1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

2. randomkoreandude

hows the filson rucksack? cheapest price i can find is through cranes?

3. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

yes I might get one for the gym. who knows it might be good size for traveling as well

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. randomkoreandude

i use for traveling

medium is too big for my frame (5'7 140lbs)

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

anyone have the Vans collab version of the backpack?

was that a limited ed or is it stll around anywhere?

TIA

6. hideout

hideout Well-Known Member

i tried (not particularly hard though) to find the vans rucksack for a while and gave up, couldn't seem to find one anywhere.

i bought a regular rucksack a few days ago and it's great, except for an insanely loud squeaking sound where the metal ring on the shoulder straps meets the top of the bag... anyone else experience this? should i try to grease it up somehow or just hope it goes away with time?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  7. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

I've been traveling with the pullman, both overstuffing it with gifts and checking it while returning from international travel, and leaving it underpacked to be a carry on. I'd recommend it.

8. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Just curious, I know the Levis oiled jacket has been discussed concerning it's..oiliness. And someone said that it eventually wears off or at least stops feeling greasy but can anyone tell me approx how long we're talking? I find it unwearable as it is now, which is brand new. I like to wear it with just a tshirt but I cant because it makes my arms all waxy- it aint cool. I really just want it to be dry at this point, is there anything that will cause this? I dont think I can wear it for 2 years this way.

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

I own the black oilcloth weekender jacket which also is oily. It is a lint magnet beyond believe because of that but I have always worn shirts or a liner under it. It is almost a year old and still fairly oily yet. Hanging it out in the sun will help the oil "cook" off, in fact thanks for reminding me to do so! You could have it dry cleaned to remove the oil but that defeats the waterproofness and part of the reason to own a Filson in the first place.

10. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how much it would help to let it sit in the sun? I don't really care so much about the waterproofing, I know that sounds strange, but I mainly like the color and fit of the jacket. So dry cleaning, and possibly losing some weatherproofing, could be an option if that would actually make it much less waxy.

11. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

12. rpiotr01

rpiotr01 Well-Known Member

Pre-ordered mine as well. Love the cruiser style, but be advised that this one doesn't have side hand warmer pockets. Don't know why they wouldn't have those, but they didn't have them on the Scarlet Cruiser last year either so I guess it's an "authenticity" thing. Still, for $300+ it would be nice.

Anyway, looks to be a great weight for fall and spring, when my double mac is too much. Will be interesting to see what the material is actually like, I'm hoping it's similar to whipcord, but a little lighter/ smoother.

13. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

I recently had the pleasure of trying on a cover cloth weekender. Fantastic jacket. Any thoughts on its utility as a winter coat? I'd get it with the wool liner and/or want to be able to layer a sweater or a fleece under it when the temps drop.

I'm in DC, so I don't expect to have to deal with anything in the 20sF or below.

14. Cold Iron

Great Jacket, I have it in black. The brown and green take a hood, that is not an option for black however. I prefer the Seattle weight for a liner in that jacket however they no longer offer the vest, just the jacket in Seattle weight (grhhhh!). The weekender fits a bit smaller than other Filson items that I own and a Large liner fits better than the XL which is what the jacket is. So you might want to try different liners and sizes in it if you can. Size down one size to start with if you can't. For the temp range you are talking I feel it is perfect and about the range I wear mine in.

15. DC Office Hack

Meaning if I get a large (that's what I tried on...I'm a 42s, by the way), I should experiment with a medium liner?

What do you mean by "seattle weight"?

I tried on a large while wearing a thin cotton sweater and a Filson fleece lent to me by the salesman. It all felt good and trim, although it made me wonder if I would be able to pull off both a liner and a sweater.

16. Cold Iron

Yes I would try a medium zip in liner in a large weekender jacket.

Seattle Weight is a mid weight wool. The weekender is made to take liner vests although I often wear a wool jacket liner in mine in addition to the vest. The heaviest vest liner is Mackinaw wool and the lightest Moleskin. The Seattle weight is slightly less heavy than the Mackinaw. But now is only offered in a jacket and not a vest.

You might want to size up if you plan on layering with a sweater. Sounds like you have a store near you that offers items to try on and I would do that and don't be afraid to ask the SA questions about options on the liners.

17. DC Office Hack

What's the consensus? Do we prefer a jacket liner or a vest? Which weight?

The reviews of the weekender on the Filson site indicate that some people find that the liner bunches...perhaps that's a bigger problem with the heavier Mackinaw liners than with the lighter fare?

18. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

try zipping in one of those north face fleece vests (that is used for zip-in liners as well as being a regular fleece jacket). I did that with my Filson Rain Jacket when it got really cold (like below 20ºF). I understand the black filson weekender is a lot slimmer fitting (in my own experience) so you might have to really size down with the fleece. For instance with my filson rain coat I have a small (but it fits more like a medium in other brands, and use an old north face fleece vest size small zipped in as an insulator on very bitter cold days).

the filson vests are great, but with the slimmer fit of the black weekender it can get really bulky unless if you size up (which defeats the purpose of having a nice fitting weekender jacket).

other than that though I just layer with a thin merino wool sweater, that'll actually get you through pretty much any temperature above 30ºF with a good hat and gloves.

19. DC Office Hack

This echos a comment by the sales guy: he said that black weekender was cut different than the other weekenders. I couldn't find anything on the Filson website, however, that backs that up. Are you saying the black is different or just that the weekenders--whatever the color--are more trim that other Filson jackets?

I'd hate to size up: the already too long sleeves would be ridiculous on me.

Edit: I just called Filson, who said no, the black is no different from the others. Nice woman, by the way. I always appreciate when customer service reps seem to know their company's products. It's surprisingly rare.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

^yes the black weekender is cut slimmer from the other weekenders. I tried them on first hand at Hilton's Tent City in Boston a couple months back. and the black weekender is an awesome jacket thats cut a little slimmer. the only knock on it is that they don't offer a black hood for it (they only have the normal green/brown/ hoods).

normall filson jackets are cut fuller (almost a size bigger) unless its a collaboration like the Levi's stuff (which was actually cut super slim).

just try zipping in a north face/or another brand's zip in vest. usually the stores that carry filson will have north face too. the one thing with filson jackets is that they are heavy, so think about how heavy zipping in even a mid weight filson vest will make that jacket.

here's something cool I finally tried out from filson:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filson dog coats for my dog! they have the oiled cloth for wet weather and are reversible, one has an orange cloth for hiking in hunting areas, and the other one is the super warm Mackinaw wool for when its very cold.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012