1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Sep 30, 2009.

1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

not sure if theres an official Filson thread already. i looked around and didnt seem to have one around, although arguably Cranes is the official Filson thread [​IMG]

so i purchased a filson mackinaw wool vest in gray from cranes last season

http://www.filson.com/product/index....069837.2118239

now that its getting a bit cooler i was trying to wear it but was wondering if anyone had ever tailored them to be a bit slimmer?

I know that these were not meant to be that way, but i love how it looks, just wish it wasnt so billowy and wide around the torso. so thinking of taking it in ... thoughts?

2. randomkoreandude

no one has thought about tailoring a filson wool vest or jacket?

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

if it needs to be done, do it.

4. van_hammersly

van_hammersly Well-Known Member

Neat thread. I picked up a 256 briefcase in tan (cause the apolis x filson was wayy out of my price range) and I love it. I might pick up some filson gloves soon.

5. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

I own the Mackinaw Cruiser, duffle bag, and the Guide Sweater. All top notch.

6. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I have nothing to add other than I wish this thread much luck in winning out and providing more posts than the Gap Chambray Shirt thread. Godspeed.

7. korce

korce Well-Known Member

I have a Mackinaw Vest in gray (among other Filson items) and mind fits quite well. A little boxy in the body, but not billowy. I did size down though (bought a 36 instead of 38).

8. randomkoreandude

I have a Mackinaw Vest in gray (among other Filson items) and mind fits quite well. A little boxy in the body, but not billowy. I did size down though (bought a 36 instead of 38).

yeah boxy would have been a better description. its just if you are wearing a slim oxford/shirt underneath it is just kind of a bit too wide.

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Perfect.

Another thread to clutter up the front page I need to ignore.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

This is a thread i started in the mens ware section on filson bags with pictures:

it was nice too actually see other bags with patina.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

not sure if theres an official Filson thread already. i looked around and didnt seem to have one around, although arguably Cranes is the official Filson thread [​IMG]

so i purchased a filson mackinaw wool vest in gray from cranes last season

http://www.filson.com/product/index....069837.2118239

now that its getting a bit cooler i was trying to wear it but was wondering if anyone had ever tailored them to be a bit slimmer?

I know that these were not meant to be that way, but i love how it looks, just wish it wasnt so billowy and wide around the torso. so thinking of taking it in ... thoughts?

11. randomkoreandude

cool ... i like the pics. i just noticed that all of those filson bags have that leather snap enclosure for the handles. i wonder why the apolis x filson bags did not do that as well?

12. van_hammersly

van_hammersly Well-Known Member

cool ... i like the pics. i just noticed that all of those filson bags have that leather snap enclosure for the handles. i wonder why the apolis x filson bags did not do that as well?

the apolis x filson is based on the 256 which doesnt have the strap. But it can be installed at extra cost when you order it.

13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

In my opinion the Mackinaw vests fits very nicely, but I guess boxy would be descriptive aswell. I have one in black/gray plaid and also a khaki poplin (?) hunting vest (which however is on the too large side). Furthermore, I got a Mackinaw jacket, but I have yet to try it on, as it was shipped to my parents place. All in all, love filson, and would own alot more if I didnt have to order from the US...
    On the pick up list is some dry Tin pants, and some kind of hat.

14. iDoc

iDoc Well-Known Member

the apolis x filson is based on the 256 which doesnt have the strap. But it can be installed at extra cost when you order it.

Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

15. randomkoreandude

Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

wow thats great ... how do you do that? contact filson directly?

16. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

I think I"ll do that once I actually get my Apolis x Filson bag next week hopefully.

17. iDoc

iDoc Well-Known Member

wow thats great ... how do you do that? contact filson directly?
    Yep, call the number listed on the website. Took about a week and a half to get the bag back.

18. randomkoreandude

thanks man ill definitely post pics before and after

19. iDoc

iDoc Well-Known Member

thanks man ill definitely post pics before and after

Highly recommend it. Makes the bag more comfortable to hold when using the handles. Also keeps the handles in place and prevents them from flopping around when using the shoulder strap.

20. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member