1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. colins

colins Well-Known Member

2. davidko

davidko Member

I'm planning to buy the Filson Western Mackinaw vest, and I'm a little unsure about sizing. I know Filson usually fits on the large side, so being about a 38 jacket, would I be better off with a small or a medium? I'm about six feet tall, but 170 lbs ish. Any opinions, or anyone have experience or fit pics with this item?

3. eightdouble

eightdouble Well-Known Member

i carried a 15" macbook pro in this bag (edit: 258) for a long while, but that's about the biggest computer you could get in this. it was always kind of annoying to get in and out, so when they came out with the 13" macbook pro i got one of those. there are few bags nice enough that they make someone choose a computer to fit it, instead of the other way around. [​IMG]

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

just got filson dry tin pants and a zippered tote, dope stuff.

5. ludlowst

ludlowst Member

beautiful bag, eightdouble

6. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

i carried a 15" macbook pro in this bag (256) for a long while, but that's about the biggest computer you could get in this. it was always kind of annoying to get in and out, so when they came out with the 13" macbook pro i got one of those. there are few bags that make one chose a computer to fit it, instead of the other way around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMG_0095.jpg

Isn't that a 258 (and not a 256)?

7. eightdouble

eightdouble Well-Known Member

Isn't that a 258 (and not a 256)?

correct. i messed it up.

8. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

9. srivats

Crossposted from the Filson thread over at MC.
    Here are some images pictures showing the carrying capacity of 256, 257 and the 258 for those who have a hard time deciding between the three.

Filson 256:

This briefcase is not padded. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 4" D.

[​IMG]

Filson 256 with a 15" macbook and a couple of folders and small accesories:
    [​IMG]

Filson 257:

This briefcase is not padded either, but it is better if you carry a laptop everyday. Has plenty of space and is well compartmentalized. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 6" D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a 13" macbook inside (and other items):
    [​IMG]

With a 15" macbook pro:
    [​IMG]

Filson 258:

This has a padded laptop compartment but doesn't necessarily have a higher carrying capacity than than the 257. It definitely looks bigger. Official dimensions are: 16 1/2" W x 14" H x 7 1/2" D. First pic is from the Filson website clearly showing the size of the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Anything that holds a 17" MBP?

11. srivats

Anything that holds a 17" MBP?

The behemoth 17" macbook pro dimensions are about 15.5"x10.5"x1". It may barely fit in the 257 (center compartment) without a sleeve, but I do not recommend a filson if you own a 17" macbook.

12. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

Filson 256 with a 15" macbook and a couple of folders and small accesories: [​IMG]
    i own this and use daily for my mbp with a sleeve and works great. unless you have a bunch of stuff, like lots of papers/thick book, it does really well

13. kgmessier

The behemoth 17" macbook pro dimensions are about 15.5"x10.5"x1". It may barely fit in the 257 (center compartment) without a sleeve, but I do not recommend a filson if you own a 17" macbook.

You know your shit. What do you recommend?

14. bananananana

bananananana Well-Known Member

fwiw i put a 17" hp laptop in my 258 with no problem along with notebooks and other crap. No sleeve, i figure the padding in the bag is good enough.

15. srivats

You know your shit. What do you recommend?

What's your budget? And what kind of a bag are you looking for? Filson-like or the usual laptop bag style?

16. kgmessier

What's your budget? And what kind of a bag are you looking for? Filson-like or the usual laptop bag style?

Filson, $300-$500, closer to 3.

17. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Great post above showing the differences in sizes between the bags. Worth noting, I think, that IMO both the 257 and 258 appear smaller IRL than in the pics above - the 258 because of the perspective, and the 257 because it's being worn by a borderline midget.

18. srivats

Filson, $300-$500, closer to 3.

The 258 is definitely out:
    The filson rucksack will probably work for you. So will the Filson passage saddleback (nylon fabric, and not made in USA). Not sure if you want the backpack style though.

19. srivats

Great prices on Filson luggage (and free shipping) on this website -- wish I had seen this before:

http://www.hanksclothing.com/Luggage-and-Travel.html

They have the 256 for $168 and the 256 for $208, drop shipped directly from Filson. Those are the lowest prices I have seen for these items.

20. moryanzi

moryanzi New Member

hello all, i want to order a Filson Tin Cruiser on website, but still cant decide the size.

i am 180cm and 73KG, should I order a 38 or 40? thank you.