywhere else. I prefer the midweight wool but when it gets really cold I will wear gore tex over it as a shell.

The bunching can be stopped in the weekender by using a liner a size smaller as I stated earlier. The length in the sleeves for you may be a show stopper though from the sounds of things. I normally wear a Large in Filson but the XL weekender with a large liner fits me perfectly especially over a sweater or heavy wool shirt.

Nice, I like cover and shelter cloth the best for most wear. I would assume the dog would also [​IMG]
    No offense taken. I realized that a picture that I took last week in SD pheasant hunting had a picture of my black weekender in it:

[​IMG]

The first year it collected lint badly but with a little time and sun exposure it is fine. There is something about a well worn Filson, especially chaps or a Tin Cloth jacket with duct tape patching it that says no need for the Orvis crowd to apply....

4. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

I've had good experience with Filson products and I wanted your opinions on Filson jackets... I took a quick look at their website and there are just way too many options.

Which one do you think is worth getting? I live in Northern California. It gets cold but not THAT cold. I need something that keeps me warm and keeps the wind out. Rain resistance would be nice... And something that dress down easily with t-shirt/henley and jeans or casual button ups + chinos.

Or are the fits of jackets way too boxy to even bother?

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

The filson rain coat is actually a great all arounder. Its great for even frigid temps because it can accept a liner. It already has a hood and is great for that 30ºF-55ºF range. I sized to a small but the cut is a bit boxy (just make sure to try the smaller size if you're normally a medium/large/extra large) I'm normally a medium in other brands (40" chest and normal arm length) they also have an extra long version if you size down to compensate.

The Weekender in black is slim cut (sized correctly) and an awesome coat, it can also accept a insulation liner, but they don't have a matching black hood (the hoods are sold separately). It works perfect for the city as well as the outdoors.

The recent Filson Collaborations have been really really exciting. The levi's trucker jacket was a hit and the also offer it in black now (which looks awesome). The new Filson-Burton collaboration is awesome too... think about it... simple snow board jackets offered in the Filson Oiled cloths.

just hit up the filson website. its all there... from there do some google-fu to find better pricing.

one quick warning about filson jackets though... they often times come with the same zipper used in their bags. that same huge heavy assed duty zipper with the sharp teeth. It looks cool and rugged bit is heavy and a bit too much for some.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

Putting these on Ebay tonight
    Shelter cloth heavy cargo pants
    size 34x34 with 8.5"x8.5" pockets

[​IMG]

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I'm on my second winter with my cover cloth weekender and it is a fantastic piece of outerwear. I also have the Mackinaw wool vest liner and rarely ever zip it in because of the annoying bunching that others have mentioned (I wish I would have looked into ordering the vest in a size smaller). But the vest works well as a piece of outerwear on its own so in the end I don't really have much to complain about there. If I lived in DC, I probably wouldn't even bother with the liner/vest at all, although I am generally a pretty warm person - I think the jacket and a sweater are perfect when the temps are about 20º to 30º.

I do have two complaints:

• I wish the hood would have been included (I have the otter green one)
    • Mine is only just over a year old and could already use a re-waxing (this is my first waxed piece of outerwear though so maybe my expectations were just too high)

Over the year I've had it, I have worn mine in snow, sleet, and rain, to work clearing brush and putting up hay and straw and splitting wood. The jacket still looks great and doesn't look out of place being worn to work at my office in the morning on days I am wearing jeans, chinos, or cords.

Filson also makes a whipcord Weekender that looks really nice. If I ever decide I need yet another piece of casual outerwear (or I somehow destroy my cover cloth Weekender), I will probably upgrade to that one.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Me too. My dog is a 25 lb pug/beagle mix. I'm hoping I can size it right. The small pictured above may work if Brutus stays slim.

9. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

yeah my dogs are around 20-25lbs.

1 person likes this.
  10. vinnynyc72

vinnynyc72 Member

11. LawrenceMD

12. DC Office Hack

Which would be a better choice for a winter coat, the Cover Cloth Weekender (which would require a liner) or the Shelter Cloth Foothills Parka (which would not require a liner)? I can't figure out what the relative merits of either are other than that the Foothills Parka would be cheaper and perhaps warmer, while the Cover Cloth Weekender would be more versatile (since it can be worn without a liner). Anything else I should consider?

13. DC Office Hack

And by the way, has anyone else noticed that the Mack cruisers are now all with a lighter weight wool? I presume this makes the Cruisers less warm...any idea by how much?

14. LawrenceMD

you'd only realistically wear the foothills parka barely three months out of the year in washington dc... so in lieu of that it may actually be a more pragmatic choice to go with the more versatile weekender. I wouldn't even buy a liner for it and just layer it with a sweater.

with my Filson Rain Coat I just wear a patagonia super light down fleece vest as a layer if its really cold... but thats rare... I'm in NYC/Boston most of the time.

15. DC Office Hack

I keep coming back to the mackinaw cruiser--I had the pleasure of trying one on recently. However, I balk at the fact that Filson has lowered the wool weight from 26oz to 24oz. I worry that all of the testimonies regarding how warm it is are based on the older 26oz weight; how warm can I expect the coat to be with only 24oz? What difference does 2oz make?

16. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Well-Known Member

They cheaped out, no matter how they spin it, but the mack cruiser is still solid. If you're worried about warmth and weather resistance go for the double mack. I have one and it's the best piece of foul weather gear I own - snow, rain etc. Looks sharp too. Can't beat it!

17. DC Office Hack

I suspect the double's overkill for me in Washington, DC.

Part of what bothers me about the downgrade in the Mack wool is that they're being deceptive about the product. They're marketing the cruiser as an "original" since the beginning of time...it certainly looks the part, but it turns out that it's far from being whatever it was that Filson made and sold back in the day. It's simply not the product that earned the reputation it has. It also is not the product discussed in the reviews on the Filson website.
    Still, what can I say? I want one. I walked in thinking I preferred the navy, but that green is really something...

18. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised with the double. Yes, it's heavy wool with a double layer on the shoulders, arms and back. But it's still unlined, and the nature of the cut means it's drafty. With temps in the 40's and just a work shirt under it I still get a bit of a chill. Then again, when it occasionally gets down into the 20's or lower here in NJ I feel just about the same. I think that's the nature of unlined wool - it retains about as much heat as you need it to, and breathes the rest out. If it's all-around weather resistance you want - cold rain, sleet, snow, wind etc. - I think the double is where it's at. If you want something that's overall more sharp looking then get the single. The extra layer adds visual bulk to the way the double looks, doesn't have as flattering a cut as I think the singles do.

19. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

i also have a weekender cover cloth jacket, in black, and i love it. fits me much better than the barbour beauford i once had. i recently grabbed the hood too, as they just started making it in black. had to sew two buttons on to the collar myself, which i didn't mind doing. not the most integrated hood solution i've ever seen, but it gets the job done.

grabbed the liner vest too at the beginning of fall, and have yet to use it. the jacket is perfectly comfortable in the drizzle-y mid 40's aka Seattle.

20. CPaul

CPaul Well-Known Member

So how oily is the canvas cloth? Does it rub off on shirts?